Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is there a "fuzzy edge" to e-bikes?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 05-25-21, 06:33 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

What I mean is this: Is there a definitive line between E-bikes and lower powered electric motorcycles/moped types or is there some fuzziness on between what is a e-bike and a electric moped?

I ask this because I'm starting to see ads for what seem to be lower powered electric motorcycles with a secondary pedaling ability.

Or am I missing something.
Old 05-25-21, 07:10 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
This certainly blurs the line: Juiced Scorpion

There are also less expensive moped/scooter style electric personal transport that have pedals (mainly for looks).

To determine what is better suited for your needs, you need to specify the load, range & terrain& traffic pattern that you plan to operate in.

Until the government regulation catchup to clearly define when type of electric vehicle require license, registration & insurance; I'm glad to pretend that anything that can be propelled with human powered pedals are considered unnecessary for licensing.

But reality is: not all can operate a vehicle among public roads with motorized vehicle traffic safely.

Last edited by cat0020; 05-25-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 07:42 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Another "blurry" e-bike in the news:

https://electrek.co/2021/05/25/the-4...drive-e-bikes/

Old 05-25-21, 08:18 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't think there will ever be a solid line because buyers cover a spectrum, from those that like the motorcycle look, if not the price to those that want their ebike to look like a road bike, and everything in between. Much like cars - some like a rugged, agressive look, while others want a prius look.

Manufacturers focus on products that sell, meeting the varying wants of their customers.

Even when legislation tries to establish lines, watch companies blur these lines, because some buyers (maybe most?) could care less about those lines.
Old 05-25-21, 11:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah its always been fuzy. European's have a pretty clear distinction and require licenses for even moderately fast ebikes (<28mph). Technically, there are similar rules over here, but its pretty patchwork.

Nothin new. Back in the last century we had 100lb gas mopeds that were equipped with pedals to get around the laws. I tried pedaling one of those when I ran out of gas - they were easier to walk/push than they were to pedal. (Kinda like when Subaru put seats in the bed of a pickup truck, so it wouldn't be a pickup truck per import laws).
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-25-21, 03:02 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
The Solex in the day was also a great get-away machine for a 13-14 year old, oddly some of the step through e-bikes I see today look similar. I could actually peddle the Solex if necessary a ways. I wouldn't mind having a vintage one again, they went a long way on a few drops of fuel
Old 05-25-21, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
An e-bike is a bicycle with a pedal assist, a moped or motorcycle has a throttle and a moped in specific will have pedals but you probably won't want to use them.

Class 1 and 3 are generally actually e-bikes and class 2 are really crappy mopeds that they sell as e-bikes because we haven't figured it out.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-25-21, 08:40 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
HR 727 defines what a low power ebike is in fairly simple terms. Not sure why people keep saying it is fuzzy.

How they go about enforcing it is a longer discussion, but the definition is there.

California has created a whole additional set of definitions, but that is what one expects from that state.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 05-25-21, 10:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
As above. Pedal assist is an ebike. If it has a throttle it is a motor bike.
Old 05-26-21, 07:04 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Check your state laws. There is no "fuzzy."

The problem is when people think they are cute as they make up their own definitions. This forum has a large number of those people. It was more common in the first years of the current e-bike boom, but some are still around.

The only definitions that matter are the ones in the states where you intend to operate.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 05-26-21, 07:20 AM
klevin

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C

The problem is when people think they are cute as they make up their own definitions. This forum has a large number of those people. It was more common in the first years of the current e-bike boom, but some are still around.

The only definitions that matter are the ones in the states where you intend to operate.
Not true where I live, New Hampshire. Current state law and definitions are filled with contradictions.

"The problem is when people think" they know the answers, when they haven't done their homework. That and sweeping generalizations. What may be true in your place may not be true in mine.
Old 05-26-21, 07:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
About half of the states have "Class (1, 2 & 3) rules which define e-bikes, but can be superseded by local laws. Units that fall within these boundaries are considered the same as bicycles; those outside are either mopeds or motorcycles, and need to be licensed and/or insured as such. The caveat is that many areas have little or no policing. In litigious CA, getting in an accident with one of the "outliers" could be expensive.
Old 05-26-21, 07:55 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by Robert C

