Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-11-20, 10:49 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Just did a quick z2 in erg mode on zwift. Very pleased. Power tracked pretty well, although either the smoothing turned back on or zwift adds it's own, because the reported was way too steady. Still, it tracked quite well with my PM so I was essentially able to set it and forget it. Avg power between zwift and head unit was 1w apart
Old 03-12-20, 06:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Just did a quick z2 in erg mode on zwift. Very pleased. Power tracked pretty well, although either the smoothing turned back on or zwift adds it's own, because the reported was way too steady. Still, it tracked quite well with my PM so I was essentially able to set it and forget it. Avg power between zwift and head unit was 1w apart
I noticed in Strava and on TP after my first ride with it, it seemed like it cut some power blips out. Going up the subway exit in London, I know I saw my Zwift power hit 700ish and hold it for about 5 seconds before I settled back down. Neither services registered such.

I'll have to look into that. That kind of thing can kill Zwift racing if it isn't registering your little peaks over rollers or something. In other words, doing work you aren't getting credit for then having to work harder because it didn't register it.
Old 03-12-20, 08:28 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I noticed in Strava and on TP after my first ride with it, it seemed like it cut some power blips out. Going up the subway exit in London, I know I saw my Zwift power hit 700ish and hold it for about 5 seconds before I settled back down. Neither services registered such.

I'll have to look into that. That kind of thing can kill Zwift racing if it isn't registering your little peaks over rollers or something. In other words, doing work you aren't getting credit for then having to work harder because it didn't register it.
Those little pops are essential. Titans Grove can be ridden crazy fast if you hit the base of every roller doing 6-8 W/kg. I noticed a 1-2 second lag between my legs/head unit and Zwift registering the sudden power. That lag has to be planned for, as those rollers only last about 3 seconds.
Old 03-12-20, 10:33 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
As of today, my college has gone 100% remote for the rest of the semester. Not quite sure what to do with myself, this gives me SO much more free time. My commute to campus is ~3hrs each direction so this frees up a substantial amount of my week.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-12-20, 11:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
As of today, my college has gone 100% remote for the rest of the semester. Not quite sure what to do with myself, this gives me SO much more free time. My commute to campus is ~3hrs each direction so this frees up a substantial amount of my week.
30 hour weeks on the trainer?
Old 03-12-20, 12:37 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

This whole winter I thought I was prepping for the race season but I was actually getting ready for mandatory quarantine!
Old 03-12-20, 12:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am watching it rain.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-12-20, 12:57 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
We still have computer labs/library/offices open, but we're supposed to teach online until at least April 5. Still figuring out how I'm going to give tests/quizzes in a way that isn't too onerous for my economically disadvantaged students while still encouraging academic integrity. I've been recording my lectures for years now, so the delivering of instructional content shouldn't be too hard. Hell, if I wanted to be lazy, I could just upload the lectures from last semester (or the one before, or the one before, or a couple before that).
Old 03-12-20, 01:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My county just went on lockdown.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-plan/2324091/

All non-essential stores are asked to close. All large gathering places and venues are ordered closed. For 14 days at least. All schools, universities, community centers, etc.

I'm guessing I'll be working from home starting soon. Which I kind of hate, but is probably for the best I guess. I won't get anything done, but it all seems kind of pointless to worry about designing new electric infrastructure at the moment. I have other things on my mind.

I'm young (sort of, my hair says otherwise). I don't have a great historical reference. This isn't normal, right? The world is actually not supposed to operate like this?
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-12-20, 01:58 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
This whole winter I thought I was prepping for the race season but I was actually getting ready for mandatory quarantine!
I'll see you on Zwift!

Originally Posted by Hermes
I am watching it rain.
I too, have no idea how to act in this situation.

Originally Posted by Flatballer
My county just went on lockdown.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-plan/2324091/

All non-essential stores are asked to close. All large gathering places and venues are ordered closed. For 14 days at least. All schools, universities, community centers, etc.

I'm guessing I'll be working from home starting soon. Which I kind of hate, but is probably for the best I guess. I won't get anything done, but it all seems kind of pointless to worry about designing new electric infrastructure at the moment. I have other things on my mind.

I'm young (sort of, my hair says otherwise). I don't have a great historical reference. This isn't normal, right? The world is actually not supposed to operate like this?
This hasn't happened in 100 years, and they'll probably be talking about it 100 years from now.
Old 03-12-20, 02:09 PM
Cypress

I'm way excited to see what comes of this. I consider this a harmless dry run for something that might actually hurt people.

So far I've learned that the government will control population movement and that a clean butthole is essential to survival.
Old 03-12-20, 02:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Plumbers will inherit the earth.

I have the indoor peloton set up with my wife's TT bike on Krietler, extremely dumb, rollers with the front forth held and my road bike is on the Kurk Kinetic, dumb as a bad of hammers, trainer. This is torture.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-12-20, 04:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I am watching it rain.
Me, too.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-13-20, 11:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I wish Zwift would put more "kit" in the drop shop instead of only through levels. Keep some really sweet level up stuff to promote your business model of keeping folks online. But, c'mon. The only TT helmet is freaking level gazillion?

Pshhh.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-13-20, 12:50 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
geez man, you driving into MA or something? That's some dedication

I work from home full-time already, so the only current disruption is now I have my son home for 2 weeks, since my wife works in a school I suspect she'll be home too.
Old 03-13-20, 03:09 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Edit:
USAFA DID send all the lower classes home.
Local Pro/1 races canceled.

