Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How important is bicycling to you?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How important is bicycling to you?

Old 05-22-22, 02:01 AM
lorr1e1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbacon
There are days when I wish I could drive again. I read a link on this site that said the average car owner shells out $9,900 a year to own a car. If I'm correct I read this in a link in the utility forum. As someone that gets $11,488 a year to live on car ownership is out of my reach. However I hope to pass the medical tests this winter and be cleared to drive again. If that happens I will carefully analyze the cost of a scooter (highway speed) or a motorcycle. For now bicycling is very important to me because it's the only thing that enables me to have independance. Tomorrow I have to go on a 16 mile round trip to run an important errand. It will make me tired but it's necessary. While I'm getting healthier and stronger there are days where I'm just plain whipped. If I didn't have a bicycle I would have to take cabs, bus, or walk.
Every 2 weeks I used to go on a 15 mile round trip to get my groceries and I biked it fast there and back. If people want true fitness from biking you have to train yourself to go a bit further get a hydration bag/pack and go on bike runs. I was the fittest I had ever been in my whole life I had cycling legs from all the weight of the shopping in the 2 rear panniers, in my back pack and on the handle bars I got to that stage in just over 1 year.
Old 05-22-22, 04:08 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520, 2020 Trek Marlin 5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I'm retiring from teaching in about 3 weeks. I've been ramping up my biking for errands and pleasure and want to transition to living car light as much as possible.
Old 07-22-22, 05:48 PM
Flipper_

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Averagely important
Old 03-12-23, 03:34 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
I have been biking alot since I have been a kid and later went into road bike racing in my teens, and still biking alot. Used the car seldomly and sold it. I prefer to use my bikes,easy of use and pleasure of shifting and keeps me in shape.
Old 03-18-23, 06:19 AM
SB1501

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2021), Raleigh Edale (2016)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Cycling is important to me because not only is it a hobby but it's an alternative strategy in life to getting around. It's also, here in the UK, non-taxable, no license or hoops needed to do it and universal - your whole family can get involved. It can be done alone or with friends or strangers. It solves a lot of our future problems as humans. I don't cycle as much as I should for leisure or commuting. But that bike in the shed is the only defence I truly have as a typical working person when I see fuel prices nearly double... It's security and hope.
Likes For SB1501:
Old 03-18-23, 08:38 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SB1501
Cycling is important to me because not only is it a hobby but it's an alternative strategy in life to getting around. It's also, here in the UK, non-taxable, no license or hoops needed to do it and universal - your whole family can get involved. It can be done alone or with friends or strangers. It solves a lot of our future problems as humans. I don't cycle as much as I should for leisure or commuting. But that bike in the shed is the only defence I truly have as a typical working person when I see fuel prices nearly double... It's security and hope.
That's very close to my line of thought. I bike for a few reasons/purposes, but the most important aspect of biking to me is that it's a great mode of transportation, both for myself and my family. We do own a car, but we travel by bike as much as possible - including (but not limited to) taking our daughter to appointments, going shopping and meeting friends.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 04-17-23, 01:52 PM
Peddel4pizza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It has saved my life, and is deemed necessary.
Old 04-17-23, 02:22 PM
Peddel4pizza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love cycling more now as I was off the bike for many years and got fat and lazy. I gave up my car and now ride a bike to my Amazon warehouse job and with less stress, I couldn’t be happier. The bicycle has saved my life.
Old 05-09-23, 06:36 PM
907Bianchi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling helped me get rid of the monotonous way of daily life, if I can bike to work I am as happy as can be. It gets me used to becoming more organized and thoughtful of my planning and execution, as it takes a lot more prepping than turning a key.

Biking has been a huge role in my friend groups as well, we go out and socialize and push each other to become stronger and better.

I wish my town was more biker friendly, it really puts you in a state where you could be hit if you slack on your vigilance.
Old 05-23-23, 09:26 AM
DB77

Bikes: Ribble Endurance 725, Giant Contend

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling is important because it provides an opportunity to be outside away from the stresses of daily life. I enjoy being alone with my thoughts while engaged in rigorous physical activity. It's also highly enjoyable to look at the scenery. It's very beneficial for my mental health. Plus I look pretty badass in lycra!