Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2010 Veluta(gasp a thread not about doping)

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 02:23 PM
Kayce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The start lists are begging to announced with the race starting August 28.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ana-start-list

Who looks good, who wont finish(do to the WC? Will sastre do well in his third GT this year?

I think the Cervelo team is the strongest for sprints. My bet for winning overall is LL Sanchez or maybe Frank Schlek. I doubt Cav, Farrier, Boonen, and Cancellara will finish. Sastre will get top 20.
Old 08-13-10, 03:34 PM
paperbackwriter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the route, but that's often the case with Vuelta and it can mean nothing. But on paper some climbing stages look evil, so yeah, I also won't be surprised if Cav, Cancellara etc. don't finish. I'm looking forward to night TT in Sevilla as well, should be pretty cool.

About favourites- I agree that Lulu Sanchez looks quite strong lately and he may be among the ones especially hungry for success, as I think he was a bit dissappointed with his TdF performance, not to mention that he's one of the strongest Spaniards (though guys like Anton or Mosquera may be equally dangerous, being fresh and all; and Lulu's teammate Arroyo had a good season so far) and probably has the strongest team. But my types are Nibali and Frank Schleck- both didn't have a chance to prove themselves at TdF though they really wanted to and seem to believe they could do well, and both were in good form this year (I'm not sure if it's still the case though, didn't see Frank for quite a while).
I also think Menchov may surprise again- he said his main target was TdF and he's satisfied, and at Vuelta he'll take it easy and see what happens. But it looks like a perfect situation for him to have a great GT, he's just the type of rider who'll find his chances to come out of nowhere few times and who knows if it won't take him to the very top.
I was also considering Rodriguez as one of the main candidates for podium, but he said he will be more after stage wins than GC. He's probably too tired, which's a shame, because the route seems to suit him.

As for Sastre, I think he may even finish top 10, it's the only GT this year for which he can prepare properly (and I think the fact that it's his 3rd GT this year will affect him less than it normally does, he still raced less this year than for example Menchov).
Old 08-13-10, 04:43 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
If L.L. Sanchez wins, it's because no serious contenders showed up ready to give it their best. This has been the main factor that has suppressed my enthusiasm for following the race in most recent years.
Old 08-13-10, 10:46 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
If L.L. Sanchez wins, it's because no serious contenders showed up ready to give it their best. This has been the main factor that has suppressed my enthusiasm for following the race in most recent years.
It seems like some guys are going all out because its pretty much the end of the season. And others seem like they're just trying to get through it because its the end of the season. Then some are taking it easy because of the worlds. Its hard to predict.
Old 08-15-10, 01:57 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
It's too soon after the Tour, that's their problem.
Old 08-24-10, 06:35 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm excited anyway. too soon for the riders maybe, but not soon enough for this fan!
Old 08-24-10, 06:53 PM
DCnoJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going with The Silent Assassin.