Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

this is why I'm the dumbest person I know

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 01:33 PM
matt_savvy

Bikes: 84 level, 650c harry havnoonian track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

last night, riding home, totally spaced coming up to a red light. I couldn't for the life of me figure out which way traffic was flowing, and then next thing I know I'm in the intersection, a car is flying at me and I know I'm not making it through. so in my attempt to save my life, I wound up flying into a curb, going over my bars...my frame is wrecked, my right knee is hurt pretty bad.

looks like I am going to get re-aquainted with my skateboard while waiting for the parts to build my new bike.

-matt
Old 07-24-06, 01:39 PM
No_Minkah
YOU ARE NOW TUNED IN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not too savvy...

Edit: sorry about your bike...

Last edited by No_Minkah; 07-24-06 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 01:43 PM
ranger5oh
Just shy of 400W

Bikes: Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... you arent kidding! But that totally sucks man... Hope you heal up ok, and can afford a new frame!

Old 07-24-06, 01:47 PM
shishi

Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still better than being killed by a car
Old 07-24-06, 01:48 PM
Re-Cycle
<3s bikes

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In your situatoin I'd much rather ride a beater $20 thriftstore/yardsale bike then a skateboard while you rebuild your bike.
Old 07-24-06, 02:08 PM
eddiebrannan

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
red light stop man, no matter what the cool kids say
Old 07-24-06, 02:19 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt_savvy
last night, riding home, totally spaced coming up to a red light. I couldn't for the life of me figure out which way traffic was flowing,
Usually when you see a red it means traffic is flowing transverse to the direction you are approaching it from. Or was it one of those wierd 6way intersections that didn't have proper sheilding on a light? I'm really confused about what confused you.
Old 07-24-06, 02:32 PM
srcurran

Bikes: khs flite 100, cannondale r800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Usually when you see a red it means traffic is flowing transverse to the direction you are approaching it from. Or was it one of those wierd 6way intersections that didn't have proper sheilding on a light? I'm really confused about what confused you.
i agree, i got disorented by just reading about it.
Old 07-24-06, 03:00 PM
celephaiz
I sing the body electric

Bikes: 2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeez dude knows he did something dumb. If you don't understand re-read the thread title. If you still don't understand, and OP knows you, the thread title is a lie.

sorry about the ride...
Old 07-24-06, 03:58 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-24-06, 04:11 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celephaiz
jeez dude knows he did something dumb. If you don't understand re-read the thread title. If you still don't understand, and OP knows you, the thread title is a lie.

sorry about the ride...
Forgetting what a red light means is a level of dumb I just wasn't prepared to comprehend I guess.
Old 07-24-06, 04:14 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Forgetting what a red light means is a level of dumb I just wasn't prepared to comprehend I guess.
dude almost got in a really bad accident, cut him some slack. i've done plenty of dumb stuff in my life, too, we all space every now and then...

sorry to hear about the bike!
Old 07-24-06, 04:15 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I never ride my bike when I'm spaced.
Old 07-24-06, 04:24 PM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
justsaynotospacinginoiambutwhatru?
Old 07-24-06, 04:31 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude made a sympathy plea thread because he DID get in a bad accident almost a life threatening one because he tried to run a red light at a speed he could not safely stop at if someone was coming. Being a reckless ass and begging for sympathy does not qualify you for it. Sounds like he can afford a new frame anyway so its not a big deal and it seems as though he needs frequent crashes to keep him from riding too recklessly.

Originally Posted by matt savvy(last october)
[so I got hit]
and now despite that I'm physically fine and able to ride, I'm mentally ****ed up. I second-guess every movement like five times, and just really uncomfortable. my commute to work today wasn't the fun ride it usually is, I felt like I'd never ridden in the road before. has anyone else experienced this? is this something that will go away if I just try to ride through it?

quick update - doing fine. confidence restored and not afraid or over-cautious anymore, but more aware
I guess he's kinda like a forest better to have yearly small fires then rare holocausts.