Buying a simulator setup.

The bright side...

As a simulator break, junior grabbed some training wheels and did the only collegiate race around, an ITT.
He was #1 of 32. This week they canceled the collegiate season, so winning all, and the only race the season was nice. Bummer collegiate racing is all over for him.
USAFA may prohibit him from the pro races. If promoters or USAC cancel the pro/1 crits he gets to be two year CO P/1 crit champ (or the winner of the championship race). A lot depends on what rules are laid down, but the plan was to do the USA crit circuit after late May graduation where he gets 60 days off. All up in the air (pun intended) now.

The whole and last of collegiate race season pictures right here.
I purchased these from Brent Murphy

Last edited by Doge; 03-14-20 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 03-13-20, 03:49 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
geez man, you driving into MA or something? That's some dedication

I work from home full-time already, so the only current disruption is now I have my son home for 2 weeks, since my wife works in a school I suspect she'll be home too.
Commuting to NYC from the mid hudson valley. Train schedules don't line up with my classes, so 2x/wk I leave here at 2 for a 6pm class and get home around midnight, and the other day I leave at 11 for a 2:30 class and get home around 7:30. It has been a transition; until I started school I had worked from home since 2012.
Old 03-13-20, 07:47 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Commuting to NYC from the mid hudson valley. Train schedules don't line up with my classes, so 2x/wk I leave here at 2 for a 6pm class and get home around midnight, and the other day I leave at 11 for a 2:30 class and get home around 7:30. It has been a transition; until I started school I had worked from home since 2012.
and you are putting in 15 hours of training/week on top of that?

impressive

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I wish Zwift would put more "kit" in the drop shop instead of only through levels. Keep some really sweet level up stuff to promote your business model of keeping folks online. But, c'mon. The only TT helmet is freaking level gazillion?

Pshhh.

As an aficionado of De Stijl, I just want the damn La Vie en Claire / Mondrian replica jersey (unlock at level 42). It's gonna take me another 10 months or so...

Last edited by echappist; 03-13-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 12:55 PM
Doge

More bright side - maybe - interesting anyway.
With 3/4 of the population gone from campus the gym is pretty open.
So is the hyperbaric room where they pump in O2 (the train low).
And a few wind tunnels have opened up, although they have 5 or so, only 1 may be slow wind.

So some great opportunities to get fast (except shoulders really too big to be real fast).

No opportunities to test how fast.
Old 03-15-20, 01:21 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Looks like no bike racing, at least for a while. My work is continuing to ask people to come in, and I have no idea why. Our entire county and the 3 counties around us have shuttered basically everything except grocery stores, gas stations, and pharmacies. They've ordered restaurants closed except for delivery or take out, even the state liquor stores are closed.

Our projects just aren't that important in most cases. Yes we deal with the electric, gas, and communication infrastructure, but mostly on capital projects, not emergent work. Just let people work from home who can and pay everyone else to take a break. It'll kill our bottom line, but our motto is literally "nobody gets hurt". This will kill people.
Old 03-15-20, 04:50 PM
big john

It's been raining every day here, which never happens, but today there was a break and I joined a newer club for a nice ride. Low 50s, cloudy and windy felt wonderful instead of cabin fever. On the way back a group of about 8 took off and got a paceline going. I guess we aren't supposed to do that with social distancing but it was a blast. Speeds were high and it went on for about 15 miles and I took a good pull but I think they were amused by me being there. When a hill came that left me out a couple of them tried to coax me along in Spanish, "Endele". to which I replied "soy viejo" (I'm an old man). I waited for the second group. Great day out.
A pic came up of 3 of them. Never met them before and I wouldn't know them if I see them again.

Last edited by big john; 03-15-20 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-20, 05:58 PM
Doge

https://www.usacycling.org/article/u...nt-on-covid-19
"USA Cycling is recommending cancellation of all sanctioned events immediately and calling on all race and event directors, clubs, coaches, athletes, and members to postpone or cancel all scheduled races and events immediately. This includes any gatherings such as group rides, in-person group meetings, etc.

We are suspending permits on all events through April 5th."
Old 03-15-20, 08:01 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Doge
This includes any gatherings such as group rides,
Now our governor wants all of us 65 and older to "self isolate" at home.
Strong words from a man who never won a cat 5 race in his life.

Last edited by big john; 03-15-20 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-16-20, 06:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Staying healthy is an important part of fighting off this (or any) disease. That may mean not getting/staying climber skinny, but I gotta believe that includes staying fit by riding if for no other reason that needing to stay sane. Getting fresh air is crucial for my sanity too, so, while zwift can be nice, it can't be the whole answer for me.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-16-20, 09:33 AM
Cypress

Short of someone passing by me with their head out of the car sneezing, I can't see how a solo ride would theoretically be any more risky than Zwifting.

That being said, the catch comes in a few ways...

If I were to crash and need medical care, I might end up in a position I really don't care for.

I've noticed that drivers are acting like it's the wild west out there right now. The wife and I took the dog to a park on Saturday and got cut off several times by people entering and exiting shopping centers. Even got passed by a car in the suicide lane on our way back.

Riding outside ain't no thang normally, but I found myself on Zwift yesterday even though it was sunny and gorgeous outside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.