Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 06-08-22, 08:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In this guy's case, he started falling around the house a couple years ago. My friend offered to help put hand rails around his house and even outside so he could get to the car safely, (he doesn't drive), and he insisted he's not ready for that. Friend tried to help set up the house so he can use a walker, "not yet" he insisted.

He didn't put up too much of a fight when they took his car away but even after multiple hospitalizations from falling, including breaking his hip, he doesn't think he's ready for the walker or even a cane. We'll see how he does after the hip surgery.

My other friend's father has crashed several cars in the last couple years but refuses to stop driving. He wants a new Tesla but he can't operate a smart phone. He's in his late 80s.
Well, makes sense since the Tesla can drive itself.
Old 06-08-22, 08:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I am okay the bike appears to be good from looking at it. Just the above mentioned stuff. looks like I didn’t seat the quick link correctly. My mini van is in Charlotte so I am trying to wrestle the madone into the wife’s car so the shop can install it. I know I had it the chain seated, but it went together with my fingers which doesn’t seem right.

Get the pliers, and once you have it seated use the pliers to spread the link until there is a good "click." "Hand tight" is not really tight enough.
Old 06-08-22, 09:00 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Get the pliers, and once you have it seated use the pliers to spread the link until there is a good "click." "Hand tight" is not really tight enough.

right. I don’t want to fall down my drive way again, shop can do it.
Old 06-08-22, 09:02 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Noooo! This guy needs to stop driving!
Another Tesla story: The husband of Mrs John's friend bought a Tesla because his neighbor has one. Went all-in for the top dollar model but was afraid to drive it for months. Instead, he drove his wife's car and she had to use the Tesla, she didn't want to, until she figured it out enough to gradually teach him how to use it. I think he uses it unassisted now. He's about 74, I think.
Old 06-08-22, 09:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Who is it?
Did you ever encounter "Audrey" on SA? Great sailor and wonderful guy with the perfect combination of competitiveness and calm. Tim Ford (also currently on SA) and I crewed on his 4KSB in a bunch of Screwpile regattas and then he started a rigging and boat mgmt company <https://harneyyachtrigging.com>. He still works as a project manager somewhere for the health insurance.

Tim (foredeck) and I (mast) once ran his boat right onto someone's back yard, when I forgot about the mast cleat and we couldn't get the kite down. He just sat at the helm and calmly said, "Guys, would you please get it down...please...," never raising his voice, until we hit the mud. My kind of pro!
Old 06-08-22, 09:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Nope. I could be a serious sailor.
We'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-08-22, 09:21 AM
Mojo31
-------

Noooo! This guy needs to stop driving!
Another Tesla story: The husband of Mrs John's friend bought a Tesla because his neighbor has one. Went all-in for the top dollar model but was afraid to drive it for months. Instead, he drove his wife's car and she had to use the Tesla, she didn't want to, until she figured it out enough to gradually teach him how to use it. I think he uses it unassisted now. He's about 74, I think.
I kind of expect that when I reach bumper cars age, I'll get something cheap to bang around. If they have self-drivers by then, I will likely sign up for one. I expect though that I'll still be a capable driver in my 70s and hopefully in my 80s.

I get the nerves about driving an expensive car. I was really nervous driving the Taycan for a while since it's the first car that I've paid over $100k for. Probably my last as well.
Old 06-08-22, 09:24 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I did my first wordle today, and failed. No spoilers, but I'm concerned about the apparent rules. Not like that game show, which is what I expected. The dealer defo has the advantage. Alas
It takes a bit of getting the hang of. Whether you enjoy it enough to get there with is up to you of course.
Old 06-08-22, 09:25 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Did you ever encounter "Audrey" on SA? Great sailor and wonderful guy with the perfect combination of competitiveness and calm. Tim Ford (also currently on SA) and I crewed on his 4KSB in a bunch of Screwpile regattas and then he started a rigging and boat mgmt company <https://harneyyachtrigging.com>. He still works as a project manager somewhere for the health insurance.

Tim (foredeck) and I (mast) once ran his boat right onto someone's back yard, when I forgot about the mast cleat and we couldn't get the kite down. He just sat at the helm and calmly said, "Guys, would you please get it down...please...," never raising his voice, until we hit the mud. My kind of pro!
Don't know about him, but I haven't been on SA in a decade or more. Sounds like the kind of guy you want.

Hard to drop a sail when the halyard is cleated. That much I know!

By the way, aren't you supposed to release the mast cleat once the halyard clutch on deck is closed?
Old 06-08-22, 09:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by gnome
He was drunk and fell off the boat. or possibly back into the dinghy. my guess is he got is leg caught in the ladder.
It involved one of these.