If anyone deserves sympathy its the driver he probably scared ****less and could have gotten rearended.

He was daydreaming, what happened to the amazing awareness that comes from riding brakeless?
Old 07-24-06, 04:31 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Any cyclist who tells you he doesn't bomb through four-way stop signs is either lying or the most boring person on earth. And any cyclist who says he doesn't sometimes go when the light is still red is probably also not being truthful either.

But blowing a red light without stopping indicates an amount of bravado that transcends the normal human survival instict.
Old 07-24-06, 04:44 PM
ernest
Unix Assassin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry man, that sucks. You really should get a beater bike though instead of boarding
Old 07-24-06, 04:45 PM
RedMenace
außer mir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys are ****s.

it happens. sometimes late at night, my mind is somewhere else, i roll up on a red light and i forget which direction this street goes, or in which order the turning lanes get green arrows... pretty bad luck the OP was unable to recover and went down hard, but how much of a **** must you be to slag him after the fact? get a ****ing life.
Old 07-24-06, 04:47 PM
BadAssBiker
Not Badass, it's Tim.

Bikes: NJS Peloton, 2002 fuji track, 2002 fuji league (MIA), 2005 bianchi pista, Chopper from NoName Customs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedMenace
how much of a **** must you be to slag him after the fact? get a ****ing life.
yep.
Old 07-24-06, 05:03 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedMenace
you guys are ****s.

it happens. sometimes late at night, my mind is somewhere else, i roll up on a red light and i forget which direction this street goes, or in which order the turning lanes get green arrows... pretty bad luck the OP was unable to recover and went down hard, but how much of a **** must you be to slag him after the fact? get a ****ing life.
Wait I though runniing reds without stopping or even slowing down enough to where you could stop was the safe choice. hahaha.

If you want to run reds without stopping or even looking both ways thats your and the police in your towns business. You probably get plenty of drivers mad at cyclists in general and in my opinion that makes you an **** as far as I'm concerned.

If you post about being a reckless jackass and expect my sympathy cause you trashed your frame forget about it. yeah I'm going to laugh at you and make fun of you like I do when I hear about poeple that did anything really dangerous and then had to pay the price. Also seeing as this is the third accident he's made a thread about this year it appears as though he could use a little slagging.
Old 07-24-06, 05:33 PM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just happy that you're not driving a car.
Old 07-24-06, 06:07 PM
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam

Bikes: 2016 Ritte ACE (11s Record), 1991 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), 1991 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), 1984 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jesus, when the **** is someone going to call dutret out on what a blowhard ******* he is?

it seems like every post you make is to call someone an idiot or condescend to them for making some choice that isn't 100% congruent with your idea of what's "best" (see the double-strap thread, or even better, that one where he couldn't accept track drops). it's no wonder people are talking about how much they used to like this forum with posters like you around.

so the guy made a mistake and got hurt, and maybe he was looking for a little sympathy. what's so wrong with that? we've all done stupid things on bikes that banged us up, and for all you know the dude was just trying to say "hey everybody, be careful out there." if a thread so offends your sensibilities, why don't you just leave it alone instead of being so antagonistic all the time?
Old 07-24-06, 06:25 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wah wah wah I can't cope with someone disagreeing with me. Anyway I'm not offended by the OPs post I think its really really funny. Kinda like that video of the kid in the red truck ghost riding the whip.
Old 07-24-06, 06:28 PM
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam

Bikes: 2016 Ritte ACE (11s Record), 1991 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), 1991 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), 1984 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for proving my point. ******.
Old 07-24-06, 06:34 PM
matt_savvy

Bikes: 84 level, 650c harry havnoonian track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srcurran
i agree, i got disorented by just reading about it.
haha, sorry I was disorienting. I was coming up to the light and I couldn't figure out if traffic was coming from my left or from my right (it was a one way street.) I've spaced out like this before a few times and I should have known it was gonna get me sooner or later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.