Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP 5000, Round 2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP 5000, Round 2

Old 06-13-21, 01:44 PM
  #1  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Conti GP 5000, Round 2

OK,the Power Roads are pretty worn, with one TWI gone and another nearly gone, so time to replace (for me). Going to give the Conti GP 5000s another shot. The long term test on BRR seems to indicate that my first try was an aberration, and not typical of the tire's durability. Hoping for the best. Off to the LBS tomorrow AM.
dmanthree is offline  
Old 06-13-21, 04:29 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,647

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,162 Posts
What didn't you like? Guess you must have a older post about it.

They seem to do well for me. As good or better than my Vittoria Rubino Pro's I had previously. No punctures in this last new set that I put on my Tarmac 3000 miles ago. Only one puncture on the set that's on my Paramount that probably have more mileage, but I don't have records of when I actually put them on it.

Cornering on the few really downhill twisty trails I can find here they do well on. And flying around a corner on the road I can pedal through the turn with power and confidence..... so far. Still worry about a pedal strike some as I seem to be taking turns faster and maybe banking more.

Mine are the tubed version FYI and FWIW
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-13-21, 06:41 PM
  #3  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
What didn't you like? Guess you must have a older post about it.

They seem to do well for me. As good or better than my Vittoria Rubino Pro's I had previously. No punctures in this last new set that I put on my Tarmac 3000 miles ago. Only one puncture on the set that's on my Paramount that probably have more mileage, but I don't have records of when I actually put them on it.

Cornering on the few really downhill twisty trails I can find here they do well on. And flying around a corner on the road I can pedal through the turn with power and confidence..... so far. Still worry about a pedal strike some as I seem to be taking turns faster and maybe banking more.

Mine are the tubed version FYI and FWIW
I had durability issues. One blowout and a couple of flats. Love the ride and handling, but, well...

Anyway, your experience is what I'm looking for.
dmanthree is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 05:15 AM
  #4  
jpescatore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashton, MD USA
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
I've been using tubeful GP5000 32mm on my road bike for 3 years now. The only flats I've gotten in about 8,000 miles have been wire shard punctures - three of those and two were slow leaks that didn't impact the ride. I've never found any "supple/fast" tires that stopped wire shards. The GP5000s seem pretty impervious to glass ever getting thru the belt.

I've gotten about 2k miles out of them (on the rear) before the wear indicators are close to disappearing - I don't push mileage on tires anymore.

They are also the easiest to get on of any tires I've tried in many years - with the Schwalbes I use on my gravel/touring bike, I pretty much have to carry a bead jack - those are nearly impossible to get by hand in the comfort of my garage, let alone on the side of the road.
jpescatore is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 06:42 AM
  #5  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,436

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6559 Post(s)
Liked 3,057 Times in 1,669 Posts
I have a set of 25s, which I put on in early March 2020 and which must gone well over 10,000 mi by now. The wear dimples are still just visible on the rear. I've had no punctures, just a couple of pinch flats from deliberate under-inflation. I don't weigh much and rarely lock up the brakes, but I think that's pretty good durability!
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-14-21, 07:05 AM
  #6  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I have a set of 25s, which I put on in early March 2020 and which must gone well over 10,000 mi by now. The wear dimples are still just visible on the rear. I've had no punctures, just a couple of pinch flats from deliberate under-inflation. I don't weigh much and rarely lock up the brakes, but I think that's pretty good durability!
Over 10K miles? I mean no disrespect, but that sure sounds hard to believe. However, I'll be mounting them later today and hoping I can come even close to what you've experienced!
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-14-21, 07:25 AM
  #7  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,436

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6559 Post(s)
Liked 3,057 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
Over 10K miles? I mean no disrespect, but that sure sounds hard to believe. However, I'll be mounting them later today and hoping I can come even close to what you've experienced!
You're not the only one who finds it hard to believe. Unfortunately, I don't have my mileage broken down by bike, so I can't give precise numbers, but "working" from home has freed up a lot of training time, the vast majority of which was on that bike. Based on the grand total of about 8k, I figure about 6k outdoors for calendar 2020. Mar-Mar must have been higher because of the pandemic. Then add Mar-Jun 2021 and it's got to be real close to 10. Even if I'm off by a grand or two, that's pretty good.

