Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie help with what used bikes to consider

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-06-21, 08:56 PM
CallmeChester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a used road bike to pull double duty. I want to kit it out as a commuter to my new job (starting this month) but also want it to be semi competitive if I want to get a more aggressive saddle/handlebars for exercise/racing as a hobby.

I've been looking at A LOT of used bikes and have a question. Is it better to buy a nicer older bike or a more budget new bike?

This weekend I'm looking at both a 2005 Felt F55 and a 2013 Jamis Ventura Comp. If the older bike is in good shape is it a much better choice or should I just go with the newer frame that has far worse components?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Cheers,

Chester
Old 12-06-21, 09:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
You have asked the Magic Question .... the Question with No Answer.

Get a bike which fits you. If you cannot ride it comfortably, nothing else matters.

Get a bike which meets your primary needs. You can commute on any bike, and you can start racing on pretty much any bike. if you get serious about racing you will be dropping a ton of money there, and your old double-duty commuter will be relegated to work rides.

Other questions---how long a commute? What kind of pavement? Do you need to carry anything, and if so, how much?

What kind of racing? You could get a good gravel bike frame and a second set of wheels and commute perfectly well five days a week and have a bike on par with the racers on the dirt on the weekends. if you like road-racing, you wil have to make more compromises, potentially ....

Also .... how much do you ride right now>? What kind of bike do you ride and what kind of roads? What kind of distance?

Your comment about "a more aggressive saddle/handlebars for exercise/racing as a hobby" makes me think you have not done any real research about riding ror acing, and that maybe this is your first bike since childhood. No problem .... a lot of people stop riding once they get a car, and then realize later that riding to work is pretty cool and riding for fun is fun. We will be all kinds of glad to help .... but we need to know what's up with you.

Again----Get a Bike Which Fits. Nothing else matters if you don't do this. If you don't know what fits, there is the Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator for a general idea, but you really have to sit on a bunch of bikes to see what "a good fit" feels like.

Buying used can be great, if you really know your bikes. Thing with used bikes is you need to know when a bike is a garage queen with 300 miles in ten years, or the bike some guy beat to death daily for ten years with no maintenance and then washed and polished. You need to be able to recognize components ... there are some parts which are hard to find nowadays and if you buy a ten-year-old part which cannot be replaced, then you are stuck figuring out a replacement and maybe buying new, which might cost half what the bike cost. Or you might have to face the disappointment of finding out that your new used bike has stopped working with a seized bearing somewhere because you didn't know to check ... and now you have to skip work and walk to a bike shop and deal with all that. It hurts.

Buying used is probably the best way to get a bike if you have infinite patience and a good buddy who loves bikes and can go to every potential sale with you. otherwise, it is sometimes a way to trade cash for long-term regret. Also, when you buy used, generally you will need to do or pay to have done a little mechanic work---lubricating, adjusting, changing cables, re-adjusting, re-indexing .... checking spokes, tightening or truing wheels .... if you cannot do these things yourself, add them into your budget.

Buying new--ugh. I haven't shopped much but prices are getting ridiculous. The only positive is that most "entry-level" bikes nowadays are ridiculously well-equipped compared to ten or 20 years ago. Lots of "beginner" bikes (I mean more serious bikes, not big-box-store bikes) should last you a couple decades and offer the same performance as mid-range bikes from a decade ago. You won't be hurting.

So .... whatever. Supply a little more information and people will know better how to help you. Some folks might even help you check your local Craigslist, once you dial in on what you really want.

As a longtime rider and commuter, I hope you make the best possible choices and deal well with your outcomes. Cycling can be a source of great joy.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-06-21, 10:56 PM
CallmeChester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the very well thought out reply. I should have started by specifying more information but didn't want to be long-winded. I guess I should explain the situation better:

I am 31 now with not a bike in sight. However, in college I took up cycling and was part of the cycling club/team. I never ended up doing any competitions but frequently went on 60-100 mile rides. During that time I got a good deal on a 2003 Giant TCR Composite. It was light, fast, and a blast to ride! When I first started I knew very little but ended up having a knack for cycling. I have always been fairly athletic and often kept up with far more seasoned members of the club.

