Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aethos options and questions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aethos options and questions

Old 05-12-21, 07:27 PM
  #1  
bigevil
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 68

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Aethos options and questions

ok ok bear with me my friends. any help in advance is epic and appreciated!

Worked hard AF this year so for my bday treating myself to a great climbing/fun road bike.
As I have a Checkpoint for gravel/endurance rides I'm loving the idea of something light/nimble and as I don't race I've landed on the Aethos.

After test riding it today at Specialized I was blown away. I almost bought it on the spot but they only had the $13k S-works one in stock and I thought better in the moment and luckily walked out unharmed.

I really love the expert level because of force etap and or ultegra di2 but I hate (like hate) the colors. That puts me in a position of a few options

1-buy the comp model and upgrade the gruppo ad other parts as I go [the rival isn't bad at all, but at nearly 18lbs its only 1lb lighter than my checkpoint]
2-buy the framset for $3.3k and build up my own pretty pimped out version [thinking force etap or ultegra di2, maybe even throwing my current Aeolus pro 37 wheels on it to start and save $ on the build]
3-something else I'm not thinking of that you'll all I'm sure think of.

Things important to me are lightweight, fun, power meter, great gear range for climbing and group rides. Not a racer.
things not important are electronic shifting(I'm down to have it, just not a deal breaker) and def don't need super aero everything.

lastly, is it worth alllllll that extra $$ just for s-works carbon to save 200grams?
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 08:42 AM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,647

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,162 Posts
Will your chincieness really get you a better bike? Seems like you wouldn't come much under their prices unless skimp on the quality somewhere. Less trouble to just buy and ride.

I suppose though you'll get exactly the stuff you want.

Don't forget to add up the costs of everything. You have a spare set of carbon handle bars laying around.... carbon stem? carbon seat post? Really great carbon wheels? Power meter?
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-13-21, 09:47 AM
  #3  
sjammer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 71

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 39 Posts
I ride and Aethos Expert (Di2) and I searched out the burgundy color since I was not a fan of the light blue, but it the blue was the only color avail I would have got it. I can tell you I like the expert as it is. If you like the group set on the expert level I would just go with that, because I would not want purchase another group set for a new bike (plus availability on the parts sucks right now). You can go down a rabbit hole if you start looking carbon upgrades to save weight. I think the expert is still lighter that most bikes.

I personally do not think the extra $7K is worth spending for the s-works model unless that is what you really want and you have means to do so. Definitely not worth going it to debt to have it.

Just my opinion.
sjammer is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 09:53 AM
  #4  
Fox Farm
Senior Member
 
Fox Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,712

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
If a 13 or 14 pound bike is your objective, you could probably find other options. I think that you get charged a premium for the S name. How else do they sponsor those teams and have the S only stores? But yes, the reviews that I have read about the bike is that it is pretty good. Wheels... some light wheels will make that bike or any other one fly up hills. Something in the 1300 gram range. But, all of this said, when you start to get into light frames, and builds, you pay an awful lot for saving one pound, really. Perhaps work on your own body mass and save a few thousand.
Fox Farm is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 12:13 PM
  #5  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,325

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 290 Posts
I bought a Venge Pro and upgraded it to S-Works spec because I didnt like the frame color (admittedly, this decision was made easier by the fact that in this one case, the S-Works and Pro Venge frame are identical).

If you are able to get all the parts, buy the frameset and build it up. Otherwise, there is some benefit to buying the Comp and then swapping out over time - it also lets you spread out the build cost over time, if that matters. You can always sell the parts that you take off, or put them on a n+1.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 12:25 PM
  #6  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
I really love the expert level because of force etap and or ultegra di2 but I hate (like hate) the colors.
Why not just buy this bike and have it custom painted? It's probably cheaper than you think.

Buying a frameset and doing your own custom build would be fun, but given current availability of parts this might be a nightmare, and would likely end up costing a lot more. My next preferred option would be to buy the comp version, and a new di2/etap groupset and just sell off the Rivals stuff. This would at least ensure you've got the bar, stem, post, saddle, etc.
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-13-21, 12:32 PM
  #7  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 349

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
My $0.02:

If this is a pat-myself-on-the-back type reward for yourself (good for you, BTW), I'll suggest getting the frame and building it up with your specs. It may be a little more in the long run but you get what you want. Handlebar width, crank length, stem, saddle, wheels, power meter, etc. are all things you get to decide rather than pulling it off the rack.
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 12:39 PM
  #8  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post

lastly, is it worth alllllll that extra $$ just for s-works carbon to save 200grams?
Of course not!

The Aethos looks like a great bike and the Expert build seems like the sweet spot to me. The only thing that really bugs me is the wheel set not being tubeless compatible.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 01:05 PM
  #9  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Of course not!

