Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One of those things that just happen

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

One of those things that just happen

Old 12-18-21, 10:17 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Second Update: By the end of week 1, I was back out riding - both gravel and road - or on the trainer almost daily. Two weeks ago, about five weeks in, my range of motion in my left leg, which had taken a deep thigh bruise, started a steady decline and the pain was back with a vengeance. By the end of the week, I couldn't complete a pedal stroke, even in a controlled environment like the trainer, and was taking stairs one step at a time.

Nice to live next door to a top notch orthopedic surgeon. Knocked on his door. Within about 5 minutes, he suggested that I might be experiencing the growth of some bone tissue inside my left quad. Apparently it's a thing and even has a fancy Latin name - myositis ossificans. X-rays at his office Monday confirmed the diagnosis.

Who knew?

Ultimately there may be a surgical remedy, but for now its just stretch and bear it.
And I have bone growing in my lungs! We need to get this bone growing thing stopped. My fancy name is dendriform pulmonary ossification.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 12-25-21, 12:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Yeah, but how's the bike?
Old 12-25-21, 07:26 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Bike is fine -phew!
Likes For tigat:
Old 01-11-22, 11:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Reminds me of an incident many years ago sans two wheels. I was an avid runner and cyclist but was out for a run in the late Fall when the sun was setting around 4:45. I was running a road I had run 100s of times before and knew the curbs and irregularities by memory. But I got a late start and dusk was transitioning to night and I could just make out the major features when suddenly my left foot hit an object in the road and down I went impacting my left knee and then completely hitting the asphalt. My knee fortunately was not broken but severely bruised. I limped the mile and a half home, unable to run. It took about 3 months before the bruising and swelling receded enough to start running again.

I did go back after that incident the next day to see a truck had lost a piece of broken asphalt curbing.

Old 01-21-22, 08:47 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. Good vibes your way!
Old 03-26-22, 07:19 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

One (More) of Those Things That Just Happen

Good News. Somewhat inexplicably, a few weeks after the X-rays confirmed bone growth in the middle of my quad (myositis ossificans), I started regaining range of motion and the pain subsided. Managed a full season of coaching Special Olympics ski racing and was able to keep a planned appointment to ski with some high school friends in Utah in early March. One of them was a teammate on my 1974 State Championship team, and he can still turn them both ways. Between my empty sleeve flapping around and the two of us ripping pretty impressive carves on the steeps, it was a bit of a throwback moment to our annual western swings 45 years ago. At 65, I must admit, it felt pretty good to to have people stop just to watch and approach us in the lift lines to say wow, the same as it was 4 decades ago.

Bad News. The unexpected healing of my thigh apparently was a bit of a Karmic setup. Either that, or the pridefullness displayed above was destined to come back and bite me in the behind. Skiing powder on the last day, I sunk a pole plant in a steep section of trees. My arm ripped back, and I felt a pop. Didn't fall, but hung it up five runs later with some serious pain and lack of movement. Although it took a bit to pin down the diagnosis, largely because my one arm has recruited muscles all over the place and functionally it is still working for the most part, when my bicep rode up toward my shoulder and then tumbled off to the side and took on all of the attributes of belly fat, we ordered an MRI. Reattachment surgery for my severed distal bicep tendon next week.

Welcome to the rehab rodeo, again.
Old 03-26-22, 08:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Good News. Somewhat inexplicably, a few weeks after the X-rays confirmed bone growth in the middle of my quad (myositis ossificans), I started regaining range of motion and the pain subsided. Managed a full season of coaching Special Olympics ski racing and was able to keep a planned appointment to ski with some high school friends in Utah in early March. One of them was a teammate on my 1974 State Championship team, and he can still turn them both ways. Between my empty sleeve flapping around and the two of us ripping pretty impressive carves on the steeps, it was a bit of a throwback moment to our annual western swings 45 years ago. At 65, I must admit, it felt pretty good to to have people stop just to watch and approach us in the lift lines to say wow, the same as it was 4 decades ago.

Bad News. The unexpected healing of my thigh apparently was a bit of a Karmic setup. Either that, or the pridefullness displayed above was destined to come back and bite me in the behind. Skiing powder on the last day, I sunk a pole plant in a steep section of trees. My arm ripped back, and I felt a pop. Didn't fall, but hung it up five runs later with some serious pain and lack of movement. Although it took a bit to pin down the diagnosis, largely because my one arm has recruited muscles all over the place and functionally it is still working for the most part, when my bicep rode up toward my shoulder and then tumbled off to the side and took on all of the attributes of belly fat, we ordered an MRI. Reattachment surgery for my severed distal bicep tendon next week.

Welcome to the rehab rodeo, again.
Sorry to read this. Heal fast.
Old 03-26-22, 08:48 AM
tigat

Thanks, John.
Likes For tigat:
Old 03-27-22, 05:34 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Somehow a lone cobblestone found its way onto the paved MUT I have ridden 1000 times. Commuting home from work in the late afternoon shadows, I was clever enough to find it and clear it from the trail - shortly after it bounced me into a hard crash and a 5 hour visit to the ER. No one to blame but myself.

Wave cell helmet is toast, but it worked. Major bruise on my left temple but no TBI. Assortment of other bruises that are going to take a bit to resolve.

My friends are sending me pictures of e-trikes. Maybe they have a point.
As a recent crash victim, I'm hoping for the best for you!