It helps to weigh in the low 140s.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-14-21, 09:51 AM
  #8  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
You're not the only one who finds it hard to believe. Unfortunately, I don't have my mileage broken down by bike, so I can't give precise numbers, but "working" from home has freed up a lot of training time, the vast majority of which was on that bike. Based on the grand total of about 8k, I figure about 6k outdoors for calendar 2020. Mar-Mar must have been higher because of the pandemic. Then add Mar-Jun 2021 and it's got to be real close to 10. Even if I'm off by a grand or two, that's pretty good.

It helps to weigh in the low 140s.
I think my weight, 175, is a big factor. Combine that with some hills and, well, the rear tire usually wears down pretty quickly. Except for those GP 4 Seasons. They seem to last forever.
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-14-21, 10:39 AM
  #9  
catchey
Wheel Sucker
 
catchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Bluff, IL
Posts: 4

Bikes: Serotta Ottro, Guerchotti Team Force, Bianchi Pista, Gunnar Roadie Coupler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched over from Michelin Pro 4, . Durability of the Conti 5000 much much better, and they are faster. Combine with latex tubes and its about as good as it gets. I weigh in at about 165, running 25mm on ENVE 6.5 clinchers. The tread separated from the casing on my Michelins riding in the heat of Florida, so those have durability issues. Conti 5000's no complaint here
catchey is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
  #10  
deacon mark
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,786

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
Over 10K miles? I mean no disrespect, but that sure sounds hard to believe. However, I'll be mounting them later today and hoping I can come even close to what you've experienced!
I just replaced mine they had about 6000 miles and the wear indicators just finally disappearing. I pretty sure i could have gotten another 1000 to 1500 miles on them but why take a chance rubber is what is on the road and it is not a bad thing to have good rubber. I can get 5500-7500 out of them easy with one rotate front to back at about 2000 miles.
deacon mark is offline  
Old 06-15-21, 07:07 PM
  #11  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,401

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 392 Posts
GP5Ks and latex tubes for me, no punctures in over two years (multiple sets of tires, I rode over 12k miles last year).
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 06-17-21, 06:55 AM
  #12  
Chandne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,410

Bikes: 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Yeti SB4.5, Pivot Shuttle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
I stocked up on 7-8 of the older 25mm 4000s just in case though I'll prob move to tubeless soon. I ran into the Conti rep for this area. He said they had made the tire slightly thinner. I found that weird. Why mess with a good thing? The 4000s were stellar. Anyway, he said they had no sidewall issues or anything like that but it does appear that the 5000 is slightly more prone to punctures.
Chandne is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 01:20 AM
  #13  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 6,520

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 762 Posts
was a michelin pro 4 guy before the conti gp 5000's and was happy with them but bought a pair for a vintage nishiki build
in may 2020 to see what all the hype was about. have since slapped conti gp 5000's on the other three road bikes. love
love the conti gp 5000's. rocking the '23's for all four bikes (with tubes) and have had two flats total (on different bikes)
in a year and approx 6,000 miles. roads around san diego highly mixed in terms of quality and have taken the tires on
the occasional mile, or four, of gravel dirt w/o regret. like the neil diamond composition/monkees song...i'm a believer.

they ain't cheap (probikekit.com does flash sales on them approx every month tho) but, imho, they're worth it for the
speed, feel, response and durability. $20 pricier (on sale) than the michelin pro 4's but happy enough with them to pay the difference.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 06-18-21 at 01:24 AM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 05:54 AM
  #14  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 552 Posts
I used to ride with a guy who constantly got flats and complained about every brand/make of tire he ever had. He never missed an opportunity to ride in the road sweep on the shoulder that literally looked like a yard sale for glass, wire, wheel weights and everything else. As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but sometimes it isn't the tire, it's the pilot
__________________
nomadmax is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 03:37 PM
  #15  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
I used to ride with a guy who constantly got flats and complained about every brand/make of tire he ever had. He never missed an opportunity to ride in the road sweep on the shoulder that literally looked like a yard sale for glass, wire, wheel weights and everything else. As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but sometimes it isn't the tire, it's the pilot
I do pay attention to road conditions. Well, not so much when riding the GP 4 Season tires, but with everything else, yes. I don't look for trouble. Only one flat this year due to some road debris that was unavoidable. Not the tire's fault at all. Taking the 5000s out for the first time tomorrow. Should be fun.
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-18-21, 03:38 PM
  #16  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
I stocked up on 7-8 of the older 25mm 4000s just in case though I'll prob move to tubeless soon. I ran into the Conti rep for this area. He said they had made the tire slightly thinner. I found that weird. Why mess with a good thing? The 4000s were stellar. Anyway, he said they had no sidewall issues or anything like that but it does appear that the 5000 is slightly more prone to punctures.
If you do move to tubeless, avoid Stan's sealant. It's pure evil.
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-18-21, 04:03 PM
  #17  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,168
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
If you do move to tubeless, avoid Stan's sealant. It's pure evil.
What's the issue with Stans? I've used it on one bike for about a year with no problems. It sealed half a dozen leaks in the rear tire over about a year.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 04:06 PM
  #18  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 4,220

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
As far as accelerated wear goes, lower pressures can cause more heat/wear.
I suspect that accelerated wear from lower pressures is more of a car thing, where heating levels and temperatures can be high.

Not much heating going on in a bike tire.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 04:52 PM
  #19  
sw20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
replaced my Corsa G+ with GP5000s, these are my new favorite tyres!
sw20 is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 05:20 PM
  #20  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,750

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16833 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,873 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
What's the issue with Stans? I've used it on one bike for about a year with no problems. It sealed half a dozen leaks in the rear tire over about a year.
You're one of the very few road cyclists with a positive take on Stan's. Most find that it doesn't work well at road tire pressures. I actually suspect that much of the pushback on road tubeless is because of people using Stan's.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 06-18-21, 09:31 PM
  #21  
Chandne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,410

Bikes: 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Yeti SB4.5, Pivot Shuttle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
I prefer Orange Seal (regular) over Stan's now, though I have used both a ton over the last few years. Stan's works well at lower pressures but I still think Orange Seal has the edge.
Chandne is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 02:39 AM
  #22  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,168
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
You're one of the very few road cyclists with a positive take on Stan's. Most find that it doesn't work well at road tire pressures. I actually suspect that much of the pushback on road tubeless is because of people using Stan's.
I use them on 28mm tires so not very high pressure. Don’t really need it on my summer bike.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 04:46 AM
  #23  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
I suspect that accelerated wear from lower pressures is more of a car thing, where heating levels and temperatures can be high.

Not much heating going on in a bike tire.
Hysteresis is very real, in all tires; it is the primary cause of rolling resistance. Exaggerated tire case deformation (due to lower tire pressures below intended engineering spec) will indeed produce heat and can cause accelerated wear.
__________________

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-19-21 at 08:03 AM.
nomadmax is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 08:58 AM
  #24  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 4,220

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
Hysteresis is very real, in all tires; it is the primary cause of rolling resistance. Exaggerated tire case deformation (due to lower tire pressures below intended engineering spec) will indeed produce heat and can cause accelerated wear.
Yes, hysteresis is real.
Yes, it raises the temperature of a tire.
Yes, a hot tire is softer and more susceptible to wear.
Yes, a low tire pressure will produce more hysteresis heating.

No, this increased hysteresis heating will not cause accelerated wear in a bike tire.

The heat of a bike tire is tiny, less than 20 watts. There is no way that 20 watts is going to raise a tire's temperature enough to make it so soft that it will wear prematurely.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  
Old 06-19-21, 11:28 AM
  #25  
dmanthree
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,404

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
What's the issue with Stans? I've used it on one bike for about a year with no problems. It sealed half a dozen leaks in the rear tire over about a year.
I flatted out with a tubeless tire when I hit a pothole and broke the bead. No choice but to use a tube. Ths sealant then "welded" the tube to the tire making it impossible to use the tire as a tubeless tire again, unless you left a ton of tube stuck to the tire. It was a mess. Also, I accidentally spilled a little on the garage floor, and then threw some newspaper on it to avoid stepping in it. It's still there. Hate the stuff.
dmanthree is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.