The Aethos looks like a great bike and the Expert build seems like the sweet spot to me. The only thing that really bugs me is the wheel set not being tubeless compatible.
Specialized website is showing the Expert model with DT Swiss R470 alloy wheels, which are tubeless ready.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 05-13-21, 03:50 PM
  #10  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Specialized website is showing the Expert model with DT Swiss R470 alloy wheels, which are tubeless ready.
Ah yes you are correct! I was thinking of the Pro model with the Roval Alpinist wheels. £5.5k for the Expert model with alloy wheels seems very expensive to me. Still a very nice bike though. One I would like to demo.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-17-21, 07:34 PM
  #11  
bigevil
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 68

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Buying a frameset and doing your own custom build would be fun, but given current availability of parts this might be a nightmare, and would likely end up costing a lot more. My next preferred option would be to buy the comp version, and a new di2/etap groupset and just sell off the Rivals stuff. This would at least ensure you've got the bar, stem, post, saddle, etc.

fwiw this is my exact thinking atm. grab the comp, and when new di2 launches upgrade everything to that. in the meantime upgrade the stem, saddle, bars, to s-works spec (or some dope enve/zipp stuff), add a power meter, and use my current wheels (Aeolus Pro 37) which would fly over the comp ones. (long as no one thinks those are crap wheels for the aethos)

seems better then building from scratch but only bummer is the comp has a teal fork and not white but then again that's just me being picky. maybe could swap the fork down the line....

I do think if spending $5k, scratch that, even $3k on a bike and higher you should love the color.

thank dear lord for my wallet that the S-works colors really suck on the aethos!
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 10:12 AM
  #12  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,414

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 157 Posts
The S-Works is $13K. I say this as someone who owns a bike that cost that much when new: to me that's stupid money for an off the peg, mass produced bike. At that price, the bike had better be exactly what you want, perfectly made and 100% flawless in how it rides. Even if the S-Works is all of that, then the 2022 comes out and your bike is instantly dated. Not for me. If I was looking to spend that type of cash on a bike, I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 10:14 AM
  #13  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 307 Posts
Since you are clearly not in love with the Aethos colours and consider this an important parameter (I do too as it happens), then maybe you should consider other lightweight road bikes in colours that you do really like? While the Aethos looks like a really nice bike, apart from being deliberately anti-aero, it doesn't stand out that much next to other lightweight road bikes in the same price range. Maybe a couple of hundred grams lighter? Even its sibling Tarmac has exactly the same geometry. Just putting that out there!
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 10:19 AM
  #14  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.
What models from these builders would you say compare directly against an S-Works Aethos? I'm thinking they are all going to be quite different bikes with quite different pros and cons. Take Moots for example. Lovely as they are, they don't make anything remotely like the Aethos.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 11:40 AM
  #15  
greysquirrel
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For carbon fiber, how about:

https://argonautcycles.com/the-rm3/
greysquirrel is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 10:44 PM
  #16  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,325

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The S-Works is $13K. I say this as someone who owns a bike that cost that much when new: to me that's stupid money for an off the peg, mass produced bike. At that price, the bike had better be exactly what you want, perfectly made and 100% flawless in how it rides. Even if the S-Works is all of that, then the 2022 comes out and your bike is instantly dated. Not for me. If I was looking to spend that type of cash on a bike, I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.
So basically, the fact that Firefly/Moots/etc all continue making the same bike is a plus, because it doesnt get outdated? Not sure i find that a compelling argument, Now, you can talk about having a mass produced bike vs a custom bike = sure, if that is something you care about, then yes, it is a big factor. For me, it isnt but i know a lot of people like having stuff that isnt so common. Fair play.

And there is also the matter that high end carbon frames do ride differently.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 05-18-21, 10:48 PM
  #17  
bigevil
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 68

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Pending stock avail I’m gonna grab the frameset and build it up from there. I love this damn bike

it comes out quite close after all the upgrades I wanted to make (~$1k) and I’ll likely get her to be $6k/16lbs

in a year I’ll throw the new di2, maybe lighter wheels but honestly maybe not !

more important than all of that is that the damn thing makes me feel like a kid. I just want to hop on it and ride all day long. I left the store today (literally just went back to test ride again) smiling ear to ear
bigevil is offline  
Old 05-19-21, 06:42 AM
  #18  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,414

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
So basically, the fact that Firefly/Moots/etc all continue making the same bike is a plus, because it doesnt get outdated? Not sure i find that a compelling argument, Now, you can talk about having a mass produced bike vs a custom bike = sure, if that is something you care about, then yes, it is a big factor. For me, it isnt but i know a lot of people like having stuff that isnt so common. Fair play.
Yes, differing opinions are allowed.

