Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In search of quality, affordable bibs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 10:32 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a quality pair of bibs that doesn't break the bank. I'm using Performance Ultra and Elite shorts right now that have worn fine and been fairly comfortable for two seasons, but it's time to upgrade and I don't want to spend a fortune. I've searched around the forums and the web and come across the following possibilities:

Santini CX: https://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=CL1312 (and review here: https://www.golod.com/2005/07/santini...orts-reviewed/)

Santini T-Gel: https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=CL1512

Sugoi Ultimate: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

Bellwether Elite Race: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...?p=BEBMT&st=bw

ProbikeKit house brand (ProRace Delux Bib): https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7385

Performance Ultra: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...6&srccode=2047

Louis Garneau Mat Signature bib: https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Right now, it seems like the Santinis, especially the Twist Gel, are the best deal. Anyone have thoughts on the Santinis, the other brands/models, or anything I've missed. My sense from reading various reviews is that the quality/comfort/performance difference between finding a deal at ~$75 and spending $100-130 is minimal, and I can't afford to go up to the top-end Assos, Castelli, etc. that run $150 plus. So, recommendations on the best "bang for the buck" and comfort/quality in this price range would be very helpful.

MSC
Old 05-17-06, 10:39 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSC
ProbikeKit house brand (ProRace Delux Bib): https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7385
These are pretty decent. Got a couple of pair, and they're worth the money and not expensive at all. However, my favorite bib at the moment comes from these guys. $30. Comfortable and they wear great. Good pad also.

Take care,

Steve
Old 05-17-06, 10:47 PM
slotibartfast
Duct tape won't fix that

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been my favorite pair of bibs for the past 2 seasons. They'll go on sale periodically for 49.95, so watch the site.

https://www.velowear.com/product_deta...110103+BLK+XSM
Old 05-17-06, 10:51 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I have a pair of Santini bib knickers that I wish were shorts so I could wear them all the time. Stupid comfy for the price.
Old 05-17-06, 10:55 PM
Tommyp

Bikes: 2004 Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally think that this is one of the better deals out there.

https://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=4&minor=7

https://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=4&minor=7

Both are Nalini, a simple synthetic chamois (get some chamois cream) but are well made. I'd hate to admit that I've crashed a few times in the 'fieldsensor,' but there was no damage. You should get a fair amount miles out of them.
Good luck with your search!
Old 05-17-06, 11:02 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor and Attack bibs. Got them for around $50 each (on sale for the Ultrasensors). They last thousands of miles each and are very comfortable on century rides.
Old 05-17-06, 11:15 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
These are pretty decent. Got a couple of pair, and they're worth the money and not expensive at all. However, my favorite bib at the moment comes from these guys. $30. Comfortable and they wear great. Good pad also.

Take care,

Steve

Those are what i have. And a 60 dollar canari bib. Im gonna have to say i like the falconis alot more than the canari. It takes a minute to get the falconis on an get the boys situated right, but once your comfy they are just right.
Old 05-18-06, 04:41 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 For Nalini, Santini, and Sugoi shorts..... all well made.

-1 For the PBK Pro race dome bibs.... did not fit well, cheap thin chamois rode up butt.

I have Santini twist fluid Gel shorts which are AWESOME... but pricey, The quality is top notch on all santini prodcuts. I also have a pair of Nalini fieldsensor and they last and last (I too crashed once and slid on my butt, and had no rips). Sugoi is also good, but I could never find a pair that was cheap enough to try out.

I would personally go with the Santini bibs as they are very well made.

*Italian bibs need to be ordered a size larger! (Im 5'10" 145 pounds and wear a size large in Nalini, and Santini). Follow the sizing charts very closely!
Old 05-18-06, 04:49 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
assos, I have two pair. Outstanding workmanship and a great product.
Yes in my opinon it is worth the money
Old 05-18-06, 05:00 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by domestique
(Im 5'10" 145 pounds and wear a size large in Nalini, and Santini).
you do realize that you're bibs are supposed to be snug, not urban baggy, right?

i'm 5'9 and around 152-155 lbs and i wear mediums in most brands, apart from Pearl Izumi, where I buy smalls because of their ridiculous sizing system.
Old 05-18-06, 06:38 AM
rthomse

Bikes: Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Sugoi .Got them at Performance on sale plus buyers points for 42.00 out the door.Very comfy
Old 05-18-06, 07:42 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
castelli's kiss model is a good deal. a bit more $ and get some bergamos, my current faves.
Old 05-18-06, 04:53 PM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
you do realize that you're bibs are supposed to be snug, not urban baggy, right?

