Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

When did you decide to sell your car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

When did you decide to sell your car?

Old 04-24-21, 09:58 AM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
I haven't sold it yet, but I've loaned it to a friend from overseas who was paying a small fortune in car rentals while he is working locally for a few months.

Since February 2020, I'd filled the gas tank up only 3 times and know it was doing the car no favours, sitting in the garage getting dusty. I had been thinking of selling it, and the time doing without a car now will let me know for sure if being car-less works for me.

Before COVID, I regularly needed my car when I took the ferry over to Vancouver Island, where my family & many friends live. I'd drive ~ 400 kms during a visit, they are pretty spread out. I got into walking last September, the town I live in is small enough that I can do all my shopping & errands by walking or riding my bike.

(I own the car, have no payments other than insurance, which my friend is now paying. The insurance was changed to him as primary driver with me retaining ownership. He will also take care of maintenance & upkeep.)

Last edited by SteveKB; 04-24-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 06:39 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveKB
(I own the car, have no payments other than insurance, which my friend is now paying. The insurance was changed to him as primary driver with me retaining ownership. He will also take care of maintenance & upkeep.)
Neat! You're a good friend and it sounds like a great arrangement for both of you.

It's criminal how much some people are paying in car loans. When they finally get rid of the loan payment after 5 years, they go off and buy a new car for a new car loan. How these people manage to save for retirement is beyond me.
Old 06-27-22, 06:33 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveKB
I haven't sold it yet, but I've loaned it to a friend from overseas who was paying a small fortune in car rentals while he is working locally for a few months.

Since February 2020, I'd filled the gas tank up only 3 times and know it was doing the car no favours, sitting in the garage getting dusty. I had been thinking of selling it, and the time doing without a car now will let me know for sure if being car-less works for me.

Before COVID, I regularly needed my car when I took the ferry over to Vancouver Island, where my family & many friends live. I'd drive ~ 400 kms during a visit, they are pretty spread out. I got into walking last September, the town I live in is small enough that I can do all my shopping & errands by walking or riding my bike

Well, I did sell it to my overseas friend in March, really haven't missed having a car at all.
Gas prices skyrocketing in the last few months certainly limited my thoughts of getting another vehicle.
I've been walking ~ 2 hours every single day, and regularly use my bikes for errands, shopping & casual riding/sightseeing.
Old 06-28-22, 12:54 PM
Kimber1959

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started looking hard at going car free when I threw a rod in my Step Van. It had 4 solar panels on the roof and was going to be my off grid home. Shop wanted over $6000 to replace the motor. Now I have a mooncool Trike which I am upgrading as I can aford. With an eye to converting eventually to ETrike.
Old 06-30-22, 12:01 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I sold it when I moved to Japan. After a few years in Japan, and having kids, I ended up buying another car, it's hard to go camping, rafting, or climbing with kids without having a car. I don't bother to drive around Tokyo, a bicycle is faster and cheaper.
Old 07-02-22, 08:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
How did you make that decision and what prompted you? How did your significant other (if any) take it?
I took a 5 month bike tour US and Canada. Put my car in storage. When I got back I wanted to build up my savings again so I moved into an apartment near a huge shopping mall, two groceries, movie theater, and anything else within walking distance. Then I just never went back to the car and let my brother have it.

After all that I took a 7 month bike trip, and several other 1-3 month trips since I didn't have car expenses. I made it 30 years car-free. I met my wife about 10 years into my car-free days. She didn't care.
Old 09-01-22, 02:08 PM
RihanaB
Banned.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I sold my car when it stopped suiting my status. Now I need a loan here to get a better one.

Last edited by RihanaB; 09-06-22 at 03:33 AM.