Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Alu Pista?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pinarello Alu Pista?

Old 12-24-21, 10:26 PM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Pinarello Alu Pista?

Has anyone ever heard of or ridden a Pinarello Pista? I’m considering buying this one:

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...lo-alu-pista-l

Ordinarily I wouldn’t buy from Pro’s Closet bc they’re expensive AF, but I bought another bike with the intent to flip, and am having a hard time getting rid of it and they made a decent trade in offer.

and I’ve been wanting a SS / fixed gear for a loooong time.

Anyway, is that bike worth a crap, or is it just overhyped bc it says “Pinarello” on the side? Looks like it has a Sugino crankset and some pretty meh wheels.

thanks!
Old 12-25-21, 02:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's a nice triple butted frame. Not sure if it's actually hand made in Italy or if they're outsourcing to the Chinese Communist Party like everyone else. If they are then you're just paying for the name. The lack of brake mounts and a bottle cage mount is a no go for me, worthless on the road unless you're into the whole city boy fixie short distance flat spot my rear tire to stop deal.
Old 12-25-21, 09:33 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Did you notice that it's "pre-owned" ? Definitely overpriced IMO. And as @Lazyass said, no provision for a front brake is a definite deal killer for me.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-25-21, 09:37 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Did you notice that it's "pre-owned" ? Definitely overpriced IMO. And as @Lazyass said, no provision for a front brake is a definite deal killer for me.
yea I noticed both the pre-owned note and the lack of brake hole. Could put another fork on it relatively easily, but there’s more expense.

we’ll see if I can sell my other bike on FB and then I’ll have cash which would be much preferred.
Old 12-25-21, 12:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
A nothing really special slightly generic-ish used bike for that much, would put much towards it. If it is vintage Pinarello or better yet something that Big Mig actually rode than I might be more interested (aside from the fact that he is super tall and I couldn't fit on his bike). I would just keep my Langster or if I was really stuck on 'luminum and wanted something nice I would look at Low Bicycles, Andrew makes some really nice alyoominiyum frames in 'murica and I could probably get a brake hole in it.
Old 12-25-21, 12:24 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A nothing really special slightly generic-ish used bike for that much, would put much towards it. If it is vintage Pinarello or better yet something that Big Mig actually rode than I might be more interested (aside from the fact that he is super tall and I couldn't fit on his bike). I would just keep my Langster or if I was really stuck on 'luminum and wanted something nice I would look at Low Bicycles, Andrew makes some really nice alyoominiyum frames in 'murica and I could probably get a brake hole in it.
speaking of Langsters, there’s an S Works langster near me for $800 that I could prob get for $700 ish. I think it’s about an 07. Any experience on those?
Old 12-25-21, 12:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Nixhex
speaking of Langsters, there’s an S Works langster near me for $800 that I could prob get for $700 ish. I think it’s about an 07. Any experience on those?
I liked the regular one because it has brake mounts. I think the S-Works is brakeless and honestly not that exciting.
Old 12-25-21, 01:41 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I can only say that my '09 Langster cost me ~$725CDN BNIB out the door back in 2009. It's my favourite bike for solo rides.
My other SS is a Specialized Globe2 that doesn't have bottle mounts drilled but isn't a big deal (I wear a fanny/bottle pack) but brakelss would have been.....
Old 12-26-21, 07:18 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
For a starter bike for the velodrome you could certainly do worse, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to ride an aluminum frame with 23c tires and track geometry anywhere else. And I'd bet you dollars to donuts it's a Taiwanese frame, NTTAWWT.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-26-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 08:07 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Rolla
For a starter bike for the velodrome you could certainly do worse, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to ride an aluminum frame with 23c tires and track geometry anywhere else. And I'd bet you dollars to donuts it's a Taiwanese frame, NTTAWWT.
I don’t particularly mind 23c tires or track geo, but it would def be used for road riding; there isn’t a velodrome near me unfortunately. I just like SS….
Old 12-26-21, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

When you haven't tried wider tires, you don't mind 23s but when you go to 28s or wider you will appreciate them a lot more. Skinny tires especially on a aluminum are just not comfortable and one should not be uncomfortable to be slower and more prone to punctures. Go a little wider and go a little faster and run a little less pressure so less chance of flats and better rolling resistance. We are in the real world not in a simulation or in a wind tunnel or on super smooth velodromes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-27-21, 10:25 AM
Rolla

there isn’t a velodrome near me unfortunately. I just like SS….
Same here. That's why all of my singlespeeds have slacker geometry, wider tires, and steel frames.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-28-21, 03:02 AM
Lazyass

23's on an aluminum frame are fine unless you're pumping them up to 120 psi or something crazy or riding the cobblestones of France. They're light, responsive and feel good climbing and sprinting. For me there's more to tire selection than "comfort". And the difference in rolling resistance between various tire sizes has had no real measurable effect on my average speed.
Old 12-28-21, 10:46 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Lazyass
For me there's more to tire selection than "comfort".
Same here -- like traction, cornering confidence, and rim protection. But I'll take comfort, too.

the difference in rolling resistance between various tire sizes has had no real measurable effect on my average speed.
Another win for wider.
Old 12-28-21, 12:47 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Originally Posted by veganbikes
When you haven't tried wider tires, you don't mind 23s but when you go to 28s or wider you will appreciate them a lot more.
My Langster was my first SS. It came with 23s/aluminium frame. I thought it was comfortable until I got the Globe2 with 28s/steel frame.
The Globe2 is much more comfortable riding under similar conditons but is noticealbly slower....but maybe its just me and the different gear I ride in depending on the bike of choice.

