Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's start a Clubman / Path Racer Pic Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 11:50 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I have a bug up my ***** about building a replica. There have been so many great examples on this forum. I would appreciate it if we could collect them in a thread for inspiration.

Thanks and Happy Easter.

RFC
Old 04-12-09, 01:53 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I posted the following bit last year on my Raleigh rebuild:

I just completed my first project, rebuilding a Raleigh Sports 3 speed from a frame set I found on e-Bay.
After stripping the frame of all mechanicals, I had it sand blasted and powder coated a semi-gloss black.
Once I had that done, it just a matter of rebuilding from the ground up. I added a few "esentials" such as a Brooks B17 saddle in Honey, matching leather grips, a saddle bag of unknown origin, a chrome frame pump and a set of rat trap pedals with clips and straps.

Considering this is my first attempt to rebuild a bike, I think it turned out fairly well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Clubman.jpg (91.5 KB, 631 views)
Likes For gbalke:
Old 04-12-09, 02:15 PM
steppinthefunk 
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I feel a little obligated to post my Raleigh. Here she is:

She currently loos like this though:

As I work on a new project:
Old 04-12-09, 02:59 PM
RFC

One thing I don't get is seat height. For me to only have 3-4" of seat tube and still have good leg extension, when standing, the top tube would be well beyond my soft tissue and bumping up against bone.
Old 04-12-09, 03:22 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
One thing I don't get is seat height. For me to only have 3-4" of seat tube and still have good leg extension, when standing, the top tube would be well beyond my soft tissue and bumping up against bone.
Bob,
Top tube is more significant than seat tube in determining proper fit.

One usually doesn't stand flat footed when riding a bike, or have the bike straight up and down when stopped.

From looking at the way you have your bikes set up, you could probably greatly benefit from a custom build. Not everyone can comfortably ride 'off the shelf'.
Old 04-12-09, 03:28 PM
RFC

You are probably right, but this issue is not specific to me. Everyones' legs run from the ground to their crotch. Bottom bracket is x cm from the ground. Seat height should also be about x cm if the TT is up to bone. Now, I do prefer my leg extension to just short of the knee break. That's probably a result of years of distance running.
Old 04-12-09, 03:33 PM
ricgre
Falcon Chaser

Bikes: Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Falcon, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Triumph.

Old 04-12-09, 03:43 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
You are probably right, but this issue is not specific to me. Everyones' legs run from the ground to their crotch. Bottom bracket is x cm from the ground. Seat height should also be about x cm if the TT is up to bone. Now, I do prefer my leg extension to just short of the knee break. That's probably a result of years of distance running.
Bob,
Bottom bracket heights can vary widely, for example a 54 cm seat tube could differ in 'standover height' by as much as a couple of centimeters.
Old 04-12-09, 03:48 PM
RFC

I understand, but a couple of cm's accounts for less than an inch. The point is, are people getting proper leg extension with seats at this height?
Old 04-12-09, 04:01 PM
steppinthefunk 
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
I understand, but a couple of cm's accounts for less than an inch. The point is, are people getting proper leg extension with seats at this height?
Both my Raleigh and Falcon are about one size larger then my theoretical fit. But I just measured the seat height from seatclamp on my Cilo to compare with the Falcon and the heights are within .5 inches of eachother. One thing to take into account is that the butchered Brooks B17 has very deep rails which calls for less exposed seat tube.

My theoretical fit is probably a 50cm but I wouldn't hesitate to go up to a 54cm frame if I knew I was going to be using swept back bars like the Lauterwassers. Stand over height might become an issue but I'm not worried about it.

Last edited by steppinthefunk; 04-12-09 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 05:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
I rode this yesterday with a friend who was on a 1940 Stoddard Clubman, 3-speed with a quadrant shifter and Lauterwasser bars. I'm afraid I didn't get a pic. It was a cool-looking bike, but he was working real hard to climb any sort of hill.

Neal
Old 04-12-09, 05:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
You get proper leg extension based on how high you set your saddle relative to the pedal at full extension, and with proper knee angle. If the top tube is lower, you have a short head tube and can't get your 'bars near saddle height, assuming that's what one wants. To get the bars near the saddle with a standard stem (such as a Cinelli 1A), the top tube comes up to as you say near the bone, while standing. Then the seatpost will be exposed about a fistful or so.

