Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carrying pouch with tools.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 03:57 PM
Funkywheels63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Hello all, just purchased a pouch which included tools and a pump on Amazon for all of $12.99. In case anyone is interested. It even comes with a multi tool that has a chain breaker. Here’s a pic. of the item.
Likes For Funkywheels63:
Old 11-09-21, 05:17 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I have one almost identical but I have a couple of CO2 cylinders and a filler. What looks like a battery powered pump is interesting.
Old 11-09-21, 06:43 PM
Funkywheels63

it's a manual pump.
Old 11-09-21, 07:32 PM
RingSteel

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks interesting.
Can you share the amazon link, or the tool pouch description ?
Old 11-10-21, 07:12 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I hope I am wrong but at that price point unless mistaken pricing by Amazon that has got to be a poor quality tool kit. I suspect the pump might work somewhat to low pressures (looks like you got some ball inflation needles?) and the tools, especially the chain breaker will be marginal at best. I don't know anybody who carries around master link pliers.
Old 11-10-21, 07:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I use Pedro's tire levers, not the more flexy generics. The shown multi-tool is a Chinese product that can be purchased for about $8.50 on AliExpress. It's useful enough, and does have a chain breaker. The pump appears to be Schrader-only, we all have our preferences for frame or pocket-carried pumps. For patch kits, Rema is the premium one. Master-link pliers are only useful if you bike has a master link.

As another said, I've not had occasion to open a master link while on the road. Being able to add a master link could be helpful, as in the case of a mountain bike crash where the rear derailleur gets smashed, so needs to be eliminated from your drivetrain to permit you to limp home.

So, overall, this covers the bases for you.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 11-10-21 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-10-21, 08:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have had a cheap chain-breaker break while trying to remove a damaged link .... and there are quick-link pliers which are also very sturdy tire levers.

As for the rest .... the trouble with cheap tools is that they are sometimes weaker than the nuts, bolts, and screws to which you might apply them. I tried some cheap multi-tools (including the one with the broken chain-breaker) and most of them are of limited effectiveness.

As @easyupbug mentions, the pump might not meet your needs. A lot of even good mini-pumps won't get a tire up to actual road-tire riding pressures .... and almost all bike tubes have presta valves. I have tried a bunch of mini-pumps, and if you shop carefully, you can get a really good pump for about $25---a pump with a hose which means less valve breakage and greater ease of use.

A patch kit might be handy but I prefer to carry spare tubes. Sometimes it is really hard to find the hole in a tube, and too often I have gotten flats in areas where playing around with patching a tube would be too much trouble---low light, rain, standing on a hillside in knee-deep grass with cars blasting by a 55 mph just on the other side of the guardrail .... or the other side of a two-foot -wide shoulder ..... It is tough enough searching the tire for the cause of the flat .... trying to find the hole and do the whole patching process ... I do that at home.

Some folks have had luck with glueless patches. Park Tools supposedly makes the best. I have used Slime Scabs with mixed results.

All that said .... if what you got works for you, there you are. If it meets your needs then it was an excellent purchase.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-10-21, 08:37 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Should be this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FZ89T3K/
Old 11-10-21, 08:47 AM
Funkywheels63

Originally Posted by BikeLite
you beat me to it. I figure it's better to have something than nothing. years ago, when I was riding, kept a small pouch similar to this. only had a few patches and a few tools. never had to use it. eventually ended throwing it out because I never thought I would be cycling again. hopefully will never have a need for it.

Last edited by Funkywheels63; 11-10-21 at 08:59 AM. Reason: more info. added
Old 11-11-21, 12:50 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Poor quality tire levers that break when you try to remove a tire in order to repair or replace a tube, are NOT better than nothing. I've seen cheap tire levers that either bent to the point of being useless or broke when used and would have left the bicyclist stranded had not someone with quality tools stopped to help.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-11-21, 04:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
The thing with mini multi-tools is that the high quality ones are not that expensive in the overall scheme of things. Like £20 buys you a really nice compact comprehensive multi-tool with chain breaker and tyre lever.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...40-MINI-20-PRO

