Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torelli Back In The Day

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Torelli Back In The Day

Old 08-12-22, 05:03 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
Torelli Back In The Day

So in early times in the '80s did Torelli market any low line bikes or were they all pretty much decent quality products?

Thanks
Old 08-12-22, 05:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...you'd need to define "low line" and "decent quality". The whole concept was Italian contract built frames at more reasonable prices. The lowest in the hierarchy I've seen and experienced was built from Columbus Aelle, and there might have been one that was only three tubes Aelle. Still a pretty good frame, IMO.
Old 08-13-22, 01:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
So in early times in the '80s did Torelli market any low line bikes or were they all pretty much decent quality products?

Thanks
I don't know much about their product line over the years. There were some nice frames. I was fond of one of their tires... very much like the "open tubulars", in that they were supple and light and rode great.

Looking through my magazine clippings, I did find a very brief road test of a Torelli Corsa Strada. It was built from Oria vanadium steel tubing, with some combination of lugs and tig welding.
Here's the road test (which looks a lot like a press release)....

another ad does list some of their models .....
This was the era when adding carbon fiber seat stays to a metal frame was some sort of compromise to get part of the ride characteristics of carbon at a fraction of the cost.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-13-22, 07:42 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,459 Posts
When I dealt with them ‘89-‘93ish they just had Torelli, as stated good frames on a budget, and the Mondonico line which was their high end. They didn’t really sell bikes so much as frames and “kits”

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-13-22, 09:53 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Aren't Torelli frames Mondonico built?
Old 08-14-22, 04:22 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by krakhaus
This road test does mention that it was built by Mondonico...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-14-22, 08:09 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus

That was my understanding back then. Torelli imported the Mondonico line and contracted to them for their budget bikes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-14-22, 08:54 AM
Campagnerdo 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
The earliest Torelli frames (early 80's) were not Mondonico built. Early Corsa Strada and Super Strada with Oria tubes. I have an early Super Strada with Oria tubes, which appears to be seamed tubing. I'm pretty sure the builder was Vicini.
Old 08-14-22, 09:23 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
The 1986 Torelli Corsa Strada was built with Mazzicato straight gauge hi-tensile carbon steel tubing. All European components. $420.
Old 08-14-22, 09:39 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I have it on good authority that Faggin built some Torelli frames. The good authority was Cristina Faggin.
Old 08-14-22, 11:21 AM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
I think someone had previously posted this advertisement showing the lineup.

The Countach is where they mention pinned construction, so its possible thats the level (and above) where Mondonico was builder.

The Mondonico bottom bracket stamping is unique and easy to spot, with a tall “M” in the middle.

I have a Nitro Express in EL-OS, and every time I ride it I re-affirm that it is my best ride!
Old 08-14-22, 12:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Nothing to add about Torelli, but I did feel the need to comment on the Bicycling '99 image. I loved those reviews during that time frame! Something about the photography, and the way they broke down the review into little bite-sized paragraphs - but particularly the "Buy It If/Forget It If" bottom line. Just a simplified, but informative and cool, way to get the pertinent info out to the prospective buyer. Only a couple years or so later I stopped reading cycling periodicals completely, having found/established my bike niche.

Thanks for posting this! Took me back, if only for a moment.

DD
Old 08-14-22, 09:39 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Nothing to add about Torelli, but I did feel the need to comment on the Bicycling '99 image. I loved those reviews during that time frame! Something about the photography, and the way they broke down the review into little bite-sized paragraphs - but particularly the "Buy It If/Forget It If" bottom line. Just a simplified, but informative and cool, way to get the pertinent info out to the prospective buyer. Only a couple years or so later I stopped reading cycling periodicals completely, having found/established my bike niche.

Thanks for posting this! Took me back, if only for a moment.

DD
Glad that it was a pleasant, if brief, jog down memory lane.

I do think these reviews were invented for the TL;DR crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I think I was pretty devoted to Bicycle Guide by this time, what with their relatively deep reviews and outstanding photography!

as a quick example, here are two pages from a 4(?) page review of a Waterford 1200....

It's like a proper meal instead of quickly choking down an energy bar (imho, etc)!

Steve in Peoria (a firm believer in making time for a proper meal)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-14-22, 09:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Bicycle Guide was another mag I perused regularly during this time frame, and yes, they did some fantastic reviews - and of course they were more in-depth. I enjoyed them, too, and up until a year or so ago when I passed my mini-collection to a friend, they were some of the few bike mags I kept down through the years. My favorite was one celebrating Italy and the contribution to cycling made over the years by the artisans there.

For the later Bicycling reviews, just something about the general, no-nonsense, bullet-point review catered to a certain sense of efficiency, I suppose. Whatever it was, the format spoke to me - not that I ever remotely considered buying any of the bikes reviewed, mind you. Heck, it wasn't until 2011 that I finally built a bike with modern clicky-shifting

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-15-22, 06:49 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I recall Torelli selling several other brands: Mondonico as we have said, as well Guerciotti. I recall there may have been others, but I don’t recall exactly. We had a LBS here in Ann Arbor which carried Torelli, but he had not studied the company and was willing to let me sit and read the catalog. Clearly he would order anything I asked him to, but did not in my recollection display any frames.