If this is combined with a laid back seat tube and a deep BB drop, such as the 8 cm you often see on DeRosa frames, the seat tube length could work out to 56 or 57 cm.
Old 04-12-09, 05:41 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not sure what is meant by"clubman/path racer." They're not remotely the same thing. As was recently discussed in another thread.
Old 04-12-09, 06:25 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Picchio Special
I'm not sure what is meant by"clubman/path racer." They're not remotely the same thing. As was recently discussed in another thread.
It was discussed to death, so no need to go into it again.
Old 04-12-09, 06:32 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Originally Posted by RFC
It was discussed to death, so no need to go into it again.
So let's get it right this time. Instead of just tossing terms out there and perpetuating the inaccuracies.
Old 04-12-09, 07:11 PM
RFC

Thanks, we should. There is a common, yet technically inaccurate usage of "Pathracer." I'm personally comfortable with the technically inaccurate common usage. However, if you are not, please provide us with a short, succinct technical definition for those who wish to be technically correct.
Old 04-12-09, 07:27 PM
Picchio Special

Originally Posted by RFC
Thanks, we should. There is a common, yet technically inaccurate usage of "Pathracer." I'm personally comfortable with the technically inaccurate common usage. However, if you are not, please provide us with a short, succinct technical definition for those who wish to be technically correct.
Sorry to be pedantic (I know I am), but I think that perpetuating the inaccurate terminology sows the seeds of confusion, as well as obfuscating the historical record.
A "path racer" is a (pure) track bike.
A "road/path" bike is one that could have been used for club runs and training, but also for track meets. It would always have had rear-facing dropouts. As such, it is a relatively small subset of "clubman" bikes. It would have had a higher bottom bracket and more relaxed angles than a "pure" track bike, as well as some common braze-ons. Seems the term you're looking for is "road/path," but with the understanding that this would always have involved the track dropouts - otherwise, the bike could not have passed inspection for competitive use on the track (whether paved or grass).
Old 04-12-09, 09:06 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by Picchio Special
Sorry to be pedantic (I know I am), but I think that perpetuating the inaccurate terminology sows the seeds of confusion, as well as obfuscating the historical record.
A "path racer" is a (pure) track bike.
A "road/path" bike is one that could have been used for club runs and training, but also for track meets. It would always have had rear-facing dropouts. As such, it is a relatively small subset of "clubman" bikes. It would have had a higher bottom bracket and more relaxed angles than a "pure" track bike, as well as some common braze-ons. Seems the term you're looking for is "road/path," but with the understanding that this would always have involved the track dropouts - otherwise, the bike could not have passed inspection for competitive use on the track (whether paved or grass).
Best definition I have seen yet. For general reference, I suggest that we might use the term "Clubman" to describe the road/path bikes and the replicas.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, I, too, am a know-it-all PITA. Welcome, or, as we say in our family, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me."
Old 04-12-09, 09:19 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Some observations- First off, I've seen old pictures where people are riding frames that are huge by modern standards, where they almost certainly couldn't stand over the bike- just have to dismount when stopping. And on some of those bikes, they used the seatpost/seat arrangement that shifts the seat forward, with seatpost at rear of the seat. So apparently, in the old days, at least some people had a lot different idea about proper bike fit than we do now. Secondly, I've got an Arpan bike which is presumably modeled on the Raleighs. It seems to have a higher bottom bracket but longer crank arms than my Ashtabula-crank bikes. Not sure if this is typical, or how this compares to modern road bikes, but that would affect the proper seat height vs standover and all.
Old 04-12-09, 09:20 PM
Devotion
Sensuous Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 04-13-09, 05:18 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
1949 Raleigh Clubman:

1950 Raleigh Clubman:

1951 Raleigh Clubman:

And required reading on the topic, Peter Kohler's article on the Raleigh Clubman.

Neal

Last edited by nlerner; 04-13-09 at 05:25 AM.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-13-09, 09:20 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I really like the old Raleigh bikes especially the Clubman types. Attached is a pic of my 1958 Raleigh Trent Sports which is similar to the older "Clubman" types but made with Raleigh's garden-variety tubes. I've swapped-out the AW3 gearset in the rear wheel with a FW4 gearset and added the 3/4 speed shifter. With the Brooks B72 and new Kenda tires, it really rides like a dream. The only drawback is that it uses the now rare 597bsd wheels. So sometime in the near future I'll have to consider changing to 590, 584 or 700c rims when these wearout. Until then I'll just enjoy it as is. PG.
Old 04-13-09, 09:22 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OOoooppppsss......here's the pic. PG.
Attached Images
367_4.jpg (67.3 KB, 446 views)
Likes For PolishGuy:
Old 04-13-09, 01:50 PM
apw55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late '40's Schwinn Continentals.

Regards,
Alan

P.S. Still look for an actual Schwinn Clubman
Attached Images
Continentals July 07.jpg (61.2 KB, 405 views)
Old 04-13-09, 02:27 PM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mock clubman/road/path etc:

Some serious saddle to bar drop there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.