Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Changes Focus

Old 05-12-22, 08:30 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Zwift Changes Focus

Looks like Zwift has given up on hardware and will focus on software. Big layoffs coming, too. Honestly, this is a good move. They're a software company, always have been. make that better, and either buy or merge with one of the "real life" sims to broaden it's appeal. Leave hardware to the companies dedicated to hardware.
Old 05-12-22, 10:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
As I take another look at the stock chart for Peloton...
Old 05-12-22, 06:33 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
As I take another look at the stock chart for Peloton...
Peleton's weakness is that the hardware and software are married. And it's really expensive.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-13-22, 09:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Very true. Add these factors: 1. Assume covid demand is permanent. 2. Put a child-eating treadmill on the market. num num. 3. Believe your own hype.
Heard today they're planning to introduce a rowing machine. Who wants a millenial cheerleader yelling at you on a rower to Lady Gaga? Just like cycling is not spinning ("Third position people"), I don't see how rowing fits into their "go to classes" model. Not selling my C3 just yet...
Old 05-13-22, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Peleton's weakness is that the hardware and software are married. And it's really expensive.
Isn't the other problem that the resistance is controlled manually? That is, you have to turn the knob yourself, it doesn't adjust automatically like a Smart trainer. I think that relegates it to "workout machine" vs "virtual cycling tool" - it's excluded from all the virtual cycling apps, and the nature of having to change the resistance manually makes it unlike cycling IRL, where you encounter sudden sharp climbs, rollers, long climbs with varying pitches, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-13-22, 11:18 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by genejockey
Isn't the other problem that the resistance is controlled manually? That is, you have to turn the knob yourself, it doesn't adjust automatically like a Smart trainer. I think that relegates it to "workout machine" vs "virtual cycling tool" - it's excluded from all the virtual cycling apps, and the nature of having to change the resistance manually makes it unlike cycling IRL, where you encounter sudden sharp climbs, rollers, long climbs with varying pitches, etc.
Yes, the device isn't "smart" and that's another drawback. But if you're using Zwift and a smart trainer, and Zwift goes away, you have lots of other choices. With Peleton, well, if they go under you're left with a big heavy doorstop.
Old 05-13-22, 11:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yes, the device isn't "smart" and that's another drawback. But if you're using Zwift and a smart trainer, and Zwift goes away, you have lots of other choices. With Peleton, well, if they go under you're left with a big heavy doorstop.
Right. Peloton bikes could become the Betamax of exercise bikes. And even if Peloton DOESN'T go away, you're entirely limited to their content. I wonder how many people who have Peloton bikes have heard about Zwift and want to try it out, only to learn they really can't.

Old 05-13-22, 11:40 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by genejockey
Right. Peloton bikes could become the Betamax of exercise bikes. And even if Peloton DOESN'T go away, you're entirely limited to their content. I wonder how many people who have Peloton bikes have heard about Zwift and want to try it out, only to learn they really can't.
About a month ago, when I was explaining to someone I had just met, and why I'm moving in doors, they asked, with an incredulous look, "why would you not get a Peleton?" I wimped out and gave them a polite, but true answer: Peleton is a spin class, I was looking for a road simulation. I didn't want to list all the other reason that peleton is, for me, a really bad idea.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-13-22, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
About a month ago, when I was explaining to someone I had just met, and why I'm moving in doors, they asked, with an incredulous look, "why would you not get a Peleton?" I wimped out and gave them a polite, but true answer: Peleton is a spin class, I was looking for a road simulation. I didn't want to list all the other reason that peleton is, for me, a really bad idea.
if they had a peloton then you probably did the right thing. if they don't then you might have educated them if they were in the market for such a bike. my sister's turned into a laundry rack after a while.
Old 05-13-22, 01:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's a good way to put it.

Old 05-13-22, 04:30 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Not that I'm in the market for Peloton myself, but I believe there is a much wider market for their product than there is for Zwift. Even our retired neighbours have one for home exercise and they don't even own bikes. There is also a "smart" version of their bike i.e. Peloton Bike+

DC Rainmaker put out an interesting review of the Peloton Bike+ which was a lot more positive than I expected.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/02/...th-review.html

As I said, Peloton is not for me, but I can see the appeal. Spin classes are pretty popular among the masses. Simulated road cycling not so much!
Old 05-13-22, 06:38 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not that I'm in the market for Peloton myself, but I believe there is a much wider market for their product than there is for Zwift. Even our retired neighbours have one for home exercise and they don't even own bikes. There is also a "smart" version of their bike i.e. Peloton Bike+

DC Rainmaker put out an interesting review of the Peloton Bike+ which was a lot more positive than I expected.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/02/...th-review.html

As I said, Peloton is not for me, but I can see the appeal. Spin classes are pretty popular among the masses. Simulated road cycling not so much!
I agree; the product is not for me, but I know a few people who swear by it. hell, if it gets them off the couch and sweating, well, that's a win.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-14-22, 05:59 AM
PeteHski

I agree; the product is not for me, but I know a few people who swear by it. hell, if it gets them off the couch and sweating, well, that's a win.
A lot of "cyclists" seem to turn their nose up at Peloton, but they are totally missing the point. Spin classes are popular and most people in that market want a packaged solution that just works out of the box. Zwift is obviously a better choice for cycling simulation but that's a relatively small crowd, even among dedicated cyclists.

