Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The 62 cm/26" LHT is a freakshow!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-29-10, 09:25 AM
johnce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man I really like the LHT,s but I saw the 62 cm with the 26" wheels the other night and that thing just looked odd to me.

Before ya smoke me on this one i'm sure it has a purpose and that everyone has an opinion I just thought it looked funny...

That is all.
Old 06-29-10, 09:58 AM
JeanM

Bikes: Surly LHT and Opus Urbano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if this is an occasion for us to learn to adapt? I mean, if it looks like a clown bicycle to us it could be only because we are accustomed to one look, not because it looks bad in itself. At the limit, it is our own lack of flexibility that is at fault.

It may just be that, if you look at these bikes for a while, and then consider the LHT 62x26, it will start to appear quite 'normal' to your eyes.
Old 06-29-10, 10:12 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree w/ johnce. I can certainly see the merits of the arguments in favor of 26" wheels, but I think the big frames w/ the 26" wheels look funny, too. I want to get the LHT in black, most likely the 56cm size, but w/ 700c wheels. I get frustrated when I try to cyber-daydream, b/c the only Blacktacular LHT pictured on their website is the 26" version, and the wheels just look too small...
Old 06-29-10, 10:36 AM
johnce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeanM
What if this is an occasion for us to learn to adapt? I mean, if it looks like a clown bicycle to us it could be only because we are accustomed to one look, not because it looks bad in itself. At the limit, it is our own lack of flexibility that is at fault.

It may just be that, if you look at these bikes for a while, and then consider the LHT 62x26, it will start to appear quite 'normal' to your eyes.
You know, you make a valid point....maybe it'll just take some gettin' use to.
Old 06-29-10, 11:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I post a lot in the Classic and Vintage forum, so I have an appreciation for classic lines &c, but I also post in the folding bikes forum, where I've learned the advantages of small wheels. On something like a touring bike, where utility trumps other concerns, I just can't see any need for wheels larger than 26" or, frankly, 20". For touring, especially, smaller wheels would allow a lower center of gravity, more space between the wheel and the seat, etc. The only reason I'd tour on a bike with wheels bigger than 20" is that I can't get one with small wheels!
Old 06-29-10, 11:38 AM
JeanM

Bikes: Surly LHT and Opus Urbano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnce
You know, you make a valid point....maybe it'll just take some gettin' use to.
Consider also that there really isn't that much difference in diameter between 26" wheels with fat wheels, say 2.00", and 700c with skinny ones, say 28c. Also, even before the 26" were available for large bikes I already was finding that large bikes were strangely proportioned.
Old 06-30-10, 08:19 AM
LHT in Madison

Bikes: 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2004 Surly LHT, 1961 Ideor, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think that any bike that had a top tube that was not horizontal looked funny. I worked in a bike shop in the 1970s and all bikes had a horizontal top tube unless they were ladies models. But, I eventually got used to non-horizontal top tubes once I started seeing a lot of compact frames. Things that you are not accustomed to seeing look odd and any bike with a really long head tube looks odd until you get used to it. Before I bought my Thorn Sherpa 610S frame and fork, I was concerned about how it would look with that steeply sloping top tube and really long head tube, but after riding it several hundred miles I decided that it looks just fine to me. And, when I am in the saddle, I really don't care what other people think it looks like.
Old 06-30-10, 09:39 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
Cyclist are no different than everyone else. We're all judgmental, narrow minded and more or less ..... dumb.

26" wheels serve their purpose. So do 20" or 24" . Check out these Bike Friday bikes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_Friday https://community.bikefriday.com/2010 Lon Haldeman rides a Bike Friday bike. Who's Lon Haldeman? Google him. Ultra Marathon Cycling pioneer and all around strongman of cycling. These "odd" bikes ride like a regular bike, yet pack in a suitcase.

The point is of course, don't knock it until you've tried it.
Old 06-30-10, 10:41 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As you go from 700c to 26, and then move into big frames, thing can start to look "odd" indeed.

A Rodriguez touring bike in 700c:

Same bike w/26-inch wheels; appears to be a bit bigger:

Now even larger frame, w/26-inch wheels:

They make very nice bikes, by the way -- I also chat w/their owners when I see them and invariably they have good things to say.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-30-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 01:03 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
>Man I really like the LHT,s but I saw the 62 cm with the 26" wheels the other night and that thing just looked odd to me.

Anyone got a photo of it?
Old 07-01-10, 01:43 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Surly page.

z
Old 07-01-10, 01:44 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Small wheels are better for touring even if they look funny ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/moulton...n/photostream/
Old 07-01-10, 08:47 AM
Garthr

62cm. 26" wheels LHT from Hiawatha Cyclery on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hiawath...ry/4349848937/
Old 07-01-10, 10:51 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Rod on Tour.

Rod Cycle (compact touring frame SNS 26in wheels) vs the 25 in C-dale 700c wheels

+ Mexico No Habla 700c
+ Easier to stuff in various cars, cases, and flys free on SWA.
+ Trail Capable
+ Converts to Dad size with ease
+ Coversation Starter
+ DT shifter mount points just in case.