Cheap mini-pumps are usually pretty useless too. Although there are a few exceptions. Lifeline (Wiggle/Chain Reaction's own budget brand) make a £20 pump (often £10 in sales) that actually works reasonably well, although it takes a lot of pumping to get to a rideable pressure.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This pump for £60 is in a different league and will last for decades:-

https://silca.cc/collections/frame-p...tico-mini-pump

So while that adds up to a lot more than $12.99 it's not exactly a fortune and you will have full confidence in actually getting the job done when you are stuck at the side of the road/trail. Plus these are basically one-off lifetime purchases.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-11-21, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Cheap tools are false economy.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-11-21, 08:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Funkywheels63
Hello all, just purchased a pouch which included tools and a pump on Amazon for all of $12.99. In case anyone is interested. It even comes with a multi tool that has a chain breaker. Here’s a pic. of the item.
nice here's hoping you never need them, right?
Old 11-11-21, 09:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I use Pedro's tire levers, not the more flexy generics.
In '20 I bought about 80 pairs of the variety color Pedro's tire levers(for a group). Man those have been disappointing compared to the basic blue plastic Park Tool levers.
The Pedro levers are flat and dont easily dig into and under the tire bead. And the wider head of the lever means there is less slack to get started on tight tires.
I really want to like them since they are very solid and have a wider base.

Old 11-11-21, 09:05 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Is there room for a spare innertube?
Old 11-11-21, 09:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have had a cheap chain-breaker break while trying to remove a damaged link .... .
The last time that I broke a chain while on the trail I discovered my Park chain breaker had lost it's pin. I lowered my saddle and "flintstoned" four miles back to my car.
Old 11-11-21, 09:20 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I lowered my saddle and "flintstoned" four miles back to my car.
That's very funny, and a perfect description.

If these tools are crap (and how can they not be for $13?) The OP will discover that fact on the side of the road. As to whether it's "better than nothing," I'd say it's not. When you have no tools, you know where you stand. When you have crummy tools, you'll have an false sense of security.

But best of luck, I hope I'm mistaken.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 11-11-21, 10:13 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
In '20 I bought about 80 pairs of the variety color Pedro's tire levers(for a group). Man those have been disappointing compared to the basic blue plastic Park Tool levers.
The Pedro levers are flat and dont easily dig into and under the tire bead. And the wider head of the lever means there is less slack to get started on tight tires.
I really want to like them since they are very solid and have a wider base.
I started with Pedro's levers, and feel the same way about them that you do. The ones I carry on my bike now are sold under the Schwalbe name, and I really like them. I suspect that they are not ultimately as strong as the Pedro's levers, but they work fine for the combination of wheels and tires that I'm running.
Old 11-11-21, 12:01 PM
Funkywheels63

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Poor quality tire levers that break when you try to remove a tire in order to repair or replace a tube, are NOT better than nothing. I've seen cheap tire levers that either bent to the point of being useless or broke when used and would have left the bicyclist stranded had not someone with quality tools stopped to help.

Cheers
base on your comments I believe you are right. will purchase metal tire levers to replace the plastic stuff. I just assume that bicycle tires aren't as tough as motorcycle tires. I change the tires on my motorcycle, and those levers are metal.
Old 11-11-21, 12:04 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
will purchase metal tire levers to replace the plastic stuff.
You don't necessarily have to go to metal levers. Good plastic levers can work just fine.
Old 11-11-21, 12:06 PM
Funkywheels63

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Is there room for a spare innertube?
nope. all the stuff that's included, no space, unless you remove a couple of the items.
Old 11-11-21, 12:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
base on your comments I believe you are right. will purchase metal tire levers to replace the plastic stuff. I just assume that bicycle tires aren't as tough as motorcycle tires. I change the tires on my motorcycle, and those levers are metal.
As another poster has said, you don't need metal tire levers. Quality tire plastic levers such as Park, Pedros or VAR are quite sufficient for most bicycle tires.

I'd figure out a way to carry a spare tube as many times a hole in a tube is so small that it's nearly impossible to find it when trying to repair a tube at the side of the road. Also easier to put a new tube in the tire than repair a tube when it's raining.

A cotton ball is a great addition to a tire patch kit. Use the cotton ball to sweep along the inside of the tire before putting in a patched or new tube. The cotton ball will snag on anything protruding into the tire and will save your finger or thumb.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-11-21, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'd figure out a way to carry a spare tube as many times a hole in a tube is so small that it's nearly impossible to find it when trying to repair a tube at the side of the road. Also easier to put a new tube in the tire than repair a tube when it's raining.
+1. The last time I got a flat on tour the hole was so small the tire did not lose enough air for me to notice until I woke up the next morning. And the hole was so small I had to immerse the tube in a puddle of water at my campsite (It had poured the previous afternoon.) in order to find it. I had spare tubes, but I wanted to find the hole so I could check the tire, which turned out to contain a tiny wire fragment.

Also, sometimes a hole can be too large to patch.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-21, 08:59 PM
Funkywheels63

I just got a pannier bag which I can put extra stuff in.
Likes For Funkywheels63:
Old 11-12-21, 11:05 AM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
I carry a first aid kit that has the basics. You just never know when it will come in handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.