Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-22, 12:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Even legit sites are gouging on shipping now with a charge on every item. They say they might adjust it when the order is assembled, might not either.
SJS was wanting 92E shipping with a hub, small bits and 2 tires. WTF, used to be 30E I think by Royal Mail.
I then instead got the tires from Chain Reaction in Ireland.
Old 05-19-22, 12:09 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
For those wondering about the import duty on internet purchased goods for US buyers, here's the US customs website:
​​​​​https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

Packages whose declared value is under $800 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP. However, CBP always reserves the right to require a formal entry for any importation and generally exercises this option if there is something unusual about the importation, or if important documents such as an invoice or bill of sale do not accompany the item.
Old 05-19-22, 01:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Ok, so, I am no longer guilty of misinformation.

Fedex fee for such a transaction is nominal, probably less than 5 bucks. So yes, you are assuming a lot. When you accuse someone of misinformation, try knowing something about the topic.
I would be happy as a clam if FedEx only charged $5 for brokerage services, but the reality is that they charge quite a bit more than that. I’ve been importing shipments on a weekly basis for three decades, so I’ve been through this hundreds and hundreds of times with many carriers and customs brokers. No one does customs clearance for $5.
Old 05-19-22, 01:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Who would ever pay a shipping bill after you have received the shipment?
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
An honest person?
No... a stupid person.
remind me never to ship you anything in good faith.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-19-22, 01:56 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I would be happy as a clam if FedEx only charged $5 for brokerage services, but the reality is that they charge quite a bit more than that. I’ve been importing shipments on a weekly basis for three decades, so I’ve been through this hundreds and hundreds of times with many carriers and customs brokers. No one does customs clearance for $5.
You should try freight. Everybody who touches the shipment adds a charge and the last entity that releases your goods demands a 'facility' or something similar charge (better called ransom), that was never declared before and that they likely determine by looking at you: you either pay it now in cash or we will be adding a storage charge for every day from now on!
Old 05-19-22, 02:21 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 2_i
You should try freight. Everybody who touches the shipment adds a charge and the last entity that releases your goods demands a 'facility' or something similar charge (better called ransom), that was never declared before and that they likely determine by looking at you: you either pay it now in cash or we will be adding a storage charge for every day from now on!
Dont get me started! I received a shipment yesterday from Brazil via United Freight. They hit us for two weeks of storage fees, because it took them more than a week to send the shipping documents to our customs broker.
Old 05-19-22, 02:31 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by spelger
In fairness, it does seem strange that a company like Fed Ex would provide a service like this to random customers (i.e. not someone who has an account set up with them) and allow them to take delivery of goods, then expect to get paid months later via invoice. I'm surprised Fed Ex doesn't either require payment to release the shipment, or require a credit card on file before allowing the shipment to occur. I've got to think they get burned on this often and the cost of chasing people down over relatively small invoices seems unlikely to be worth the effort.

I can't really think of many other business transactions where this type of good-faith arrangement exists anymore. Maybe healthcare, but even there they often require a credit card on file before they'll do routine/elective procedures.
Old 05-19-22, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Earlier this year REI accidentally shipped me two of the same (expensive) tent but only charged me for one. I informed it of the mistake and returned the second one after receiving a return shipping label.
Old 05-19-22, 02:50 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Who would ever pay a shipping bill after you have received the shipment?
Collection agency / failure to pay strike on your credit rating.

This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.
Likes For gecho:
Old 05-19-22, 03:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho

This thread turned into much more of a fecal show than I would have ever expected and for a totally unexpected reason. Has "everything is fake" culture spread so far in America that it encompasses all aspects of life there now? God help you all.
A lot is fake. Not 30 minutes ago I got a text telling me that “the address information on your package is incorrect and cannot be delivered.” It’s accompanied by a sketchy looking link that includes “uspregards”.

Obviously trying to make you think UPS or the US postal service. Oh well. Guess my address information cannot be delivered. (Note the poor grammar. What ARE they teaching in scammer school these days?)
Old 05-19-22, 10:53 PM
Rick

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I have never had a problem with extra duty fees. My shipments from Germany go from DHL to USPS. My shipments from England go from Royal Mail to USPS. My largest order from across the pond has been under 800. The OP should be careful for proof of the dept.
Old 05-20-22, 05:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Must be nice to live in a country where you aren't subject to such fraud attempts daily. We're routinely bombarded with scam communications supposedly from large corporations pretty constantly. You'd be heading for trouble quick if you unquestioningly paid everything you got that had a corporate logo on it. You'd lose that money and find yourself on a list attracting special attention from scammers.

OP should definitely verify that it's a legit charge from FedEx, that's not society corroding "culture", it's just the reasonable thing to do.

