Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The thousand dollar challenge!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-17-08, 09:55 PM
Sponge1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I just sold my MTB, and have $1,000 to spend on building an all-purpose bike for commuting, cruising, and some light off-road.

So far, I'm thinking steel and internal hub for durability and ease of use.

Frame: Surly Crosscheck or Karate Monkey (My favorite)

I'll have to have it built, so figure $50-$150 for the LBS to build it for me!

I'd like to run disk brakes, but not totally firm on it.

What would YOU do?
Old 03-17-08, 10:44 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cross check with a nexus 8 makes for an awesome commuter. I've had both the cc and the km and I prefer the cc. It feels more nimble on the road, and it is easier to put fenders on.

The only downside to the cc is that you can't run disk brakes.
Check out this recent thread for a cool example of a cross check:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=397912

Harris cyclery has wheels built up with the nexus hub for $300, last I checked.
Old 03-17-08, 11:12 PM
xiaodidi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=397912

Yes, leather and mahogany are great for off road.

Internal hub... there goes half your budget.

Craigslist would be a good place to start with those lofty goals.
Old 03-17-08, 11:25 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your're waaaay over budget on that bike at $1K. Trust me, it's mine. It's a sign that I' not married that I spent that on a bike.

The complete cross check is $900 and you'll spend $200 out of the gate on it for necessities.

Look for a complete bike in your budget that doesn't need upgrades. If I had to do it all over again I'd seriously consider the raleigh detour deluxe. The geometry is a bit relaxed but your're a commuter, not a roadie. That bike is an amazing value at a hair over $700. You can get the raleigh Sojourn just slightly over your budget but you are short a lighting system. With a decent lighting system that bike is at $1300. Kinda depends how wide your pupils can open.

Everyone will argue, but I think internal hubs are over rated if you are on a budget. I wish I hadn't spent $350 on my rear wheel. generator front is much more useful

Edited to add:
How far is your commute? Hills? How bad is traffic? What is the range of weather? Give some commute details.

Last edited by Jeffbeerman2; 03-17-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 11:30 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Key word "example". Obviously the OP isn't getting custom wood fenders with an $1000 budget.

Going the internal gear hub route isn't really that expensive, you can get the nexus hub for $160 and the shifter for $10 online. You could easily pay that much for a hub, cassette and derailleur. I agree though, it may be tough to keep it under $1000.

Another option is to buy a bianchi san jose and swap out the rear wheel for a nexus. They did it over at Harris Cyclery:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/b...os8/index.html
That would be cheaper.
Old 03-17-08, 11:54 PM
Sponge1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the input so far!

My commute is roughly 20 miles each way. I live in Phoenix, so no big hills to speak of, just psycho drivers! =)

I plan to commute only once a week to start with, then add more days as I get stronger and better at it. I would like to be able to do the occasional weekend touring ride, no more than 100 mi., and of course cruise the neighborhoods with my kiddos.

If I stick to derailers, what would be a simple and effective setup? I was thinking Shimano 105 series for cost/weight/performance ratio. I like the idea of drop bars w/ shorty brake levers, but I'm not sure if that's even possible with disks.

Keep firing away guys! I need your expertise!
Old 03-18-08, 12:10 AM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cross levers are cheap and I'm sure they would work with discs. there are road-specific disc brakes too.

The wooden fenders and leather bar tape only add about $100 to my bike over what plastic fenders and cork tape would. It's all cosmetic.

The price of the internal geared wheel does vary wildly. There is a local shop here that has a pair of 700c wheels for $300, which is less than what I paid a different shop to build my rear one. Front is generator and rear is Nexus 8. If you bought a $600 Surly frame you would still be over $1000 easily.

Derailleurs work pretty well.

You might seriously consider looking for a used touring bike considering your commute distance. I'd want a touring bike or a cyclocross bike for your goal, and all of them are over $1000 new, once you outfit them for commuting with lights, rack, fenders, etc.
Old 03-18-08, 12:27 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sponge1
Thanks all for the input so far!

My commute is roughly 20 miles each way. I live in Phoenix, so no big hills to speak of, just psycho drivers! =)

I plan to commute only once a week to start with, then add more days as I get stronger and better at it. I would like to be able to do the occasional weekend touring ride, no more than 100 mi., and of course cruise the neighborhoods with my kiddos.

If I stick to derailers, what would be a simple and effective setup? I was thinking Shimano 105 series for cost/weight/performance ratio. I like the idea of drop bars w/ shorty brake levers, but I'm not sure if that's even possible with disks.

