Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Jump rope?

Old 11-29-06, 07:09 AM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jump rope?

Any one jump rope? Is it effective at weightloss or a waste of time. Recently I just feel like buying a jump rope and doing it. Any input or things you can do with a jump rope for weightloss?

Thanks
Old 11-29-06, 07:53 AM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
double dutch is pretty radical.
Old 11-29-06, 09:15 AM
kylecrispin

Bikes: Surly Cross Check 2008 50CM Misty Mountain Gray

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jokes aside jumping rope is actually an incredible workout. Try to jump up and down for a few minutes and see if that's not a workout. Now imagine having to swing a rope around timed perfectly with your jumps. Then start working on different types of footwork. There is a reason boxers, even at the highest levels, still jump rope. My advice is get a nice jump rope.
Likes For kylecrispin:
Old 11-29-06, 10:36 AM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylecrispin
My advice is get a nice jump rope.
And earplugs for your neighbours downstairs...
Old 11-29-06, 11:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by kylecrispin
Jokes aside jumping rope is actually an incredible workout. Try to jump up and down for a few minutes and see if that's not a workout. Now imagine having to swing a rope around timed perfectly with your jumps. Then start working on different types of footwork. There is a reason boxers, even at the highest levels, still jump rope. My advice is get a nice jump rope.
Some boxers do jump rope and others less so. I recall Roberto Duran was quite a jumper. He even did squats while jumping. But I also recall Carlos Palomino doing less of it. I don't know about Sugar Ray Leonard.

My daughter was a rhythmic gymnast and as you know they do the rope routines. These girls can jump rope way better than the boxers. Longer time and faster, but with less tricks like Duran.
Old 11-29-06, 11:30 AM
Fivetenfrank

Bikes: 2004 Jamis Exile; 2006 Jamis Ventura Comp, 2005 Fuji Aloha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear by my rope.

I am a martial artist (my other love) and skipping rope becomes ingrained into you from the day you start at a white belt. I wear my HRM ocassionally while I am jumping and its not uncommon to get the HR up to the 170's.

I am too the point where I can all sorts of footwork when I skip rope, and aside from the pure cardiovascular benefit, its a great way for a boxer or sport karate guy like to me to work on rythmn.

We used to do workouts built around the rope. Example:

We'd do two minutes of heay bag work followed by 2 minutes of skipping rope. I still use my rope as a good warmup for running or cycling, especially on race day. Its an all-over workout: you workout your cardiovascular system, your legs, and your arms.

Skip rope for 2-3 minutes and I guarentee your heart will be thumping and your shoulders will sore. Start mixing in some running in place while skipping, and you get a nice glut and quad workout.

Tip: Get a speed rope. The cotton ropes arent heavy enough to move the rope with any speed, and the weighted ropes really sting when you whack yourself in the foot with it. If you want the additional workout, go to Walmart and buy a cheap set of ankle weights and do some sets with those on.

Also, dont focus on being Muhammed Ali with the rope - just work on your basic skip rope technique when you start out. It will take some time to develop one footed stuff and running in place.
Old 11-29-06, 11:46 AM
ranger5oh
Just shy of 400W

Bikes: Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to jump rope all the time. Its great excersize, and a very good calf workout. If you are overweight, you probably wont like it much though. Its a good supplemental fitness practice to me. I stopped jumping rope because I find it boring... my .02.

Old 11-29-06, 01:21 PM
VosBike
Outgunned and outclassed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great cross training for mainting bone density in road cyclists.

Wont do much to make you faster on the bike, but will make you much better at jumping over a rope.
Old 11-29-06, 01:35 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Bit too harsh for my fat old *ss.
Old 11-29-06, 02:06 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. Ill pick up a new jump rope and get going. I used to jump rope a lot so I know Ill like it.

Originally Posted by Fivetenfrank
Tip: Get a speed rope. The cotton ropes arent heavy enough to move the rope with any speed, and the weighted ropes really sting when you whack yourself in the foot with it.

As stupid as this probably sounds do you have a recomendation for a good jump rope? I did some quick research and who would think there are so many different types of rope.

Are you recomending a plastic speed rope? Not leather or weighted right?
Old 11-29-06, 07:52 PM
Fivetenfrank

Bikes: 2004 Jamis Exile; 2006 Jamis Ventura Comp, 2005 Fuji Aloha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a plain old plastic speed rope that I bought for $7. I dont use a leather one and I dont use an ajustable one. You'll rive yourself crazy trying to find a good lenght on the adjustable one.

I think I bought mine at Target.
Old 12-01-06, 09:46 PM
kmckay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try interval training with a rope 1 min on full blast 2 min slow repeat 8 times great conditioning and the epoc is HUGE.
Old 12-04-06, 08:18 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kmckay
Try interval training with a rope 1 min on full blast 2 min slow repeat 8 times great conditioning and the epoc is HUGE.

+1

I thought I was the only person who did this. I am a HUGE proponent of interval training with a jump rope. Ive been doing it for years and I think it really works. I do mine a little differently but the end result sounds the same. I generally will do 40-60 minutes or rope jumping several times a week, all interval based.