You are right to think I don't know too much about how to kit a bike out for competition. That TCR I had was well taken care of and already set up for me.

However, that was 8 years ago at this point. I have long since sold that bike as I lived multiple years abroad. I still know basic maintenance for the bike and could probably tell which machines have been stored vs. abused but would take anything past basic maintenance into a shop to do it right.

Starting out I want to get the ride primarily for a commuter. That would be it's primary function. The route I have mapped to the new job is only 15 miles one way and uses a smooth bike trail for 1/2 of that stretch. I definitely could get away with a standard road bike.

So what I'm trying to find now is a bike that can haul me with a backpack and maybe get a small rear fender for my commute but could also (due to budget considerations) be used for exercise. I do always love to plan ahead though and I've always regretted not doing any races in my college days... So having something that would, as I stated before, at least be semi-competitive is a definite plus on my end.

I have been researching things like crazy trying to dip my toes back in but finally decided to try a forum like this and talk to anyone who knows more. This time around I want a decent bike but my budget is only $650. I know I can't get carbon at that range and honestly I know I don't really need it. As you said, I just want a bike that fits. That's why I've been trying to find decent aluminum options between 52-54cm. I'm about 5' 7.5" with shorter than average arms.

Then I've been getting caught up with the details as well. There's the people who suggest you should try to find a bike with better components because that's what really matters, while other opinions say - eh shimano claris does you just fine anyway...

After quite a few weeks of looking in my area and nearby in the college town I used to live in I've come across two bikes I figure I'd at least try to ride and see how they feel. Here's the listings:

Just kidding. Apparently I can't post links unless I've been a member for longer... Well it's a 2013 Jamis Ventura Comp with all stock parts but new tires. (Price is $500 FIRM)

The Jamis is the newer ride (by 8 years) but comes with sora shifter and (thought it's been impossible for me to find reliable reviews) slightly worse rims? Talking with this seller so far I know I'd get the speedplay pedals, cleats, and saddlebag thrown in and the tires are new as of last year (don't remember what they were thought).

The other option so far has been this:

Again blocked by being a new member/poster. This one was a 2005 Felt F55. Obviously due to it's age it looked less shiny and pristine but from pictures didn't look like it had been abused. (would have to inspect it closer if I do end up going to take a look obviously) - Price $650 OBO, contacted buyer that I'd be looking more at $450 and they would consider

It's quite a bit older but comes with higher end components and seems generally "higher rated" by what I can search online. This would also come with the pedals but seller wasn't sure how old the tires are.

Other options I've seen so far in my size/price range: 2010 Trek 1.2,2006 LeMond Tourmalet, 2012 Trek 2.3, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.0, 2013 Trek Lexa (woman's but right frame size)

TL;DR I'm not totally new to cycling but have forgotten more than I remember. I also want to go fast and have some fun but mostly need a commuter that can play both roles. If I get into the sport side of it more I can always upgrade but would like something in the middle for now.

Last edited by CallmeChester; 12-06-21 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 01:50 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Look at both bikes if you can. The upside to the Felt is higher quality components that are also built to perform better and last longer. The downside is people who buy this level of components tend to ride a lot of miles. On the flip side, the Jamis has lower grade components, but maybe it was bought by a person just getting their feet wet who didn't like it after only a few rides. If both bikes are in equal condition, I would lean toward the Felt.
Old 12-07-21, 07:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Okay .... certainly, do not post links using some workaround like "https://www.------bikeforums.----net/road-cycling/1243340------newbie-help-what-----used-bikes-------consider.html" .... Don't do that, even if it works.

Second ... old Sora was pretty good. new Sora is quite good (I hear) compared to old Sora, with which I have experience.

Old Claris is okay ... new Claris is supposed to be significantly better. Shimano upgraded all of its ranges a few years back and any component group less than about three years old is going to be more than adequate.

You seem to know how to pick a bike which fits, which is great. You probably can tell when a bike is too used, also .... so what you need to do (IMO) is wait for that perfect bike---the one which fits, needs no or minimal repair, looks good to you, has ridiculously low mileage for the price ...... for your budget used will probably get you a much better bike.