And there is also the matter that high end carbon frames do ride differently.
I don't believe that ride quality is intrinsic to frame material, it's all down to how the frame was designed.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 05-19-21, 06:55 AM
  #19  
Hiro11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,414

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
What models from these builders would you say compare directly against an S-Works Aethos? I'm thinking they are all going to be quite different bikes with quite different pros and cons. Take Moots for example. Lovely as they are, they don't make anything remotely like the Aethos.
I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

People seem very offended that I have a different opinion than them.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 05-19-21, 07:13 AM
  #20  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: TCR Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 196 Posts
If you don't like the color, do not buy. You will hate staring at the top tube head down trying to catch your breathe on long climbs. Been there, done that!

Is S-WORKS worth the extra $ to save 200g? No one can answer this except you. For most of us out there, no it's not worth it.

Sounds like you would benefit from a custom bike - why not buy a frameset and build it to your liking? After all, you'll own the bike for many years to come - better like it!

Finally, there are many other options out there for a lightweight climbing beast, have you considered them? Or perhaps you are sold to Specialized (which is fine!).

Last edited by eduskator; 05-19-21 at 07:16 AM.
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-19-21, 09:31 AM
  #21  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,325

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

People seem very offended that I have a different opinion than them.
No one has an issue with you having a different opinion. As a suggestion, you might want to think about how you express it, however. One set of preferences for a bike is "fetish properties" while your preference isnt?

Pretty much every high end bike purchase is a matter of personal preference, and not quantitative logic (if anything, there is a greater argument that a company like Spesh, with massive R&D expenses, is likely to build a better bike than a guy making bikes in his workshop. How much R&D do you think Firefly is doing in materials, aero, getting feedback from pro riders on bike handling/characteristics, etc?). So your opinion is just as likely to come across as "fetish property" to someone else.

For the record, I have no issues with your preferences- i have a different set of preferences, but i dont think yours are unreasonable. Hopefully, you have the mental flexibility to understand why others may have a different opinion.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I don't believe that ride quality is intrinsic to frame material, it's all down to how the frame was designed.
Tube shaping and carbon lay-up both play a role in ride quality. Design and construction/materials used.
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-19-21, 10:53 AM
  #22  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

People seem very offended that I have a different opinion than them.
I only mentioned the S-works version because it would be a similar price point to the kind of exotic custom build you recommended. For sure if I were buying an Aethos, I would get the Pro level build and save a load of money for very little compromise. But if you go down the high end boutique route it's always going to be much more expensive. I can see the attraction if it suits your needs, but someone looking at an Aethos is extremely unlikely to be considering a Ti frame weighing twice as much! They are a chalk and cheese comparison rather than like-for-like alternatives.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-19-21 at 10:57 AM.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 06-01-21, 12:00 PM
  #23  
bigevil
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 68

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
well, it took a bunch of hunting/sourcing and diligence but she comes tomorrow!

came out to $8800 which is basically the same price as the pro w/ taxes would have been at the specialized store (but obviously which many upgrades, pedals, cages etc)

Cannot freaking WAIT!! Specialized Aethos 10r Carbon / Flake frameset

Sram Force Etap gruppo [46/33, and 10-33]

Quarq AXS Power Meter

Hunt 35 Carbon Aero Wheels

Dura Ace Pedals

S Works Stem/Bar w/ Supakaz tape

S Works Power Mirror Saddle

Enve Carbon Cages

Schwalbe Pro One 28mm

we'll see what she weighs when it's all assembled. hoping to get 15lbs or less.....
bigevil is offline  
Likes For bigevil:
Old 06-10-21, 10:49 AM
  #24  
2bridges1bike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
well, it took a bunch of hunting/sourcing and diligence but she comes tomorrow!

came out to $8800 which is basically the same price as the pro w/ taxes would have been at the specialized store (but obviously which many upgrades, pedals, cages etc)

Cannot freaking WAIT!! Specialized Aethos 10r Carbon / Flake frameset

Sram Force Etap gruppo [46/33, and 10-33]

Quarq AXS Power Meter

Hunt 35 Carbon Aero Wheels

Dura Ace Pedals

S Works Stem/Bar w/ Supakaz tape

S Works Power Mirror Saddle

Enve Carbon Cages

Schwalbe Pro One 28mm

we'll see what she weighs when it's all assembled. hoping to get 15lbs or less.....
if you do need to shed some more weight, the cheapest way would probably swap the Force chain crankset for the Red, will save you about 200 grams for a bit more $$$
2bridges1bike is offline  
Old 06-15-21, 05:51 PM
  #25  
bigevil
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 68

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
here she is!!
came out to bit over 16 lbs (imagining had i gone red I might have gotten in under 16 but to start this is great!)

bigevil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.