Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Web stores' house brand saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 01:04 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought and tested a Terry Fly (the cheaper CrMo version) saddle on my new road bike, to replace the medieval torture device that passed as a stock saddle. I liked it quite a lot, but it's a bit heavy (cromoly rails, not Ti) and synthetic leather. I'd really like the Fly Ti or Fly Ti Gel, but I don't really want to spend $90-110 on a saddle. However, Supergo, Colorado Cyclist, and Performance have what appear to be very nice Ti/leather saddles on sale for a similar price price to my Fly ($45 shipped), and I'm thinking about getting one of these instead. Anyone have experience with or reviews of these they'd care to share? Are these simply re-branded Selle Italia/etc. saddles of good quality, or not?

Performance Forte Pro SLX:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?SKU=18270#

Supergo S1 Gel Racing saddle: https://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...=S1&referpage=

Douglas Gel-Lite saddle: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...46,31647,36174
Old 07-06-05, 02:05 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Forte SL. Pretty much last years version of the SLX. The padding is terrible. I only weigh 155lbs and I can feel the hard plastic shell through the padding. Especially through the center part of the saddle (just as it gets narrow) when I'm in my areo bars.

P.S. I'm not picking on house brands. I've used lots of Performance, Nashbar and Supergo house brand stuff and been really happy with it.

SS
Old 07-06-05, 02:51 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Perf Forte Pro SLX saddle on my mountain bike. It was on my road bike for a while, but I needed a saddle for my MTB so that one got elected. It's so-so as far as comfort goes, and it's quite sensitive to tilt.

BUT, I'm pretty much immune to saddle comfort. Sometimes I think I'd be fine on a slab of wood, so my opinion on this is probably useless for anyone else.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-06-05, 03:36 PM
The Carpenter
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A saddle, is a saddle, is a saddle. If the $300 one hurts and the $30 one feels great, then the $30 saddle is the best saddle on the market. This is such a personal issue, that you can't really go by what anyone else likes or dislikes.