Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Any known issues with the Tour Easy?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 06:20 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Riding up to look at one next week. Any weak links on this model. I will be doing a check on the headset and crank arms, but is there anything else to check? Looking to pull the drive train and set it up with a lower granny gear for touring.
Old 07-04-22, 02:38 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Check out the several reviews on Bentrideronline 'BentRider Online » Search Results » tour easy. The latest one is 10 years old. If my math is correct and this bike was already 14 years in production in 2000, it has been around for 36 years. I don't know of any other recumbent that can match that record.
Old 07-05-22, 10:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Check out the several reviews on Bentrideronline 'BentRider Online » Search Results » tour easy. The latest one is 10 years old. If my math is correct and this bike was already 14 years in production in 2000, it has been around for 36 years. I don't know of any other recumbent that can match that record.
By now the RANS Stratus probably has that record. It is still available, and is a great bent.
Old 07-05-22, 02:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
By now the RANS Stratus probably has that record. It is still available, and is a great bent.
I don't see any new Stratus models on the Phoenix Bike WRX site. But, probably lots of used ones available various places.
Old 07-06-22, 08:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The only potential problem point I can think of is the fork. The headset angle is very relaxed and applies some extra stress on the fork. I've seen some cases where a fork leg broke, even the steel ones. Near The End(tm), Gardner Martin recommended replacing the fork every so often, as a preventive maintenance measure. I'm not sure where you could find a direct replacement anymore, but one could be fabricated by the likes of AD Carson., who runs Recycled Recumbents.
Old 07-06-22, 09:06 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all. I went up early. Alas, bike was a bit small for me.