He and the owner had consumed some number of gin and tonics and two bottles of wine at dinner. This was in Maine, where the water was probably in the 50s, the guy is in his 70s, and lucky it wasn't worse.
Old 06-08-22, 09:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28428 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
He was drunk and fell off the boat. or possibly back into the dinghy. my guess is he got is leg caught in the ladder.
Ah that witty MoAlpha .
Old 06-08-22, 09:27 AM
Mojo31
-------

We'll keep that in mind.
Might be a good sea anchor.
Old 06-08-22, 09:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I've been saying I'm going to put handrails in the showers. One more thing on the list. My eyes are going to stop me from driving. Unless I get that cataract surgery they're talking about. The beauty of living here is that public transportation is so good that a car isn't really needed. It can save some time, going direct to a place that would take multiple buses, but it could be done without. The vast majority of the populace does without.
Not there yet. The previous owner of our house had them in the tiny shower stall in the master bedroom. The stall is small enough that I was forever hitting my elbow on the damn things. Eventually, we decided that the 1 1/2 gallons of water we wasted waiting for the hot water to make its way from the water heater was not drought conscious. That, and the shower stall in the front bathroom is way bigger.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-08-22, 09:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Don't know about him, but I haven't been on SA in a decade or more. Sounds like the kind of guy you want.

Hard to drop a sail when the halyard is cleated. That much I know!

By the way, aren't you supposed to release the mast cleat once the halyard clutch on deck is closed?
That certainly makes sense, but halyards can find their way back into them inadvertently, which may have been what happened. On the J/105s, I think it was was a class or fleet rule that the main halyard cleat had to be removed or taped over. They other rule I try to follow is "halyard in your hand: look up where you stand." It avoids a lot of trouble.
Old 06-08-22, 09:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

That certainly makes sense, but halyards can find their way back into them inadvertently, which may have been what happened. On the J/105s, I think it was was a class or fleet rule that the main halyard cleat had to be removed or taped over. They other rule I try to follow is "halyard in your hand: look up where you stand." It avoids a lot of trouble.
When I had a boat with a spin halyard cleat on the mast, I mounted it off set from the line of the halyard by about 4 inches. When the clutch was closed, the bowman popped it out of the mast cleat. Since it was offset, there was very little risk of it re-engaging. Worked well except when you forgot to release the damn thing.
Old 06-08-22, 09:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28428 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,297 Posts
DougRNS

Old 06-08-22, 10:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

In this guy's case, he started falling around the house a couple years ago. My friend offered to help put hand rails around his house and even outside so he could get to the car safely, (he doesn't drive), and he insisted he's not ready for that. Friend tried to help set up the house so he can use a walker, "not yet" he insisted.

He didn't put up too much of a fight when they took his car away but even after multiple hospitalizations from falling, including breaking his hip, he doesn't think he's ready for the walker or even a cane. We'll see how he does after the hip surgery.

My other friend's father has crashed several cars in the last couple years but refuses to stop driving. He wants a new Tesla but he can't operate a smart phone. He's in his late 80s.
Dad drove up till he was 95 or 96, I believe. He'd had one knee replaced at 91, and they did the other one at 96 (That took some convincing my sister, but the argument was with his advancing dementia, he'd forget his knee didn't work, put weight on it and fall, maybe breaking a hip) and that was the end of his driving, much to the relief of all of us.

The 5 years before that, after Mom died, he'd gotten increasingly dotty. Some things were worn into his mind like those old wagon wheel tracks on the Oregon trail, like how to get to the dry cleaners in Gettysburg, where he took his shirts to be laundered. But anything newer than about his mid 80s got less and less accessible and more easily lost. He could always find the place he went for his PT, but coming out of the parking lot there, his brain would tell him, from long experience, that if he took a left, he could cut across the Battlefield roads to get to the road that headed to our town, rather than turning right to go through G-burg, where he'd definitely remember the way. If he went left, sometimes he'd forget to turn onto the battlefield road, and then he might forget where he was headed. Same thing for his dentist, after they moved out of the little town they'd been in for years to a spot farther out. He might forget he was headed there, or he might forget which way to turn to get home.

So, he'd keep driving, hoping to find something familiar to jog his memory, but headed farther and farther from home. And eventually he'd stop and ask for help. Once he got almost two hours from home before stopping. That time, one of the people Dad asked for help called my sister and then drove his car so Dad could follow to get him home. People can be really good.

Old 06-08-22, 10:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Pittsburgh is one of the places we're thinking about. My family's from there originally, it's not a bad place, we have at least one friend there, etc. And I figure with the way they eat there, we won't have to make our money stretch for as many years!

Old 06-08-22, 10:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

And if it is, it's probably time for a new link.

Old 06-08-22, 10:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I drove through driving rain yesterday afternoon, so thick that I got behind a bus and stayed there, flashers flashing. At home, of course, 10 km away, the streets were dry.
Funny that they call it a "driving rain" when driving in it is so awful.

Old 06-08-22, 10:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

And, apparently, stop itself for no reason. Or drive under a semi trailer.

Old 06-08-22, 10:36 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I've never cramped before, during or after a ride. I must be doing something wrong.
I cramp at night after bedtime, apparently to tell me I'm getting too much sleep.

Actually it tells me I've been slacking in my water intake, a bad habit of mine.

The worse part is trying to not sound like a b**** and wake the LSS up.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-08-22, 10:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut

Also, depending on the date, I may be available. Just throwing that out there.
Old 06-08-22, 10:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Funny that they call it a "driving rain" when driving in it is so awful.
The latter is a derivative of the former, of course.
Old 06-08-22, 10:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Slow morning. Everyone must be reliving last night's NBA finals game. Which I do not yet know the outcome of. I was watching highlights last evening It has become a 3 pointer game. Can't say as I like the change.
There was no NBA game last night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.