I have mixed feelings about Zwift giving up on the hardware. Had they managed to create a universal hardware platform it may have helped them to create a level playing field in races (maybe holding specific events exclusive to their hardware users), rather than the random mash-up of contraptions people are currently using. For that reason I've never taken Zwift racing seriously. You may as well be racing a bunch of bots. On the other hand ditching the hardware could put more focus on developing their software. If they were going to merge, it would make sense to go with one of the leading hardware manufacturers i.e. Wahoo or Tacx. I guess the former is now very unlikely given their recent acquisition of RGT.
Old 05-14-22, 11:38 AM
dmanthree

A lot of "cyclists" seem to turn their nose up at Peloton, but they are totally missing the point. Spin classes are popular and most people in that market want a packaged solution that just works out of the box. Zwift is obviously a better choice for cycling simulation but that's a relatively small crowd, even among dedicated cyclists.

I have mixed feelings about Zwift giving up on the hardware. Had they managed to create a universal hardware platform it may have helped them to create a level playing field in races (maybe holding specific events exclusive to their hardware users), rather than the random mash-up of contraptions people are currently using. For that reason I've never taken Zwift racing seriously. You may as well be racing a bunch of bots. On the other hand ditching the hardware could put more focus on developing their software. If they were going to merge, it would make sense to go with one of the leading hardware manufacturers i.e. Wahoo or Tacx. I guess the former is now very unlikely given their recent acquisition of RGT.
Well, I've never taken anuy "E" sports seriously. Way too easy to cheat. Rigged power meters, speed sensors, weight lying, etc. Not the reason I use the platforms.

But yes, for lots of people, Peleton works, and that's great...for them.
Old 05-14-22, 02:30 PM
PeteHski

Well, I've never taken anuy "E" sports seriously. Way too easy to cheat. Rigged power meters, speed sensors, weight lying, etc. Not the reason I use the platforms.

But yes, for lots of people, Peleton works, and that's great...for them.
I agree same here. But if Zwift was a closed platform like Peloton then there would be less cheating and far less unintentional power variation among users (presuming the hardware was consistent). But it's not a big deal for me as I'm not racing competitively on Zwift (only bettering my own performance).

My comment about Peloton was really that it shouldn't really be compared against Zwift as it's in a completely different market. I would argue that Peloton's closed eco-system is its strength rather than its weakness in that market. DC Rainmaker made that point several times in his detailed review.
Old 05-15-22, 07:36 AM
dmanthree

I agree same here. But if Zwift was a closed platform like Peloton then there would be less cheating and far less unintentional power variation among users (presuming the hardware was consistent). But it's not a big deal for me as I'm not racing competitively on Zwift (only bettering my own performance).

My comment about Peloton was really that it shouldn't really be compared against Zwift as it's in a completely different market. I would argue that Peloton's closed eco-system is its strength rather than its weakness in that market. DC Rainmaker made that point several times in his detailed review.
The difference is, to me, that if one side goes away there are other choices. Zwift goes under? Use another platform. Tacx leaves the market? Use another brand. With Peleton it's all or nothing. And that's fine as long as they're viable.
Old 05-15-22, 08:25 AM
PeteHski

The difference is, to me, that if one side goes away there are other choices. Zwift goes under? Use another platform. Tacx leaves the market? Use another brand. With Peleton it's all or nothing. And that's fine as long as they're viable.
Yeah, can't argue with that from a customer perspective. But if I was Zwift I would be a bit concerned about being totally dependent on third party hardware that I had no control over. Now that Wahoo has acquired both Sufferfest and RGT they could choose to make life awkward for Zwift by bundling hardware/software solutions. As a perfect example, I have just suspended my Zwift subscription simply because I now get free access to RGT via my Wahoo subscription (not that I think RGT is as good as Zwift today, but it saves me a whole subscription). How long before Wahoo start bundling compelling hardware/software packages, effectively leaving Zwift out in the cold? Presumably that's exactly why they bought these software providers. Then there's Garmin, having acquired Tacx. Surely Garmin will be sniffing around the software side of the business too?

Looking at it another way, if Zwift had successfully launched a compelling hardware platform and made their software exclusive to it (or at least provided exclusive features) then they would have totally dominated the entire market like Peloton have in their own field. DC Rainmaker made a similar comment in this article a couple of years ago.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/...ns-to-you.html

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-15-22 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 07:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Same could be said about apple products (at least in the early 2000s).
Old 05-18-22, 07:40 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by himespau
Same could be said about apple products (at least in the early 2000s).
For the computer and the OS, yes. But the application software is another matter. And you could always switch to a different OS and move the data if you want.
Old 05-18-22, 08:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
For the computer and the OS, yes. But the application software is another matter. And you could always switch to a different OS and move the data if you want.
I was thinking more about the iPod and how you were locked into iTunes with it. To me, it seemed risky at the time. Looking back, that seems a bit silly.
Old 05-18-22, 10:49 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by himespau
I was thinking more about the iPod and how you were locked into iTunes with it. To me, it seemed risky at the time. Looking back, that seems a bit silly.
True, once you're in the Apple ecosystem it's hard to get out. BTW, did you see they're discontinuing the iPod touch? Isn't this their last one?
Old 05-19-22, 11:32 AM
PeteHski

True, once you're in the Apple ecosystem it's hard to get out. BTW, did you see they're discontinuing the iPod touch? Isn't this their last one?
Yes, it is the last iPod
Old 05-19-22, 03:20 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Apple ecosystem is so much better than dealing with a separate computer and separate os. As some one in the tech business. I learned that years ago. It’s great to make money off of people who use windows. But when I got home I enjoy the calm MacOS system.
Old 05-19-22, 04:42 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Apple ecosystem is so much better than dealing with a separate computer and separate os. As some one in the tech business. I learned that years ago. It’s great to make money off of people who use windows. But when I got home I enjoy the calm MacOS system.
+1
Having suffered the PC/Windows environment for many years, I bought my first iMac in 2002 (with the really cool angle-poise arm) and never looked back. Not having to re-boot it several times a day following software crashes was a novelty at first!
Old 05-19-22, 07:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I had a number of ipods and never had itunes. No reason for me to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.