BTW, a lot of scams used to involve getting someone in the US to wire money to Canada. Should we thank your country for our " culture "?

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-20-22 at 05:24 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 05:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
FedEx will only deliver a package with duty taxes due on it if you have a valid FedEx account with them. Otherwise, you either pay duty or you don't get your package.

Duties-and-taxes | FedEx
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-20-22, 07:56 AM
msu2001la

People are suggesting the OP verify the situation before paying. This isn't some kind of crazy culture war position to take.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-20-22, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by msu2001la
People are suggesting the OP verify the situation before paying. This isn't some kind of crazy culture war position to take.

Seriously. I didn't question the bill for my share of the Jewish Space Laser. I just paid it because it was signed by George Soros.

(I believe being Jewish licenses me to make that joke.)
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 08:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Richard, I'm not asking you to do a damn thing for me.
Old 05-20-22, 09:12 AM
tomato coupe

I can't really think of many other business transactions where this type of good-faith arrangement exists anymore. Maybe healthcare, but even there they often require a credit card on file before they'll do routine/elective procedures.
Society lives on this arrangement, i.e. unsecured credit cards.
Old 05-20-22, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

More to the point, you've seen FedEx do this, right?

I think this arrangement looks odd to people like me who don't ship much stuff. I learned from you that it actually occurs with some frequency.

People run up bills with lots of service providers and, as you point out, credit card companies.
Old 05-20-22, 09:42 AM
msu2001la

Unsecured credit cards are only issued after a bank approves an application that includes verified personal contact info and a credit check. Fed Ex is seemingly sending bills to people months after they bought stuff online, with nothing more than a name and delivery address. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a Fed Ex account.

Surely you can see the difference here, no?
Old 05-20-22, 09:43 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by livedarklions
More to the point, you've seen FedEx do this, right?
Yes, we often received invoices like this from FedEx before we had an account with them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-20-22, 09:43 AM
tomato coupe

Unsecured credit cards are only issued after a bank approves an application that includes verified personal contact info and a credit check. Fed Ex is seemingly sending bills to people months after they bought stuff online, with nothing more than a name and delivery address. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a Fed Ex account.

Surely you can see the difference here, no?
See above.
Old 05-20-22, 09:47 AM
msu2001la

See above.
That doesn't answer my question.

A large company paying for services and then invoicing individuals after the fact with little or no verified information is not a typical business practice. Our society definitely does not "live on this arrangement".
Old 05-20-22, 09:55 AM
tomato coupe

That doesn't answer my question.

A large company paying for services and then invoicing individuals after the fact with little or no verified information is not a typical business practice. Our society definitely does not "live on this arrangement".
Unsecured credit cards and FedEx are operating on the same principle; they offer a service to the end user with the assumption they will receive their money after the fact.

Have you ever seen how many credit cards are issued during the first week of a college semester? They give them out like candy, with nothing more than contact info, to kids with absolutely no credit history. It's not much different than what FedEx is doing; they both operate with the assumption that they will lose a small percentage to defaults, but that most people will pay.

The bottom line is this: FedEx sends out these invoices all the time, and everything the OP has described is consistent with their practices.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 05-20-22 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-20-22, 10:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I don't know, it's probably cheaper/easier for FedEx to pay everything in bulk (probably monthly or quarterly and they may get a discount for doing it that way) and then invoice the customer after the bill. Those customers that don't pay get bundled into packs and auctioned off to debt collectors. Getting it all automated and done in bulk saves them time (and money paying employees), and allows them to meet their shipping target goals by not having to spend time tracking each customer down. The little they lose by non-paying customers/auctioning off the debt to collectors at a discount, they make up for in decreased employee costs. Just like how many stores accept a certain amount of shrinkage and have it built into their pricing model (while being annoyed at the theft) rather than spend the money for lots of extra security and lose customers due to a draconian image.
Likes For himespau:
Old 05-20-22, 10:07 AM
msu2001la

Unsecured credit cards and FedEx are operating on the same principle; they offer a service to the end user with the assumption they will receive their money after the fact.

Have you ever seen how many credit cards are issued during the first week of a college semester? They give them out like candy, with nothing more than contact info, to kids with absolutely no credit history. It's not much different than what FedEx is doing; they both operate with the assumption that they will lose a small percentage to defaults, but that most people will pay.

The bottom line is this: FedEx sends out these invoices all the time, and everything the OP has described is consistent with their practices.
Unless Fed Ex is collecting a credit application with social security number and verifying identities, it's not the same thing at all.

You continue to miss the point that Fed Ex's practice of doing this is not typical, and someone approaching the situation that the OP described with skepticism is warranted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.