Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nice Road, or Road and MTB bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 08:41 AM
Daubs
New Guy

Bikes: Trek 330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

History: I've been biking off and on since high school (mid-80's). Got a new Trek 330 back in late 80's. Love the bike and put many miles on it. For past 10 years or so my biking has slowed considerably while living in the country on a rock road. Now I'm back in town with lots of trails and good roads.

Here is my problem:

I've budgeted around $2k for a bike and extras. Will probably stick with Trek because my 330 has been so good to me and my LBS has a nice selection. Thinking about the following and would like some opinions:

Plan A:
- Trek road bike in the $1,600-1,800 range. Want to save some $$ for shoes, accessories, etc. Looking at 2100, 2200 or 5000.

Plan B:
- Lower end Trek road bike AND Trek mountain bike. Just got wife a 1500 and really like the bike. We paid just over $1k for it. Team that with a hard-tail mountain bike, maybe even last year's model to save some $$$.

What do you all think?
Old 04-18-06, 08:43 AM
Specializerider

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to mountain bike and im thinking about getting a road bike so i would suggest getting a Road Bike and Mountain Bike but think to yourself would you accually go mountain biking?
Old 04-18-06, 08:45 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
It all depends upon how much riding on each surface you'll be doing. I personally would get the nicest road bike I could afford, then save up for the mtb. later.(I actually did the reverse).

You could probably get a nice bike with all 105 group and have plenty left over to get a hardtail mtb. though.

I can understand you wanting to stay with Trek but do try to check out other bikes. Does the Trek dealer carry other brands? Lemond? Klein?
Old 04-18-06, 08:47 AM
Daubs
New Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they carry other brands. I've got on them while the wife was trying bikes and the Trek's just felt better to me.

Don't worry, I'll spend a lot of time trying / riding, etc., before I buy.
Old 04-18-06, 08:51 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been talked into MTB'ing 3 times. Every time, I hated it. So, you know my answer.

But, for you, I guess it depends on how much of each you will do. Can you put a percentage on how much you would ride each? Like me: Road- 100% MTB- 0% If the numbers are really skewed towards one side, I would buy the nicest bike in that bracket. But if it is 50/50, I would buy decent bikes in both ranges.
Old 04-18-06, 08:54 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
a friend oif mine just picked up one of these a month ago. it's a good looking bike, with pretty good components (apart from the wheels). all this and more for 1150$

Originally Posted by Daubs
History: I've been biking off and on since high school (mid-80's). Got a new Trek 330 back in late 80's. Love the bike and put many miles on it. For past 10 years or so my biking has slowed considerably while living in the country on a rock road. Now I'm back in town with lots of trails and good roads.

Here is my problem:

I've budgeted around $2k for a bike and extras. Will probably stick with Trek because my 330 has been so good to me and my LBS has a nice selection. Thinking about the following and would like some opinions:

Plan A:
- Trek road bike in the $1,600-1,800 range. Want to save some $$ for shoes, accessories, etc. Looking at 2100, 2200 or 5000.

Plan B:
- Lower end Trek road bike AND Trek mountain bike. Just got wife a 1500 and really like the bike. We paid just over $1k for it. Team that with a hard-tail mountain bike, maybe even last year's model to save some $$$.

What do you all think?
Old 04-18-06, 09:04 AM
Daubs
New Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Botto: Yep, my wife has exact same bike, minus Disc channel stickers. She got for $1049. It's nice bike and light as feather compared to my steel framed 330
Old 04-18-06, 09:27 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't want to stir up another Trek debate, but I don't understand the reasoning for sticking with Trek. Things have changed alot in the past 20 years, so it seems a little strange to stick to one brand. There are other big manufacturors such as Giant, Specialized, Cannondale etc who also produce excellent bikes. You never know, one of those might fit better or be better for your purposes. Its not like other manufacturor's bikes are exploding/collapsing on the road on a regular basis.
Old 04-18-06, 09:46 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
sorry. just realized that i didn't read your entire post. my bad

Botto: Yep, my wife has exact same bike, minus Disc channel stickers. She got for $1049. It's nice bike and light as feather compared to my steel framed 330
Old 04-18-06, 10:10 AM
Daubs
New Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mingsta: See below...

Yes, they carry other brands. I've got on them while the wife was trying bikes and the Trek's just felt better to me.

Don't worry, I'll spend a lot of time trying / riding, etc., before I buy.