+/- Flexier. But c-dale t-series bikes are just stupid stiff

- Classic geometry 25 inchers are much more comphy. I call it a 9 hour bike vs a 14 hour bike.

Last edited by escii_35; 07-01-10 at 11:12 AM. Reason: flex
Old 07-01-10, 10:55 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by escii_35
My Rod on Tour.
Nice bike! I saw one Rodriguez 26-incher on the way to work yesterday, two today. Owners always are very happy with them.
Old 07-01-10, 02:44 PM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
I agree w/ johnce. I can certainly see the merits of the arguments in favor of 26" wheels, but I think the big frames w/ the 26" wheels look funny, too. I want to get the LHT in black, most likely the 56cm size, but w/ 700c wheels. I get frustrated when I try to cyber-daydream, b/c the only Blacktacular LHT pictured on their website is the 26" version, and the wheels just look too small...
I have a 56 /26 LHT and it doesn't look odd in my opinion. I had it powdercoated twice...long story. This is the first color, too bad it pretty much fell off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0112001159a[1]..jpg (97.3 KB, 79 views)
downsized_0405001&#.jpg (77.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 07-01-10, 03:50 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, this is one of those "looks funny until you get used to it" things.
Old 07-01-10, 05:06 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you saying my ride looks funny?
Attached Images
IMG_0521..jpg (64.2 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by badamsjr; 07-01-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 09:45 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
the high stem adds to the oddness of the look. horses for courses, and all that, though.

I ride a 66cm bike, though, so imagine a custom one of those puppies with some 26" wheels!
Old 07-02-10, 10:24 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
I have a 56 /26 LHT and it doesn't look odd in my opinion. I had it powdercoated twice...long story. This is the first color, too bad it pretty much fell off
Thanks for posting that. Very nice bike! That doesn't look bad at all. Maybe the image on the Surly site is one of the bigger framesets w/ the 26" wheels, or maybe it just looks funny on the website, since it's w/o fenders, racks, etc., and the more I ride w/ my rack and fenders, the more I come to think that bikes w/o those two items look odd generally, regardless of size of wheels.

You helped change my mind, at least on the 56/26 LHTs... Great, now when I finally am able to pull the trigger on one, I'm gonna have to try to decide between a 700 and a 26! And here I thought I had it all figured out...
Old 07-02-10, 10:34 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

You want freak show!... Here is my 20" wheel Bike Friday New World Tourist...58cm TT and tiny wheels....great touring bike!...

...vs. my 58cm 700c LHT.

I happily ride both bikes...no big deal really.
Old 07-02-10, 01:58 PM
Garthr

I'm thinking those Bike Friday Bikes are fun to ride ! They even make ones for us tall people with long TT's. I'd spec it with Albatross bars. For touring though .... I don't know if the chainstays are long enough for size 15 feet and 185mm cranks and bags.
Old 07-02-10, 02:58 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
I'm thinking those Bike Friday Bikes are fun to ride ! They even make ones for us tall people with long TT's. I'd spec it with Albatross bars. For touring though .... I don't know if the chainstays are long enough for size 15 feet and 185mm cranks and bags.
my $.02 is to not bother with rear panniers for 20" folders and configure the lowest mounted rear rack so that all the gear piles up vertically to the seat tube then put panniers on the front and a duffle on the front of the steerer tube. I don't think it makes sense to hang weight far aft if the chainstays aren't long enough. It takes some searching around but you can put together a rear rack that sits a couple inches above the tire with room for a fender and that way all the gear is between your heel strike radius.
Old 07-02-10, 03:09 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
my $.02 is to not bother with rear panniers for 20" folders and configure the lowest mounted rear rack so that all the gear piles up vertically to the seat tube then put panniers on the front and a duffle on the front of the steerer tube. I don't think it makes sense to hang weight far aft if the chainstays aren't long enough. It takes some searching around but you can put together a rear rack that sits a couple inches above the tire with room for a fender and that way all the gear is between your heel strike radius.
Old 07-02-10, 03:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My Twenty and I are going to be putting down 500 km over the next week... am working on designing a mini velo with 45cm rear stays (minimal) and a seperable frame instead of a folding one to make it a very portable travel bike with full on touring capabilities.

My old Twenty has 37cm rear stays and my touring bags do not cause issues as they sit back just far anough and are angled so heel strikes are not an issue... the space between the rack and fender is where I stow my squall gear and pump. It rides as nice as my full sized touring bike which has 26 inch wheels and if I had mounted the front rack could carry the same gear. The advantages to smaller wheels are many... a 36 spoke 406 is as strong as a 48 spoke 622 and modern 20 inch wheels and tyres impart a great ride quality and are capable of great speed.

Bike Friday has done an amazing design job as they have built a great riding bike that also folds whereas may folders are designed with a focus on foldability without as much attention to how they ride.

If I did not have the ability to design and resources to build a compact tourer I'd consider buying a BF... packability and rideability is more important to me than a quick fold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.