I reside in one state, own & commute to businesses in two other neighboring states within 2 hour ride time.
Old 05-30-21, 11:01 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Class II e-bikes have enough power to move along at speeds up to 20 mph with motor power alone and so can be thought of as electric mopeds. Class I bikes need pedal power and Class III usually have limitations based on their being engineered to go at 28 mph but with lighter weight batteries.
Old 06-01-21, 02:36 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
In my experience in Southern California it is the individual bike and , more importantly, the rider that defines the “lines” . I don’t ride e bikes but my wife has a couple of them due to certain physical limitations/ disabilities. One of her bikes is a hub motor with a throttle and her most recent is a mid drive without throttle. She rides both bikes the same, always pedaling using the motor as an assist. I ride vintage racing bikes and she is able to cruise along with me , not fast . We don’t ride fast by some people’s standard. I have seen similar hub drive bikes with throttles being ridden without pedaling at higher rate of speed in the bike lanes and that can be a problem, but most of the time I see people pedaling and just using the assist as a way to increase speed and distance.
Old 06-01-21, 06:40 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
As above. Pedal assist is an ebike. If it has a throttle it is a motor bike.
No Class 2 ebike less than 750W is an ebike. Mopeds are 49cc or less with a 1.5 to 2 HP motor depending on your jurisdiction. Do you own or ride an ebike? It seems a lot of posters don't know the laws regarding ebikes and moped/scooters/motorcycles. If I'm riding my ebike downhill at 40 MPH does that make me a motorcycle? No.
Likes For alloo:
Old 06-01-21, 06:45 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Class II e-bikes have enough power to move along at speeds up to 20 mph with motor power alone and so can be thought of as electric mopeds. Class I bikes need pedal power and Class III usually have limitations based on their being engineered to go at 28 mph but with lighter weight batteries.
These classifications aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 06-01-21, 07:07 AM
klevin

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
No Class 2 ebike less than 750W is an ebike. Mopeds are 49cc or less with a 1.5 to 2 HP motor depending on your jurisdiction. Do you own or ride an ebike? It seems a lot of posters don't know the laws regarding ebikes and moped/scooters/motorcycles. If I'm riding my ebike downhill at 40 MPH does that make me a motorcycle? No.
This may be legally true in some areas, but not others. And to complicate matters further, in some states, like mine, the legal definitions conflict.

To put it another way, these things are defined locally, at the state (or even city) level, not nationally, so please don't be so quick to generalize.
Likes For klevin:
Old 06-01-21, 12:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
These classifications aren't mutually exclusive.
They are are such by the laws in Europe and the USA where bike paths and trails are in use. Many jurisdictions allow Class I and Class II e-bikes but not Class III ones. A Class III bike may actually be less powerful in terms of its motor and battery pack than a Class II bike but if it has a motor and controller that provides for speeds up to 28 mph then it will be treated as a Class III bike.

Similar situation in the USA where motorcycles were classified by the cubic inches of their engines and not horsepower in determining whether they would be allowed on freeways.
Old 06-01-21, 11:51 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I own a pedal assist and use it for rides I would not be able to do on a non assist bike (mountains and such)
The laws and classifications are still in their infancy. This is how I see it.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-02-21, 01:33 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
In Sweden - and most of Europe AFAIK - the rules WRT power and allowed speed are clear. Anything bought from a store and kept stock won’t have any fuzzies to it WRT power and allowed speed.
Design-wise, We don’t get much of that motorcycle styling. There are some high-powered off-road two-wheelers that look fairly similar to dirtbikes, but that’s more through necessity than styling. And they tend to be either home-made from DH MTBs or wildly illegal for road use, or both.
The most obvious ”fuzzy” when it comes to design are things like the Rawbike. As far as fit and position goes, it’s somewhere between a Cruiser and an old school moped. These CAN be pedaled, but not very efficiently. Some riders are content with putting in the token effort to keep the motor going. Others modify them to use a throttle.
Overall, I’m honestly not that troubled by the legal definition. If it weighs like a bicycle and moves like a bicycle, let it move with the bicycles.
A technically illegal DIY bike that’s ridden sensibly would trouble me less than a stock ebike with the front brake disassembled.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-02-21, 04:58 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
A technically illegal DIY bike that’s ridden sensibly would trouble me less than a stock ebike with the front brake disassembled.
Why would someone do that?
Old 06-02-21, 05:03 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
Why would someone do that?
I have no idea. Maybe the fear of going OTB.
One of the downsides of ebikes is the huge influx of new, inexperienced riders they've created. OTB could be a valid concern for them.
Whatever the reason, I'll see at least one every week I ride in city traffic.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-07-21, 06:08 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Lots of poorly built, overpowered, unlicensced, uninsurable, DIY motorcycles out there, trying to masquerade as ebikes.
Ask your insurance agent rather than your legislature if it is an insurable electric bicycle, and if you are covered.
Old 06-12-21, 04:56 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have a converted T50 and have a throttle as well as pedal assist, but the main purpose of the throttle is to assist taking off as the T50 is a recumbent. As long as I keep pedaling, I should be okay with the law. Most of the time I run 20 mph or less. Sometimes I will crank it up to 25 mph. 15 mph max would be useless to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.