Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Fatbike or not ?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Fatbike or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 03:54 PM
Tiagra77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fatbike or not ?

Hello everyone. I hope everybody is doing fine. This winter will be the third winter that I use a bike all winter long for my transport. I live in the suburb of Montreal so a lot of snow is falling but there is a good clearing. However, the snow plow leaves a lot of sand and salt and destroys my bike. For that reason, I buy a really cheap and really used/rusty MTB for like 50$ in classified ads. Unfortunatly, these cheap bikes do not last long, especially the brakes stuck. I am afraid the bike I bought last year will not stand another winter long, eventough I made a good tune up now and few times during last winter. I live in an appartment and I don't have any garage, the bike is on a balcony not really protected from snow.

So my questions are, should I buy a fatbike ? I know it will be more confortable but how about the durability ? I have a strict budget of around 100$/year. Will a 1000$ fatbike last 10 years in these conditions ? Which one do you suggest me if so ? Or should I just buy a used ~80$ mountain bike almost every year like I did ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-21, 11:25 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I believe a more expensive bike will not significantly out last a cheap bike with the conditions you are describing. A $1,000 fat bike is still vulnerable to the abuses of salt and weather.
As far as comfort goes, the fat bike on asphalt would be a little more comfortable but not enough to justify the price.
I suggest stay with buying used. Try to look for plus sized tires (2.4" or bigger) and disc brakes.
Wash off the bike after bad weather rides and keep parts lubed.
Cheers
Old 10-13-21, 07:56 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
If your budget is $100/year...You won't be buying any fat bikes soon.

As noted a more expensive bike isn't going to be more durable against salt and sand.
Old 10-13-21, 08:05 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience in riding on plowed/salted/sanded roads in the winter is that you don't want the widest possible tires - narrower tires will more effectively cut through the mashed potato slush and contact the pavement underneath.

Also, as said above, the salt will destroy your $2000 fat bike as fast as it destroys a $50 dumpster bike - the only difference is that it doesn't hurt as much to throw the $50 bike back into the garbage bin where you found it.

I bought a nice fatbike for winter riding, but I am planning on only taking that bike to the snowshoe trails. I built myself a winter 'beater' bike with 1.75" wide studded tires because I don't want to ride my fatbike on the road in the winter.
Old 10-13-21, 08:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Up your budget and buy one of these. 11 speeds...no chain...no cassette.

https://spotbikes.com/products/acme-bike
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-13-21, 08:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiagra77
Hello everyone. I hope everybody is doing fine. This winter will be the third winter that I use a bike all winter long for my transport. I live in the suburb of Montreal so a lot of snow is falling but there is a good clearing. However, the snow plow leaves a lot of sand and salt and destroys my bike. For that reason, I buy a really cheap and really used/rusty MTB for like 50$ in classified ads. Unfortunatly, these cheap bikes do not last long, especially the brakes stuck. I am afraid the bike I bought last year will not stand another winter long, eventough I made a good tune up now and few times during last winter. I live in an appartment and I don't have any garage, the bike is on a balcony not really protected from snow.

So my questions are, should I buy a fatbike ? I know it will be more confortable but how about the durability ? I have a strict budget of around 100$/year. Will a 1000$ fatbike last 10 years in these conditions ? Which one do you suggest me if so ? Or should I just buy a used ~80$ mountain bike almost every year like I did ?

Thanks in advance.
I can echo most of the posts above.

I've commuted via 26er and fat bike (ref pics below). IMHO, for your budget goals, an older 'beater' bike is your best bet and I suggest, focus MTB with on disc brakes and buy yourself high quality winter tires.

Fat bike tires without studs aren't any help with ice, but nice on fresh snow and old slush ... studded fat bike tires will easily kill your budget ($200+ per tire).

For durability, my Pugsley has been great. I've logged 8,000 miles since buying new during winter '14-'15. These miles include summer and winter. Most components are holding up well to challenging conditions I ride through.

Retired Marin Nail Trail 26er (frame cracked)

Pugsley (drop-bar conversion for gravel/endurance riding)

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-21-21, 06:12 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Good fender coverage and frequent/regular cleaning of your drivetrain, brakes, wheels and lower frame would probably be the most effective approach to surviving salty, slushy commuting.
If you can manage a singlespeed set up it would simplify your life.
Old 01-11-22, 09:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I bought a Motobecane Boris for 700 modified it some and has been a decent ride. 2x10 Sram. Fun bike to have some fun on but I’m not a hardcore fat biker.

First real snow since 1985
Old 01-11-22, 11:22 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I bought a Motobecane Boris for 700 modified it some and has been a decent ride. 2x10 Sram. Fun bike to have some fun on but I’m not a hardcore fat biker.
First real snow since 1985
Nice looking bike
Not sure what you mean by a "hardcore" fat bike rider. You're riding it in the snow, and that is one of it's intended purposes. I would suggest that you try riding it sans snow, on trails, it is quite fun. You may just become a hardcore fat bike rider
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-17-22, 01:45 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I bought a Dolomite ALX back in the spring. While I’m not a foul weather rider I really like the bike.

changed out the touch points for adjustments and comfort and have been happy with the bike. The shifting has been good and the braking more than adequate. For what I paid it’s been worth it.
Old 01-19-22, 07:20 AM
Chubakazubaka

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Pride Donut 6.1 fetbike and realized that riding a bike in winter is a special pleasure that I had never thought of before.
Likes For Chubakazubaka:
Old 01-20-22, 07:58 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
If I lived in an apartment where space is limited and I had to maneuvor the bike thru the halls/elevator/stairs, etc., a fatbike wouldn't be at the top of the list.
A poperly geared SingleSpeed with "winter" tires and disc brakes would be my choice....but that's me.