As for exercise and going fast, most bikes can go fast .... it sort of depends on the rider. If you plan to use a backpack instead of panniers or a trunk bag, you have a much wider range of choices. because you won't need a rack.

One factor you might want to keep in mind is that tire widths have increased a lot in the past few years, so an only frame might not fit a wider tire. I like 28s as a rule for road use, but I have a frame which can only fit narrow 28s, and an older frame which is even tighter. Just something to keep in mind when looking at an older frame.

You are basically in the perfect position .... you know enough to buy a good used bike, you don't need any amazing (and thus expensive) components, and you should be able to find a bike much better than new for less than new entry-level money.
Old 12-07-21, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Get two bikes. One a commuter and one a road bike. IMO road bikes are for the open road.

Commuter should have a very relaxed position and maybe even attach points for a racks and fenders. Perhaps a touring type road bike might be the best between the two extremes, but then there goes that fast and racy you were going for.
Old 12-07-21, 09:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Put 39,000 Miles on my FELT.

V 600 Mile Tour

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-07-21 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-08-21, 07:35 AM
CallmeChester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So apparently the forum algorithm must have had an upgrade since the last time someone tried to --- cheat ---- the ----- system. (Still noticed it was a link despite breaking it up).

So update on my search.

Considering the advice from Iride01, I started looking at maybe getting a vintage road bike as a cheap commuter with the possibility of having to just shell out extra $$ in spring for a dedicated speed machine. I came across this "Garage Queen" as you called it... though I'd be more partial to "Garage Gal" as I do love some good alliteration. Supposedly has been stored for ~20yrs.

It's a 1986 Raleigh Technium. I've been looking into it and they are quite strange bikes with being bonded at the joints with epoxy. It looks like some people love'em and others hate'em. I would supply a link/pictures if this as well but I need to get to 10 posts first I guess... This thing does look like it hasn't even been ridden more than a handful of times.

On top of looking into that I am also considering the FELT less at this point. Due to the seller of the FELT being unbelievably frustrating to deal with I'm currently leaning towards (obviously pending ride feel/inspection) either the Jamis and have it pull double duty for a few seasons or this vintage Raleigh and figure out a second bike come spring.

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-21, 08:48 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
If you don’t currently have a bike, there’s no problem with starting out with just 1 bike. The Jamis sounds like plenty of bike for going on group rides etc whilst also being entirely appropriate for commuting (people ride Sora bikes to work every day).

It’s a shame the Felt might not work out, as 10 speed DuraAce would be my choice over any Sora group, particularly if it’s the old thumb-shifter Sora.

I wouldn’t deliberately go out and get a clunker like the Technium unless it will genuinely clear up enough budget for you to then get a good, lightweight, modern, newish true road bike.
Old 12-08-21, 02:07 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
If you had a TCR, the Jamis might disappoint...
Old 12-08-21, 04:09 PM
Maelochs

The Technium is actually a good vintage bike but because it is so old you might be really compromised in temrs of replacement parts and parts options---I think it might have a narrow rear dropout spacing which means you couldn't use modern wheels and drivetrains, and since it is aluminum, you can't really safely stretch it (my '84 Raleigh is steel so I could "cold-set" it to fit modern parts.) Not sure about '86 .... but unless you are way into C&V ... let some Ancient Artifact Aficionado scoop it up.)

Keep shopping.

The hardest part about buying a good used bike is patience. I can pretty much gguarante4e you, though, if you jump early, the next day after you bring home the "okay" bike, the perfect bike will show up.

Another option is to buy a cheap bike ..... something that fits and can be ridden---for a fraction of your budget, then shop for a "real" bike with less internal pressure.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-09-21, 05:55 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like your previous experience puts you in good stead in terms of knowledge, especially if you were happy with the way your previous setup worked for you, you should try to leverage that by finding a bike that will replicate that experience in terms of fit. My experience following a similar 12ish years off the bike (college, girls, family, yadda yadda) was that once I got my position close to where it had been, the body still remembers all those pedal revs from before the time off and it's magical.