Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

recreational mileage to serious mileage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 06:54 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

where's the line? mpw-wise?
Old 04-29-06, 07:02 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would anyone need to pigeon hole themselves like that? One person's serious mileage is another's recreational and vice versa.
Old 04-29-06, 07:24 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
Why would anyone need to pigeon hole themselves like that? One person's serious mileage is another's recreational and vice versa.
i see what you're sayin' but i'm wondering in terms of the folks around here who, i assume, aren't professional riders for the most part (but with screen names who knows?--lance armstrong may post on here all the time, but i doubt it! ).

me? i generally ride around 150-200 mpw (on a fixed gear). i consider myself a fairly "serious" rider. that's not to say that "recreational" is a pejorative term at all. anyone who rides a bike is to me a "hero".

any thoughts though as to mpw?
Old 04-29-06, 08:14 AM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd call that serious mileage.
Old 04-29-06, 08:22 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll say 40miles around 2.5hrs riding time.

Given that a lot of folks simply can't/won't do centuries, 40miles is a reasonable marker.
Old 04-29-06, 08:29 AM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does 41.5 miles in 2:52 count? Only 21 was planned "bike ride" the rest was a bar run gone askew. Last night = fun.
Old 04-29-06, 08:44 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Your subject title doesn't make sense. A 300 mile/week rider is a recreational rider if they aren't racing or commuting. If you're asking when you stop being a beginner, I would say a century ride (100 miles in a day) is the breakthrough to being a serious recreational rider. I know grandmothers who do a few century rides every year. It is not a big deal if you put your mind to it.
Old 04-29-06, 08:46 AM
FLBandit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to maintain 100 miles a week. I just like to ride, (I'm not REAL serious about anything!) I've also found that if I ride that much I can pretty much eat anything I want and not gain weight!!
Old 04-29-06, 03:45 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Heck, it all depends what you want to do. After today's century, I'm up over 2500 miles for the year, and 15 of my rides are longer than 100 miles (296 miles in 17 hours and 45 minutes, in February, is the longest to date). I also commute and I hit the club "A" rides regularly; I do some occasional USCF racing to get my butt kicked when I'm feeling too cocky.

But.... My wife rides habitually as well (and loves the long distance stuff). We have no kids. We have desk jobs that take way, way too much of our time, but both of us have so-called "professional" positions which means that we can cut out at 4:30 to beat rush-hour traffic and get out into the country for a 45-mile "after work" ride when the weather is great. Change any of those variables -- the wife, the kids, the jobs we have, the proximity to great riding -- and the mileage goes in the tank.

Heck, the way I look at it, get what ya can, and ride how ya like!
Old 04-29-06, 03:55 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the studies all found that speeds over 13.73462 mph were reached purely in non-commuting instances. I think there was a +/- 2% margin of error.
Old 04-29-06, 04:00 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
4000+ miles for 2006 through today. Never rode that much before (through the 1990's it was generally 6-9K miles annually for me, now it's 10K-12K). But I ENJOY riding my bike. I consider myself to be a competitive rider - I ride with guys that race on weekends on competitive group rides - but no longer race. I used to race every weekend. But now the combination of driving time and entry fees makes me wonder what the point is. Particularly when there are many VERY competitive group rides that are essentially 'pick up' races with all the local race honchos. That's enough for me. So that's really 'recreational' riding in the strictest sense. Fast rec. riding, but it's not racing. Or is it? Does it have to be a USA Cycling sanctioned event to be a bike race? Hell, in my experience slow 'B' rides turn into little races, don't they ? : ).

I'll tell you what: you do the Sunday races in Central or Prospect Park in NY City and then come out and do the Nyack Ride another Sunday. You tell me which YOU think is harder : ). I've done all those enough to know what I think.
Old 04-29-06, 04:06 PM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
4000+ miles for 2006 through today. Never rode that much before (through the 1990's it was generally 6-9K miles annually for me, now it's 10K-12K).

Wow!!
Old 04-29-06, 04:14 PM
nobrainer440
I play in the street.

Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes no difference to me. My goal this year is 100 mpw.
Old 04-29-06, 04:15 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the difference between recreational and serious? Tell me that and then i'll answer.