Keep firing away guys! I need your expertise!
For keeping near the $1K mark, go with the Cross Check complete. Spend the money for a rear rack, a rack trunk, lights, and if you're really stuck on the disc brake idea then save up and swap the X-check fork for a CX disc brake fork as an upgrade in the future.
I'm putting in the mileage that you're planning on (30-40 daily) on a X-check complete and I do lots of hills: here's my list of modifications.
- Trans-It rear rack ($12 on sale at Performance)
- Nashbar front 6-packer rack ($7, Bike Nashbar)
- PB Superflash ($20, anyplace)
- Nashbar Elite rack trunk ($25 on sale, Bike Nashbar)
- SKS P-45 fenders (LBS, $30)
- Kool Stop salmon brake pads (LBS, $16 for both pairs)
- 34t chainring and 11-32 cassette (Bikeman; $60 for both)

Last edited by CliftonGK1; 03-18-08 at 12:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-18-08, 12:44 AM
look555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are commuting 20 miles a day you primary focus should be on the road aspect. there is a few possibilites to get, light off road, gravel, maybe a single track. the kona dew delux has hayes hydro disc, 700cc tires, steel fork would make for great multi purpose bike that commutes just fine
Old 03-18-08, 12:55 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Shimano Alfine hub is a great internal hub for disc brakes. It can be had here as a complete set up for a great price. Assuming you are outside of the EU the price will be even lower as you won't have to pay 17% VAT.

https://bike-components.de/catalog/Hu...283c1c5ecda6f7
Old 03-18-08, 06:34 AM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 18 miles each way on a single speed Crosscheck. I do it every day. It is an awesome bike, and if you go single speed you can really tone down the costs:

Frame: $400
BB: Truvativ $15
Cranks: Sugino $64
Salsa Ring: $15
Headset: FSA Pig $20
Wheels: Many ways about it under $200 including cog/freewheel
seatpost: $15 (take yer pick)
Stem: ditto
Handlebars: Flat or mountain $20 for a good pair
Levers: Either Cheap avids or Tektro roads for around $25
Brakes: Tekro Oryx $30 for both
Tires and tubes: Panaracer tires $40 for both, Forte tubes for $10 for both
Saddle: Splurge for a Brooks at $60 from IRO

You're at $929 which isn't bad, and everything you bought is super quality. There are cheaper ways of doing it, too...finding cheap posts, stems and bars at your LBS...using Craigslist to score deals.

The wheels I estimated high. You can get a quality wheelset all in for at least $20-$50 cheaper than that brand spanking new!

Good luck, eh.
Old 03-18-08, 06:47 AM
Rednow01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Crosscheck as my primary commuter (25 RT). I purchased the CC as a complete thinking I'd swap out parts when they wore out/broke. This hasn't happened yet. The only things I have changed are the break pads, bar tape and upgraded to Conti Gatorskins. This bike is tough and rides great. Since buying this bike I have had some bike snob friends that have started ordering them for their commutes.
Old 03-18-08, 06:54 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Lots of people are suggesting Nexus/Alfine hubs and disc breaks. Allow me to present a simple equation.

Bike budget - (Alfine hub + Disc breaks) = over budget.

Clifton and climbhoser at least posted with sensitivity to the desired budget.
Old 03-18-08, 06:58 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Have you given thought to used? If you can find a good quality used bike, you'll be able to spend the extra budget money on a nice Brooks saddle and a nice wheelset. Then you'll be set.

Wheels are where most manufacturers cut corners to get the price down under $1,000. If you could find a used bike (cyclocross or other suitable road) for $500 or less, and then spend the remaining on something like Open Pros laced to 105 (or better!) hubs, you'll be doing very well.
Old 03-18-08, 07:07 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
What size frame do you need? I have a super nice Fuji Cross Pro frame. That'll get you your frame, fork, headset, and brakes.
Old 03-18-08, 07:40 AM
pinkpowa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the same $1000 challenge. ~$1200 and counting...and the bike still isn't done. I failed.

Luckily my wife was ok with a little push on the bike budget for the positive effect it's having on our expenses and my fitness in general. Whooo Hooo!
Old 03-18-08, 08:14 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I also built an internal geared road bike w/ a nexus 8. I road it for a couple of thousand miles and while it was fun, I found that I preferred a geared bike for my commute (15mi each way and some large hills). I built up a 1x9 steel framed commuter to replace it. Contrary to what many people say on this board, I find I have virtually no matinence issues w/ derailleur equipped bikes. I run my shifters in friction mode and Shimano drivetrane component are plentiful, cheap and reliable. Like Jeffbeerman, I found chaning flats on the rear tire on the Nexus a pain. If I were the OP, I would look for a used bike on ebay/CL and use the extra money on upgrades. I got a 2007 SOMA Double Cross (Which I now use as my commuter) on ebay complete with Ultegra 9 speed, ready to go and shipped for $600. Deals are out there if you are willing to look. Spend some time test riding bikes locally to get a feel for what you actually want/need.
Old 03-18-08, 09:03 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banzai
Lots of people are suggesting Nexus/Alfine hubs and disc breaks. Allow me to present a simple equation.

Bike budget - (Alfine hub + Disc breaks) = over budget.

