Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding without seat pain: possible?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding without seat pain: possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 09:43 PM
Downshift

Bikes: 86 Schwinn Peloton (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever notice that when someone asks a question about saddle comfort, the Brooks disciples come out.
Should tell you something.
Old 04-20-06, 09:47 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Downshift
Ever notice that when someone asks a question about saddle comfort, the Brooks disciples come out.
Should tell you something.
It tells me that they're fanatics.
Old 04-20-06, 11:08 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it just me, or is the saddle market dominated by those horrific gel-padded seats? And whats up with some of these new spring suspension seats? Those springs have so much give that, coupled with gel padding, there is very little support for your sit bones. I just got a new bike with one of them seats and took it for a 15Km run. That was my first complaint. I'm sure with those springs both sides of the saddle were flexing immensly with each stroke. The old style springs with only a bit of give... that's the way to do spring suspension if you're going to have it, and even then, I sometimes think that's a bit much.
Old 04-20-06, 11:48 PM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Bikes: 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so far, i've been riding on arione, forte slx, and now trying the terry fly (buzzoff). out of those three, so far i still like the arione. but i'm tempted to try the Forté T1 Tri Saddle. I would try the Selle SMP Strike Pro Saddle because of the design.. but cost hella bank. anyone tried it yet?
Old 04-21-06, 12:04 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedex
Lycra is all well and good till the weather goes to sheot, then what?
I find this interesting, because bad weather is when I personally usually find the most benefit in cycling specific clothing. I don't ride as much as you, but I commute all winter in Madison WI 10 miles each way. Sometimese it's below zero. Sometimes it's 35 and raining. When it's cold, I rather like insulated tights and my softshell jacket.

On the other hand, today it was 60s and sunny. I wore boxer briefs, basketball shorts and a tshirt.

When it's wet or damp, I also find bike shorts to compare more favorably. Anyway, go with what works I guess.
Old 04-21-06, 12:28 AM
zabba

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the LBS - tried a few and settled on the Fizik Aliante Carbon. No problems anymore!

I agree with the notion that it is a saddle not a seat! Be precise with the positioning of the saddle in all 3 planes. A few degrees can make alot of difference to comfort.
Old 04-21-06, 04:14 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding my Arione for about a month now. It has a whole different geometry than the Specialized Avatar 155 that came with the Roubaix. I thought I could hop on with the same location/tilt and boy was I wrong. Now that I've moved it much further forward, and gotten the tilt down (only got that part about two weeks ago), I can ride with alllllmost no numbness but no chafing at all.
Old 04-21-06, 04:54 AM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Use some good ole' fashioned Pace line's Chamois Butt'r that gets the job done for me, especially on long hot days.
Old 04-21-06, 04:56 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike
I mean riding in complete comfort? I haven't been riding long, but I'm starting to doubt it. I've been to the LBS for a couple of fittings now and I've messed with the fit myself this winter on the trainer. Its as good as its ever been now, but I still get quite a bit of discomfort after only 15-20 minutes of riding.

I'm not going to give up. Going to try some different saddles and continue to mess with the fit, just curious if I'm chasing a ghost or not.

Mike
Hang in there. I ride 10K miles per year. No seat issues. The golden rules of seat comfort are:

1.) It's your bike shorts. Specifically the quality of the INSERT in those shorts that provides seat comfort. Be sure your shorts don't SUCK. Many of the shorts weenies wear do.

2.) It's your position. Experiement with the seat angle and position on the seatpost. Get that equation right and your seat pain may just disappear.

3.) It's your body weight. The lighter you get, the less weight on your sit bones, the less likely you will be to have any issues with seat comfort.

One of my saddles is a relatively minimalist Specialized Toupe (155 grams or so). People look at it and think it's not comfortable. I regularly ride 3-5 hours on it without a problem. Racer friends of mine have even more skimy saddles. It's generally NOT how cushy the saddle is. See 1.),2.) and 3.) above.
Old 04-21-06, 05:31 AM
Eyeseeu
Vintage Punk, w/ Damage

Bikes: Giant OCR Limited, Planet-X Carbon TT, 70's Paris Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to the performance E3 and have had no pain since:

Check out their info in it:
Performance E3 Form Saddle
Old 04-22-06, 01:05 AM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
I've been riding my Arione for about a month now. It has a whole different geometry than the Specialized Avatar 155 that came with the Roubaix. I thought I could hop on with the same location/tilt and boy was I wrong. Now that I've moved it much further forward, and gotten the tilt down (only got that part about two weeks ago), I can ride with alllllmost no numbness but no chafing at all.
u know.. i too have found tilting the arione downward and moving forward will ease the numbness on the boys. however, in doing so... i find my shoulders very tense and my arms very sore from shifting all the weight forward. do you have that similar problem?
Old 04-22-06, 02:35 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veneer
u know.. i too have found tilting the arione downward and moving forward will ease the numbness on the boys. however, in doing so... i find my shoulders very tense and my arms very sore from shifting all the weight forward. do you have that similar problem?

Hmm.. I meant "got the tilt down" more like "got the tilt correct." I actually started with the tilt down a little more than usual because I'd read a number of others had the same thing. I've slowly brought it back up so that the "level" portion of the nost (not the inclined wings on the back) is basically level. I'm not noticing any more/less shoulder pain. In fact, I would probably say I'm feeling less overall. Yesterday was an exception because I fought a tremendous headwind for a good portion of the day.
Old 04-22-06, 02:52 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Specialized saddles (only avail at your LBS, NOT via mail order) are GREAT. Try an Alias saddle. My Alias 143 is the most comfy saddle I've ever ridden. My lighter Specialized Toupe (only 155 grams or so) is also very comfortable.
Old 04-22-06, 03:06 AM
Trekke
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too use a Specialized 143. However, feel lots of sit bone pain and some numbness on rides over 30 miles. I have ordered an E3 (On sale for $45) Form. I'll see where that takes me.
Old 04-22-06, 04:56 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^one of the biggest myths, you can ride in complete comfort w/o any bike specific clothing, I do it all the time, I dont even own any bike shorts, most of my colleagues dont either
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what underwear, I should think. Course cotton with a big fat seam along the crotch is gonna do bad things down there! Can't imagine that a thong would be much fun to ride in either
Old 04-22-06, 05:05 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what underwear, I should think. Course cotton with a big fat seam along the crotch is gonna do bad things down there! Can't imagine that a thong would be much fun to ride in either
LOL, First it was needing to hire people to adjust your seat for you and now you can't ride without ultra specific clothing.

I'm guessing the next big thing in marketing will be bike shorts fitters
Old 04-22-06, 05:07 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^one of the biggest myths, you can ride in complete comfort w/o any bike specific clothing, I do it all the time, I dont even own any bike shorts, most of my colleagues dont either
LOL, you are forgetting what forum you are in though.
Old 04-22-06, 05:58 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Who needs bike shorts?
Old 04-22-06, 06:34 AM
charl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
Me either. I did all my centuries last year in a bathing suit and t-shirts.

Az
Oh yeah? Well I do my centuries in a wet bathing suit. Beat that!
Old 04-22-06, 07:18 AM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1.) It's your bike shorts. Specifically the quality of the INSERT in those shorts that provides seat comfort. Be sure your shorts don't SUCK. Many of the shorts weenies wear do.

2.) It's your position. Experiement with the seat angle and position on the seatpost. Get that equation right and your seat pain may just disappear.

3.) It's your body weight. The lighter you get, the less weight on your sit bones, the less likely you will be to have any issues with seat comfort.
Your number 2 would be my number 1.

I'd add another one: accumulated riding time. I don't know if its from tighter muscle, less weight (less flab) on the butt, or what, but putting in the miles seems to help.

The minimalistic seats I find comfortable today would have puckered my nether reaches in fear a few years ago.
Old 04-22-06, 07:39 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
See my signature.
Old 04-22-06, 07:43 AM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
LOL, you are forgetting what forum you are in though.
Mileage cures alot of problems, wish more people would try it and find that out. Seems like most people hop on a racebike and ride for 2 minutes and find out it hurts then start looking for an easy chair to sit on. They want exercise but look for the easiest least resistance to pedal then wonder why they are'nt getting in good shape and cant lose that last 10-20lbs. There's no free lunch, riding is a very simple and brutal sport.
Old 04-22-06, 07:50 AM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
Actually its just some saddle time and being in good shape. Most guys that do what I do for a living are skinny and in excellent shape, there's very little to chafe and we've learned how to pick the right saddle and get it adjusted properly. You dont spend 60 miles a day hauling pkgs on your back and not learn how to be comfortable. You wont see any fat messengers either, at least not ones that do it for a living for very long. Im prettymuch about the average size of most of the messengers here, 5'11" and 158lbs, 30" waist, 34" inseam. Not a single messenger here, guy or gal, wears cycling clothing cept for clipless shoes or gloves. We have no problems.
Old 04-23-06, 12:14 AM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
Hmm.. I meant "got the tilt down" more like "got the tilt correct." I actually started with the tilt down a little more than usual because I'd read a number of others had the same thing. I've slowly brought it back up so that the "level" portion of the nost (not the inclined wings on the back) is basically level. I'm not noticing any more/less shoulder pain. In fact, I would probably say I'm feeling less overall. Yesterday was an exception because I fought a tremendous headwind for a good portion of the day.
ah.. level is what i've found to be the most comfortable position for me as well. but i often find myself standing up off the seat so i could get some more blood flows.
Old 04-23-06, 02:01 AM
BryanW
Omega Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekke
I too use a Specialized 143. However, feel lots of sit bone pain and some numbness on rides over 30 miles. I have ordered an E3 (On sale for $45) Form. I'll see where that takes me.
I had the same problems with my Alias 143. In fact, the problems seemed to keep getting worse. Then i switched to the Toupe 143 and the first ride I thought it was fantastic. But again, the more I use it, the worse the sit-bone pain seems to get. I'll keep with it, though, because it has completely solved the numbness issue, and no other saddle I've ever tried has managed that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.