Until this thread I never saw information released by Torelli which indicated that some Torelli-branded bikes were made by Mondonico. It was amazing to me howThe Torelli catalogs usually contained a geometry chart for Torelli road bikes and another for Mondonico bikes. My recollection was that they were the same or nearly so. More supposition, but this suggested to me that at least there is an understanding with Mondonico, permitting Torelli to direct Contract Builders A through Z to “Please follow the attached Geometry Chart.”
Old 08-15-22, 08:06 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I do think these reviews were invented for the TL;DR crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I think I was pretty devoted to Bicycle Guide by this time, what with their relatively deep reviews and outstanding photography!

It's like a proper meal instead of quickly choking down an energy bar (imho, etc)!
Agreed. I hate reviews geared to the short-attention-span set. I want to sit down and read a review!
Old 08-15-22, 04:57 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 363 Posts
Torelli took over the Masi name for three or four years after TSD quit.
Their first tier Masi were Billato built and the upper were Mondonico.
My 1989 Torelli-Masi-Billato Nuova Strada
Old 02-03-23, 05:23 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
I have a Torelli Corsa Strada frameset that I believe dates to ~1986. It has the Oria tubing decal. I put a borescope down the tubes and there is evidence that they started with seamed tubing and then through their additional drawing pretty much worked it out. I can see a tine of lighter material running down the inside of the tubes, but there is nothing you could feel with your finger. This is much like True Temper's approach for all their tubing, from what I understand. I also have a Masi Nuova Strada from the same time frame and the two frames look identical, though the Masi has a Columbus decal. It is obvious to me that the two frames came off the same production line. Most cyclists of the era didn't know that stiffness is a result of the diameter and thickness of a steel tube, not its material. Higher quality tubing is stronger, which allows thinner tubing to be used, making the frame lighter and changing the ride characteristics. You can build quite a decent riding bike out of quality, straight-gauge tubing, if that's your goal, though it might buckle a bit quicker in a crash compared with more expensive tubing of the same gauge. I haven't built this one up, but the tubing appears to be relatively thin-walled, and I have no reason to disbelieve that the positive road tests from the era. The workmanship is fine, but I got it with an Ofmega BB and headset and both are classic Italian crap.
Old 02-04-23, 12:32 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
I have a Torelli Corsa Strada frameset that I believe dates to ~1986. It has the Oria tubing decal. I put a borescope down the tubes and there is evidence that they started with seamed tubing and then through their additional drawing pretty much worked it out. I can see a tine of lighter material running down the inside of the tubes, but there is nothing you could feel with your finger. This is much like True Temper's approach for all their tubing, from what I understand. I also have a Masi Nuova Strada from the same time frame and the two frames look identical, though the Masi has a Columbus decal.
I think Cromor is flat-rolled-seamed-drawn tubing from Columbus.
Old 02-04-23, 01:36 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
I have seen some nice Torelli for sales onEbay
Torelli Super Strada Columbus Zona, Torelli Super Strada Columbus Zona 2, Torelli Corsa Strada Oria (almost bought this frame but the lack of the decal of the tubing manufacturer ,the costs of import duties and shipping as well as unfinished tig welding made it a no), Torelli La Bicilcetta Che Vince Columbus SL, Torelli Corsa Strada Oria Vanadium, Torelli Corsa Strada Columbus Steel .
Exception made of the two first which have very high quality tubing, Oria was never rated as high as Columbus or even Dedacciai or Reynolds but it was used in the80's-90's by Guerciotti, Tommasini, Montagner, Olmo, Dancelli, Daccordi, Ciocc and Pinarello and more on Oria history, Even the complete tubesets from Oria always weighted way more than what the competition proposed, not sure if Oria still exists.
Old 02-04-23, 08:46 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
There's been a pair of these listed locally for a couple of years now.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/67774822

Old 02-04-23, 10:52 AM
Campagnerdo 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
Having an Oria (seamed) tubed, gios blue, Super Strada, the one with the pantographed stem, chainring, and seatpost, I keep my eyes open for information about them. At some point I acquired a copy of an email to someone, purported to be from Chairman Bill, regarding an early Torelli Corsa Strada, one that was of the same era as the Super Strada I have. So take it at whatever value you care to assign it. I did go looking at Vicini frame pics from the same era, and was convinced that was the origin of my frame. Email follows:Original owner selling prestine 1981 Torelli Corsa Strata Bicycle. In original condition. Seldom ridden. Stored in garage for years. Included original water bottles and leather toe straps. $675 Or Best Offer.

See statement below from Torelli.com:

Sent: Tue, Mar 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Subject: RE: Torelli Bicycle

John,

I forwarded you email w/ pictures to Bill McGann the founder of Torelli. Only he knows the vintage product. You have yourself a very special frame in that old Corsa Strada. Below I've pasted his response...

My goodness! I had to do a double take when I saw those pictures. This bike was made around 1981. It is the first production Torelli bike made in the shop of Mario Vicini, who got second place in the 1937 Tour de France.

It is indeed a Corsa Strada. We made only a few of the pearl yellow ones. The Ciclolinea tape on the stem has nothing to do with identifying the bike. That is a sticker from the maker of the handlebar tape that came with the bike.

The bike looks to be in terrific condition given that it is almost 30 years old.

Cordially,

Bill