Clifton and climbhoser at least posted with sensitivity to the desired budget.
The Alfine hub complex can be had for around $200. That's not over budget when you factor the cost of a rear hub, cassette, and shifters.
Old 03-18-08, 09:12 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by Ziemas
The Alfine hub complex can be had for around $200. That's not over budget when you factor the cost of a rear hub, cassette, and shifters.
That's not bad.

It also occurred to me after the fact that the OP suggested an internal hub himself, so bad on me for chiding everyone for attempting to run him overbudget.

As a tech geek, I think that IDEA of an internal hub is really neat. I'm not sold yet on the application in everyday life...which is why I don't have one. A derailer system isn't so complex, nor difficult to maintain.

And I know it's been hashed over before, but I prefer the interface options with derailer systems. Internal hubs for a while only had those twist shifters, and now with Alfine I guess have a trigger shifter. I love road style brifters (yes, I am a member of the Dark Side) but after that downtube shifters are my next favorite...neither of which are available for an internal hub.
Old 03-18-08, 09:24 AM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Going used can be a good way to go, but can depend a lot on luck. Check the link in my sig for information on my Nexus hub equip commuter. I love it. I bought a 1984 Trek 720 and put the Nexus 8 hub on it. I have only had 1 flat so far and did not think it was much different from a derailer bike as far as changing the flat. I commute on mine 4 to 5 days a week. 11-12 miles one way.

Having done the commute on both my bikes, one has the nexus hub, the other is a standard 9 speed rear with a triple up front, I can honestly say there is no real advantage or disadvantage of a nexus hub in Arizona. It is neat and low maintenance, but it is also heavier. The derailer requires a bit more maintenance, but it is easy to do, light weight and common parts. I don't think you would be going wrong with either. Like many things it is about preference.

I also find that it rains so little in Phoenix and Tucson, that fenders are not absolutely needed. If you are planning on raiding even when it does rain, then get some fenders. I do plan on getting fenders for my commuter but just have not done so yet (after 3 years of commuting)

I recommend you try to find a good local bike shop. If you are in or near Mesa, Paragon Cycles is Excellent. Ray (the owner) is a long time rider and commuter and can help.

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 03-18-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 09:46 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think in your case a complete bike is the way to go. It just seems silly to me, especially when you have a tight budget, to throw away $50 - $150 (your estimate) on a build-up. It's also an unfortunate fact in the bicycling world that component groups and individual parts are almost always way more expensive when bought without the bike. So, you're already losing money by buying the components outright, and then to pay for the build? Waste. Start with a solid pre-built bike and as you come into more money over time, upgrade from there. This way, you'll be able to get going right away with a bike that willl serve you very well for the time being, even if it's not your perfect "dream bike". Also, in the meantime, while you're upgrading, you can also learn how to turn a wrench while installing your new parts.

Another bonus (and you might not be concerned with this type of thing): you'll probably end up with extra parts, like an extra wheelset for example, that could be used during winter months (it's great to be able to swap wheelsets with different tires, depending on conditions).

I just know from experience: I built up a Cross Check for myself and it was a very expensive endeavor. The frame was even free (a car hit my old bike, driver's insurance bought my new frame).
Old 03-18-08, 10:03 AM
Sponge1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! One question, I see that Harris, Jensen, Bikestop, etc. all sell the Cross-Check complete, are they all the same build? If so, what are the weakest components they use? It looks like the wheels are pretty cheap, but not sure about the rest.

Can the Soma DC be purchased complete (new)? If so, what's the price on it?

I'm leaning towards buying a complete bike, hopefully new and upgrading from there over time...
Old 03-18-08, 10:04 AM
aubinmg

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out.
It's at https://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/city/metropolis.aspx and goes for about $1000 Cdn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
07-metropolis.jpg (45.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-18-08, 10:10 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sponge1
Thanks for all the input! One question, I see that Harris, Jensen, Bikestop, etc. all sell the Cross-Check complete, are they all the same build? If so, what are the weakest components they use? It looks like the wheels are pretty cheap, but not sure about the rest.

Can the Soma DC be purchased complete (new)? If so, what's the price on it?

I'm leaning towards buying a complete bike, hopefully new and upgrading from there over time...
The wheels are actually quite good. Alex DA-16 double wall trekking rims on Deore hubs. Straight 14ga spokes. I've got 750 miles of hard hilly commuting on mine, and they've held up great.

The Tektro Oryx brakes are the weakest part, IMO. I'm getting some Cane Creek SCX-5 canti's instead. At 235 pounds, and riding 500 miles a month, I beat on a bike pretty hard and the CC Complete isn't giving me any problems with the stock components. I'm only replacing the little ring and cassette with a wider span to better accommodate hill climbing.

Last edited by CliftonGK1; 03-18-08 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-18-08, 10:16 AM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go fixed

Once you try it there is no going back

train safe-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.