23's on an aluminum frame are fine unless you're pumping them up to 120 psi
I started pumping 100psi on the Langster and while it feels "softer" its still a bit harsh. May have to try a pair of 25s.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 12-28-21, 12:55 PM
Nixhex

Honestly, I don't really care how comfortable it is, provided it's not utter agony to ride. I've ridden steel, carbon, and alum, (all with either 23 or 25s) and granted the aluminum is a bit harsher, but I've never really cared. I'm riding it for cardio, so I could ride any bike for the same effort and get the same training, but it's nice when that effort results in a higher speed, so speed is important.
Old 12-28-21, 05:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

You will appreciate being more comfortable, more time in the saddle, less jarred at the end more miles and more smiles : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-29-21, 02:09 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Rolla
Same here -- like traction, cornering confidence, and rim protection. But I'll take comfort, too.

Another win for wider.
Listen, man. I gave my opinion based on my experience. For instance, my Swobo Accomplice that came brand new with 42's and now has 23's. I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me and I don't have a problem with someone who has a different opinion. Matter of fact, I assume my opinion is the minority. Especially in the current big tire fad era.

Which is why you don't see me giving people smart ass replies like yours.
Old 12-29-21, 02:12 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Speedway2
My Langster was my first SS. It came with 23s/aluminium frame. I thought it was comfortable until I got the Globe2 with 28s/steel frame.
The Globe2 is much more comfortable riding under similar conditons but is noticealbly slower....but maybe its just me and the different gear I ride in depending on the bike of choice.

I started pumping 100psi on the Langster and while it feels "softer" its still a bit harsh. May have to try a pair of 25s.
I have my 23's at 75/85 psi. I'm fine even on my chipseal roads.
Old 12-29-21, 07:15 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I can't believe I'm generally agreeing with Lazyass about something but besides putting underfilled 23's on a bike meant for bigger rubber which is sort of like the opposite of the current popular trend about what's the widest tires can I shove in my track frame that's not meant for it - my own experience riding both big and small road tires tells me that if I want acceleration, sharp handling, and being able to feel what is going on under me, along with go-fast-like bike comfort...I'll take it thin too, but hard
My fatties "comfort" gives me slooow starts, vagueness, wandering, and roll-over - but they sure are cushy on the slow meandering cruises that are about all I can manage nowadays. And the couple times I pumped them up hard were disastrous.

Oh...and while the price on the OP's prospective used Pina is awfully close to original MSRP and we all know that it's not built in Italy - at least it is(or was) immediately available. In today's supply-challenged bike world that is a big thing. For someone into brakeless tarck, or "the scene" - I, for one, think it is a perfectly adequate bike so get to riding. Good luck...

Season's greetings everybody!

Last edited by IAmSam; 12-29-21 at 11:17 AM. Reason: ooops...
Old 12-29-21, 09:54 AM
Rolla

I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me and I don't have a problem with someone who has a different opinion.
Which is why you don't see me giving people smart ass replies like yours.
And the Congeniality award goes to...
Old 12-29-21, 11:22 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Oh...and while the price on the OP's prospective used Pina is awfully close to original MSRP and we all know that it's not built in Italy - at least it is(or was) immediately available. In today's supply-challenged bike world that is a big thing. For someone into brakeless tarck, or "the scene" - I, for one, think it is a perfectly adequate bike so get to riding. Good luck...
Just closing the loop here; for better or worse, I pulled the trigger on it. They had free shipping and I found a $100 off coup and I'm a sucker for a red bike. Gonna put some 23s on it at 120 psi and rattle my teeth out and like it.

And completely hypothetically speaking... I might have a 2016 Felt F1 with Campagnolo Super Record 11 that I'm trying to get rid of. Very hypothetical mind you.
Old 12-29-21, 11:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
I have my 23's at 75/85 psi. I'm fine even on my chipseal roads.
If it's not too personal a question, how much do you weigh ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-29-21, 11:36 AM
Speedway2

Nixhex....congrats!
Looking forward to some actual pics and your thoughts on the "new" bike.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 12-30-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Honestly, I don't really care how comfortable it is, provided it's not utter agony to ride. I've ridden steel, carbon, and alum, (all with either 23 or 25s) and granted the aluminum is a bit harsher, but I've never really cared. I'm riding it for cardio, so I could ride any bike for the same effort and get the same training, but it's nice when that effort results in a higher speed, so speed is important.
A smaller tire size has never really made me feel "uncomfortable". I read about people saying they get physically beat up and, I assume, feel pain and I just can't relate to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.