I also have a heavy rope I jump a lot but it's more of a shoulder/arm workout than much aerobic benefit. Here's a picture of said rope.

It weighs 6 pounds. When you get that sucker swinging around, it's a hell of a workout and EVERYONE hits theirself in the back of the head with it the first time they use it.
Old 12-04-06, 09:01 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmckay

epoc?
Old 04-11-07, 06:26 AM
jorpe
new newbie

Bikes: Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going to bump this to see if anyone has done the buddy lee off season or in season workout jumping rope for cycling. I just finished his jumprope book and saw his ropes are back in stock on his site. I'm going to get one just to pass the time while working at night in a hospital/medical setting.
Old 04-11-07, 07:01 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't done any of his programs, but I have the rope. Jump rope is HUGE for explosive leg power, aerobic conditioning, and as earlier stated, EPOC. All my athletes skip rope constantly.
Old 04-11-07, 07:11 AM
jorpe
new newbie

Bikes: Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which of his ropes do you use/recommend? I was going to get the aero speed and also the cross trainer.
Old 04-11-07, 08:28 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.buddyleejumpropes.com/which_rope.htm
Old 04-11-07, 12:23 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JayC
It weighs 6 pounds. . . . and EVERYONE hits theirself in the back of the head with it the first time they use it.
As on your bike, wear a helmet at all times!
Old 09-24-21, 01:40 AM
JohnMicheal
Johnmicheal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Jump Rope is an exercise equipment that helps you to loss weight by jumping up and down on the same place. It will be helpful to increase our heart rate and helps us to lose some extra pounds such as belly fat, leg fat and arm fat too.

You just need a rope, but it's better if you use a speed rope that consists of two handles and a cable, instead of one handle. And if you use this rope, it will be better to learn some jump roping techniques by taking training from any expert first (you can go with us).

Familiarize with the Skipping Rope:
You need to make sure that your set up area is clean and clear of any obstacles, just like the other workout equipment. Now, stand firmly on both your feet with shoulder width apart. If you are using an speed rope, there will be two handles on each side of it.
Now for jump roping make sure that you hold onto the rope by placing your non dominant hand (right hand for someone who is right handed) on the handle that is to your left and placing other hand on top of it.
Now you can hold both handles at hip height (at 90° angle). Make sure to hold the jump rope tightly, don't let it slip through your hands. You can try different grip positions like- overhand grip, underhand grip or double-handed grip.

You can go for counter weights if you are looking to improve your jump roping speed.

How to jump rope ?
Now it's time to learn how to jump rope, keep your feet shoulder-width apart and stand on the middle of the rope with one foot. Move other leg behind the stationary leg (now it will be back and front legs).
Now after doing this, make sure that your knees are bent. You have to bring up your knees to hip level while jumping on rope. If you are starting, then you need to start with practicing single double jumps.
You can jump alternating feet or just move them both at the same time.
Make sure that you are using your arms to jump rope while practicing this exercise regularly, it will help you to pulse or wave through the body. If you don't use them then there is less chance for losing weight with the help of jump rope.

Here are some more techniques:
You can practice rotating both hands together in circle while gripping the jump rope. It's a good way to make progress with your speed.
You can also try alternating weight from one leg to another foot during jumps, it will help you with balance and increased intensity of exercise.

Speed Rope Techniques:
The speed rope weight loss exercise is an advanced type of workout that requires high cardio fitness level. This workout is designed to increase your heart rate, which will help you to lose weight in a short period of time.
Now you have to start this exercise by standing on the middle of a thin, flat and firm surface in a quick manner with feet together. Now make sure that your arms are straight in front or above your head.

Make sure to maintain small jumps while going up and down for practicing this workout process.
Keep your arms straight and don't use them for moving rope. Now try to bring up both of your legs at same time that will help you to move fast. You can also turn your body from side-to-side, while jump roping with the speed rope technique.

After practicing this exercise regularly, you will slowly improve your speed.
You can also try curvy jumps while jumping on rope in order to lose weight with speed jump rope techniques. It's an amazing way to burn belly fat.
I have tried our best to provide all relevant information about 'how to lose weight by jumping' which will help you stay fit and healthy, if followed regularly (especially for beginners).
Old 09-24-21, 09:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
JohnMicheal Welcome to Bike Forums. This is an old thread 2007 and many posters may be no longer active. We do not recommend bumping old threads. And this thread is about jumping rope for training as an adjunct to cycling. This site is about cycling first and then other topics that support / augment cycling such as jumping rope, squat jumps and box jumps.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-24-21, 04:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I did enjoy reading this old thread though. Never realised there were so many different levels and types of "jump rope" you could buy! It's a real rabbit hole once you start Googling...

There's even an AERO SPEED one, that's got to be the one for me! 😎
Old 09-27-21, 12:12 PM
BennyBikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really enjoyed it for a bit after shoulder surgery put me off anything that required my upper body... this reminds me I should really get back into it!
I personally have the Rush athletics "money" ropes.
Old 09-27-21, 05:29 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
ditch the rope (almost wrote skip) and just jump