Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pedal Forward, any good?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pedal Forward, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 04:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mioumiou
I'm late to this discussion. Any photos of your conversion? Would love to see the details. Thanks! -- Christine (I'm 61).
He doesn't post here anymore. I would be curious to see that thing myself.
Old 01-14-22, 05:46 PM
michelsal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try adding a motor.

Originally Posted by OH~Treker
Hi all,
Recently had my right knee "scoped" for the 2x. At the end of my regular riding season in Oct I was having lots of pain, found 2 meniscus tears and lots of arthritis.I was wondering if there is any one out there with knee arthritis that has gone the pedal forward route and is it beneficial? I don't want to go recumbent but was wondering about an Electra Townie 21 spd. I know they are slow but I am going for the longevity of the knee. I am 61+ and commute a couple of times a week to work(14 mi. r/t) in addition to my fun rides. Any experience with this situation would be appreciated. Thanks, John
Even a small 250 watt front hub drive will mean you can keep from pedalling harder than your pain threshold allows but allow you to keep going and get the benefits of cycling strengthening and lubricating your knees. easy to add to the Townie!
Old 01-14-22, 09:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by michelsal
Even a small 250 watt front hub drive will mean you can keep from pedalling harder than your pain threshold allows but allow you to keep going and get the benefits of cycling strengthening and lubricating your knees. easy to add to the Townie!
He hasn't posted on BF since 2015. One post and done!
Old 01-14-22, 10:53 PM
michelsal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I'm reading things several years old, I assume others may be too. a warehouse of people's knowledge and experience!
Old 01-15-22, 02:22 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Looked as if you were responding to the OP, who hasn't posted on BF since he started this thread. Not uncommon with Zombie Threads. Yes, old threads can be full of good information.
Old 01-17-22, 06:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Electric-assist bikes are becoming a legitimate option for those with knee problems, which was not the case back in 2015 when this thread started.
Old 07-14-22, 01:22 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
My knee problems have been largely cured (at 57) for the time being by
A) Exercise while pulling on my knees to repair the meniscus (as recommended by pursuance)
B) Rotational exercise to improve core strength and
C) (Why I am posting here) "pedaling forward.”

C contains A (since I pull as part of my pedal stroke) but I still have to do B once in a while.
By "pedaling forward.” I mean
1) I use lots of rear saddle offset
2) I push forward with my ankles pointing down as much as possible, and as early as possible, by imagining I am sitting on the chair (rather than saddle) of a very tall go-kart or recumbent. In fact my legs are pointing down at about the same angle as my seat tube but they feel forward.
3) The end of the push will be at about 4 or 5 O'clock. I then pull back from their using my glutes in a whipping motion like I am pointing mortar on a wall in front of me.

The advantages are that I am not using my weight so that I can unload my push more easily, and since at the 4-5 Oclock position I can still pull with my glutes (as opposed to attempting to pull upwards behind my butt) which means I can keep the chain taught and speed high transferring seamlessly from quads to glutes. The fact that the end of the push is with my ankles down and toes up helps me to cushion the end of the push. And the fact that I am using my glutes means that my knees get pulled (for meniscus repair) and my glutes get a good workout and I think that is glute strength (or weakness) that is the critical factor in sore knees since it is not wear so much as using ones legs when they are bowed (inwards or outwards) that results in sore knees. Core (butt) exercises cure sore knees, and to a considerable extent core exercises can be achieved on bike in the pull back part of the stroke.

Someone on these forums recommended to me a Youtube doctor who recommends curing knee pain by sitting on a table, and waving ones feet backwards and forwards with weights on ones ankles. I find that this can be achieved by pedaling with just glute pull and it works. I am trying to find the post so I can tell someone else.

Here is the post recommending weighted leg movements by Dr. John Bergman D.C.recommended by forum member pursuance https://www.bikeforums.net/20467413-post52.html
Pursuance has not posted since 2018 when he was 71. I am very grateful to pursuance.

Last edited by timtak; 07-14-22 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 11:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

This is a distillation of the group's wisdom: Different platforms - upright, crank forward, or recumbent: all those may do is change your hip angle. If the pedal circle is the same size, the extension at the 'bottom' of the pedal stroke defines where the pedal circle starts, and the knee bend at the top will be the same for any given crank size. If you want less knee bend, get smaller crank arms. Shorter lever arms will cause pedaling forces to go up, so compensate for that by gearing down. The concept you're trying for is to pedal smaller circles faster, but use less pressure.
Old 07-18-22, 01:18 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Different platforms - upright, crank forward, or recumbent: all those may do is change your hip angle.
A nice conclusion but, while hip angle shouldn't therefore make much difference, for me, with the hips positioned such that the main quads powered pedal stroke is parallel to, or perpendicular to gravity makes quite a bit of difference to how easy and fluid it is to unload, and redirect, the pressure at the end of the stroke,

If I am pushing down with my quads in a stomp, parallel to gravity, not only is more difficult to stop at the end and not result in compression of my knee joint, it is much more difficult to transition to an effective glute pull. Pushing forwards helps
1) unload the end of the stroke (since there is only inertial not gravitational force behind it) and
2) pushing forwards at an angle (or backwards at an angle, as in time trial type toe down position) helps I think to transition to using ones glutes, by using ones ankle, imho.

That said I think that triathletes (especially but not entirely) who use mid-foot cleat positioning manage to pedal in circles from above the cranks, without using their ankles at all, for a lower position, and rested calves for the run.

I think that forward (heel drop) and backward (toe pointing) styles of turning the pedals make knee protection and glute use easier.
Old 07-22-22, 08:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by timtak
A nice conclusion but, while hip angle shouldn't therefore make much difference, for me, with the hips positioned such that the main quads powered pedal stroke is parallel to, or perpendicular to gravity makes quite a bit of difference to how easy and fluid it is to unload, and redirect, the pressure at the end of the stroke,
I think you're just talking about pedal stroke here -- pedaling circles instead of doing continual squat thrusts. That's also a Good Thing(tm) although it's independent of what platform or what size cranks you're using. On an upright, you should make like you're wiping mud off your shoes at the bottom of the stroke and pushing your feet forward at the top. Pedaling circles also has the effect of distributing the pedaling stresses to more muscles, giving you more endurance overall. This is a strong point for clipless pedals; you can push forward/pull backward without your feet coming out of the pedals.