Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Scootstar Beachstar 350w

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Scootstar Beachstar 350w

Old 06-06-21, 03:27 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Scootstar Beachstar 350w

Saw one of these today at a local scooter shop. Didn’t have a chance to ride it, but looks pretty solid. Anybody know anything about these?
Old 06-06-21, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
Ancient 7 speed and hub drive with some odd mid drive thing that might be a battery and mechanical disc brakes...Nah not gonna do it. It seems like for 2k not really worth it. The Huffy E-bike from Batch has a Bosch motor (the bottom end) and better brakes and a slightly better drivetrain and while it is basically from Huffy it seems to be a slightly better quality bike.
Old 06-06-21, 08:43 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I would look for something with 500w minimum. 350w will not be very fast, IMHO.
Old 06-11-21, 03:00 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Doesn’t anyone on this forum have one? I know that vegan works at a bike shop and pushes the big names. That’s fine, but I’m looking for some hands on responses. It’s at a local shop for me & would come with local support. I will continue to ride my Specialized with the Dillenger kit most of the time, but can travel more easily with the Scootstar. And my wife can ride it when we ride together. I would rather not wait for an ordered ebike.
Old 06-12-21, 07:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by MJH
Doesn’t anyone on this forum have one? I know that vegan works at a bike shop and pushes the big names. That’s fine, but I’m looking for some hands on responses. It’s at a local shop for me & would come with local support. I will continue to ride my Specialized with the Dillenger kit most of the time, but can travel more easily with the Scootstar. And my wife can ride it when we ride together. I would rather not wait for an ordered ebike.
I do push reliable known quantity bikes with good support and warranty behind them, sure some of them are big names but not always Note I recommended getting a Batch (Huffy) for close to the same cost and it has Bosch . If you are set on getting one, get one and good luck. It doesn't seem like anyone here has one and probably for good reason,

Look at the odd battery that I have never seen anywhere and look at the quality of components on it. If you find that is worth it to you to spend $1900 for 7 speed components, mechanical disc brakes, a non-common battery and a less efficient hub drive, go for it. However for only $200 more I can get a reliable Bosch mid-drive with easily found batteries, hydraulic disc brakes, 8 speed components (not great but a step up from 7 speeds) from a slightly more recognized brand. I can go into most shops and get service for Bosch, a lot of shops don't want to work on the kit bikes and hub drives. I am not supporting Huffy but over a complete no-name brand that has worse components, yeah Huffy or "Batch" it is.
Old 06-13-21, 07:52 AM
MJH

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I do push reliable known quantity bikes with good support and warranty behind them, sure some of them are big names but not always Note I recommended getting a Batch (Huffy) for close to the same cost and it has Bosch . If you are set on getting one, get one and good luck. It doesn't seem like anyone here has one and probably for good reason,

Look at the odd battery that I have never seen anywhere and look at the quality of components on it. If you find that is worth it to you to spend $1900 for 7 speed components, mechanical disc brakes, a non-common battery and a less efficient hub drive, go for it. However for only $200 more I can get a reliable Bosch mid-drive with easily found batteries, hydraulic disc brakes, 8 speed components (not great but a step up from 7 speeds) from a slightly more recognized brand. I can go into most shops and get service for Bosch, a lot of shops don't want to work on the kit bikes and hub drives. I am not supporting Huffy but over a complete no-name brand that has worse components, yeah Huffy or "Batch" it is.
OK, gotcha. I do appreciate your advice. Do you know of any dealers that have these in the greater St. Louis area? I'm also looking for a step thru and didn't see one on their page.
Old 06-14-21, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MJH
OK, gotcha. I do appreciate your advice. Do you know of any dealers that have these in the greater St. Louis area? I'm also looking for a step thru and didn't see one on their page.
https://www.batchbicycles.com/store-locator

Big Shark looks like one but there may be others. I don't know St. Louis really at all.