Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Freewheel swaps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Freewheel swaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-22, 07:47 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Freewheel swaps

I was thrilled to get a 16-17-18-19-21 freewheel for my yellow race-bike, and then I was able to swap it's 15-24 spread freewheel onto my Fuji fun bike. I needed the 18T cog on the racer because for me running a 52/17 was just not useful, and the Fuji with it's smaller front chainwheels, I think a 48 or 50 big wheel, had a 20T cog on a big 14-28 spread freewheel that was too slow and then jumped to a 17T which was about as high as I had practical use for. So now it has a 19t eighth gear cog to close up the jump between it and the 17t seventh gear.

It is a bit more of a workout climbing steep grades with these freewheels, but doable on the small front chainwheels and getting exercise is what it is all about anyway.

While I was at the swap I put a nicer spoke-guard on the Fuji as it's original was badly chewed up from someone in the past dropping the chain behind the large cog, also looked at the lube in the rear bearings of the Fuji and it was fine.

The race bike recently got a new rear axle and it's rear bearing adjustment fine-tuned, so I have peace of mind about it's reliability the rest of the season.

I think I have these two bikes set up now where all I have to do is ride them, and that is a nice feeling.

Old 06-28-22, 07:11 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
[QUOTE=beng1;22556103]I think I have these two bikes set up now where all I have to do is ride them, and that is a nice feeling./QUOTE]

I lied. Today I saw a way to lower the handlebar stem of the race-bike another 3/4" so I did. The tweaking will never stop......... I should probably rotate the bars one degree forward now also......