i'm 5'9 and around 152-155 lbs and i wear mediums in most brands, apart from Pearl Izumi, where I buy smalls because of their ridiculous sizing system.
For my height Large is the reccomended size for Nalini, Santini, ASSOS, Campganolo, Giordanna...
what size do you wear in ASSOS? I wear a size large in them as well. I don't like my bibs digging into my shoulders.... and especially not cramming the boys!
Old 05-18-06, 05:17 PM
pelotonracer
Up and comer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
quality pair of bibs that doesn't break the bank
Never heard of one.
Old 05-18-06, 05:49 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, not that I've had many brand of shorts / bibs other than Performance brand... I finally got a deal on the Ultras. I delayed trying them out until recently (I wanted them "fresh" and unstretched for a century this weekend) and wow! they are fantastic! The pad feels like it's not even there, in a good way, and the compression, at least until they stretch out, is great. My brother who has worn quite a few different sorts of bibs and shorts and also has a set (of the bib knicker variety) agrees that they are the best he's ever worn.
Old 05-18-06, 06:15 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what makes those expensive ($200+) bibs so expensive?
Old 05-18-06, 06:34 PM
belowzero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riskus
what makes those expensive ($200+) bibs so expensive?
Latest materials technology and design, elastic power for the muscles and good ventillation moisture removal.

also don't forget your paying for a quality product, quality brand & name. They're a good idea if every second counts as an elite athlete it will improve performance but if you don't have the money the average joe blo probably won't notice much effect just comfort wise.
Old 05-18-06, 07:14 PM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by belowzero
Latest materials technology and design, elastic power for the muscles and good ventillation moisture removal.

also don't forget your paying for a quality product, quality brand & name. They're a good idea if every second counts as an elite athlete it will improve performance but if you don't have the money the average joe blo probably won't notice much effect just comfort wise.

With smart shopping you don't have to pay anywhere close to 200 bucks for bibs that work just as well......

In a week I will write up a bib review where I bought and tested, Campagnolo Raytech bibs (89.99), Santini Fluid Twist Gel bibs(129.99), Assos F1. Uno bibs (124.99), and Giordana Silverline Bibs (90.00). All of which are top notch....
Old 05-18-06, 07:21 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oboeguy
FWIW, not that I've had many brand of shorts / bibs other than Performance brand... I finally got a deal on the Ultras. I delayed trying them out until recently (I wanted them "fresh" and unstretched for a century this weekend) and wow! they are fantastic! The pad feels like it's not even there, in a good way, and the compression, at least until they stretch out, is great. My brother who has worn quite a few different sorts of bibs and shorts and also has a set (of the bib knicker variety) agrees that they are the best he's ever worn.
I have Performance Ultra bibs as well. I'm very pleased.
Old 05-18-06, 08:24 PM
Blastinbob
Mufflerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.worldcycling.com/merchant.mvc?Affiliate=BikeBestBuys&Screen=PROD&Product_code=CST05L404"
Worldcycling.com had lots of Castelli Y-Pro 3 bibs last week but they are running out fast. These are by far my favorite bib shorts.
Old 05-18-06, 08:44 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blastinbob
www.worldcycling.com/merchant.mvc?Affiliate=BikeBestBuys&Screen=PROD&Product_code=CST05L404"
Worldcycling.com had lots of Castelli Y-Pro 3 bibs last week but they are running out fast. These are by far my favorite bib shorts.

Lowest Ive seen on the 06 Castelli YPro3 bibs - $150. I like the $100 tag better though.
Old 05-18-06, 09:38 PM
Blastinbob
Mufflerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Lowest Ive seen on the 06 Castelli YPro3 bibs - $150. I like the $100 tag better though.
Last week they had all sizes and colors of the 05's for $122.00.
Old 05-18-06, 09:43 PM
MSC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm glad to hear others like the Performance Ultras - I like my shorts and my first thought was to go for the bibs. On the other hand, it might be worth trying something new, and you've all pointed out some great deals (wow, $100 for Castelli Y-Pro is tempting). After more reading, it seems like the Santini sizing won't fit me well - I'm 5'9" 165 which puts me in between sizes. So I'm now thinking Performance, Sugoi, or maybe Nalini - PBK has these on sale:

https://www.probikekit.com/supersize....9edec83510d106

Any of you who suggested Nalini use these?

Domestique, I'll look forward to your multi-short review.

MSC

Last edited by MSC; 05-18-06 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 11:11 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slotibartfast
This has been my favorite pair of bibs for the past 2 seasons. They'll go on sale periodically for 49.95, so watch the site.

https://www.velowear.com/product_deta...110103+BLK+XSM
Velowear++

Good stuff, inexpensive.
Old 05-18-06, 11:18 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
Velowear++

Good stuff, inexpensive.
+1 on Velowear. I have two Velo bibs, and Performance bibs. I like Velowear way more, and they cost less. The performance get saggy when they get wet. Plus the padding on them is pure crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.