Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

travel for a living bring bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

travel for a living bring bike?

Old 08-12-22, 03:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
yeah that's what I was afraid of. Seems like the travel job I am just going to be working/hotel/netflix/hotel gym/sleep.
I think it will depend on how long your will be in a certain place while travelling. My son used to travel a lot for work and he could be in one country for 2-4 weeks. He has been to all kinds of interesting places, Tunisia, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand, several European countries. He went to Australia twice for a month each time. The second time he took his bike with him. Being in a place long enough to have weekends makes taking a bike worthwhile. Later on his trips were shorter so he would just rent a bike for a day, much less trouble than transporting a boxed bike through multiple airports
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-12-22, 04:14 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I think it will depend on how long your will be in a certain place while travelling. My son used to travel a lot for work and he could be in one country for 2-4 weeks. He has been to all kinds of interesting places, Tunisia, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand, several European countries. He went to Australia twice for a month each time. The second time he took his bike with him. Being in a place long enough to have weekends makes taking a bike worthwhile. Later on his trips were shorter so he would just rent a bike for a day, much less trouble than transporting a boxed bike through multiple airports
That sounds like a dream job! good for him.

From my understanding it will be mostly just be the pacific northwest. Nothing exotic. Probably a bunch of small town usa, which would be fun to explore on a gravel bike.
Old 08-12-22, 08:49 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I used to travel at least once a month when I was living full-time in Bangkok. Fun cities to bike in were Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta. Not so fun cities were Manila and New Delhi. The UAE and Qatar were ok unless it was summer. Just too hot then. I always used a bike case and they worked very well. Most airlines were very accommodating.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 08-12-22, 09:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I used to travel by air domestically about 25%, of the time. I bought a cheap sleeping bag at a Wally's, sewed it folded to the length of my longest bicycle frame, and I always took it with me.
Don't remember if they charged extra
I had a big case of electronic test equipment so my employer always paid what ever.
Now I have a solo and a tandem Ritchey that flies for work or pleasure travel.
When I travel by car I throw an appropriate bike in.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 08-13-22, 05:14 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
That sounds like a dream job! good for him.

From my understanding it will be mostly just be the pacific northwest. Nothing exotic. Probably a bunch of small town usa, which would be fun to explore on a gravel bike.
It was a dream job until it wasn't. When you have a couple of very young children at home being away for weeks at a time gets old fast
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-18-22, 05:11 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If you travel by car then a folding bike would be a good addition and good ones sell for less than $1,000 new. If you fly then it becomes very expensive. When I was living in Dallas and spending a great deal of time in the SF bay area I ended up buying a second bike as it was much cheaper than paying the airline baggage fees.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-19-22, 01:20 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
If you travel by car then a folding bike would be a good addition and good ones sell for less than $1,000 new. If you fly then it becomes very expensive. When I was living in Dallas and spending a great deal of time in the SF bay area I ended up buying a second bike as it was much cheaper than paying the airline baggage fees.
The more I read about what it's like on road ( flying ), I don't think the job is for me. I just let it go. From my understanding I would be flying to several different customer sites. Keeping a 2nd bike would not be an option.

I am envious of runners. Easy to pack some good running shoes and shorts. :-) My knees just not happy running or hiking down hill.
Likes For sean.hwy: