Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ross Tom Kellogg

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 07:13 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Ross Tom Kellogg

Hello fellow bike 🚴 fans,

Apologies for another post this week. It’s just that the hunt continues. I also thought some of the cool 😎 (at least to me) bikes I’m coming across may be of interest.

Found on CList is a Ross Signature touring bike. It’s listed as a Tom Kellog build. Ross 531 main tubes, fork and stays.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...330602429.html

The blue paint looks the same as the bike another BikeForums member posted not too long ago. Regarding the bike in that other post, which I will try to provide a link to later, I think the consensus was the value would have been around $300. I know everyone’s asking sky high prices nowadays. However, I’m interested to know what we think it may realistically fetch in the Philly market.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mdl; 07-20-21 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-20-21, 07:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a fair price at $750. Parts group is good quality, frame is excellent, and the paint looks good. Plus the bike is in a large city. If I were the seller, I doubt I'd drop my price to move this.
Old 07-20-21, 07:32 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
That's a fair price at $750.
Thanks, Bikemig. Yes. It’s beautiful.
Old 07-20-21, 09:08 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by hazetguy
That belongs to forum member KonAaron Snake. I'm actually surprised it's still for sale, as I feel the price is quite reasonable for what it is. Had Aaron's been my size, I would have had a very difficult time not buying it.

I have the same bike in the next size up. It's a very nice riding bike. Just rode mine the other day with my kids: https://www.bikeforums.net/22149742-post17522.html
Gorgeous family, Hazetguy. You are blessed. I wish I could do that with my kids again but they’re too old to hang with Dad now. The bike is very cool, too.
Old 07-20-21, 09:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...the guy who made that frame went on to a long and relatively influential career, with most of his later focus on titanium frames.
He won't be making any more of them. That's a solid price for that bicycle, if it's your size.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-21-21, 08:57 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Mdl
Thanks, Bikemig. Yes. It’s beautiful.
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the guy who made that frame went on to a long and relatively influential career, with most of his later focus on titanium frames.
He won't be making any more of them. That's a solid price for that bicycle, if it's your size.
Mdl, are you actively looking to buy? Does the Kellogg fit you? If so, You should seriously consider it. It's a really nice, handbuilt full Reynolds 531 frame (don't let the Ross name scare you off), and the rarity of that era Kellogg bikes adds something (to me, at least).
As his (and mine) are set up essentially in the "touring" mode, with date/era catalog "correct" parts, it's a nice, comfy, well handling, "all day" kinda bike.
I weighed mine this morning: came in at a few ounces over 25lbs. I was going for as close to oe spec on my build rather than weight savings, and even with that in mind, it is not all that heavy. Surely doesn't ride heavy. That's a size larger than Aaron's, with a rack, heavy 27" clincher wheels w/ 27x1 1/4" wire-bead tires (and I put on a larger freewheel since I took the pic last week), and other "heavy" components. I mean the crankset alone is one of the more heavy I've seen (close to 2 lbs), and the pedals (on Aaron's) are especially heavy. As Aaron's sits, it's not an overly heavy bike to begin with, and if you wanted a "lighter" ride, you could easily, easily shave off a few pounds just by changing a few components.
There is another one in town near me, that the guy has decked out in Campagnolo Nuovo Record and other lighter components. I'd imagine that comes in closer to 21lbs.
Anyway, the Kellogg Ross is something you should look into if you are looking for a quality, vintage bike that kinda slips in under the radar.
I agree with all of this. If the OP wants a quality vintage bike, this is the bike to buy at the asking price.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-21-21, 04:08 PM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That looks like a great bike but as someone who has tried to sell bikes in that market, my bet is that it'll be listed for a very long time.
The recent bike boom never seemed to happen in the Philly and surrounding areas as it did in NYC and other cities.
Walmart and Target sold out of bikes and those bikes were bringing top dollar but nice vintage bikes never sold.
Old 07-21-21, 07:33 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Were there different models of Signature?

I've only seen (and owned) this style (Ishawata tubing)

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 07-21-21, 08:04 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by rustymetal
That looks like a great bike but as someone who has tried to sell bikes in that market, my bet is that it'll be listed for a very long time.
The recent bike boom never seemed to happen in the Philly and surrounding areas as it did in NYC and other cities.
Walmart and Target sold out of bikes and those bikes were bringing top dollar but nice vintage bikes never sold.
A flipper from Philly (the guy named Ray Gallani on Fbook Marketplace) wanted to buy one of my bikes. He said people are not looking to spend a lot on bikes. No more than a couple hundred normally. I suppose it’s because they’re cash sales - no credit cards 💳 /financing.
Old 07-21-21, 08:05 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by WGB
Were there different models of Signature?

I've only seen (and owned) this style (Ishawata tubing)

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
I just read yesterday there were different Signature models. I’ll try to find the link to the site.
Old 07-21-21, 09:23 PM
WGB 
WGB

Mdl I just read yesterday there were different Signature models. I’ll try to find the link to the site.

Please do and please notify me. I'd be interested in that. I regret getting rid of my Signature. There might be a difference in ride quality between 521 and Ishawata but even then what else did the better ones have apart from Components? I see some had Columbus tubing.
Old 07-21-21, 09:49 PM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I see there are four in the '85 catalog, the 290S, 292S, 294S, and the Triad 508.
There may have been other models or variants added in other years.
I remember when these were current models, but the local dealer didn't stock them, they were sort of a custom order deal. I'm not sure if they just didn't sell up against bigger brand name bikes or if the dealer didn't fully commit to the this line of bikes. They sold a ton of Super Gran Tour and Gran Tour II models, plus all the lesser models. Every one I remember seeing there was already sold awaiting pickup. They didn't stock the racks with them like they did with the other brands. By the time these came about, mountain bikes were starting to get the most attention in most shops here.

Old 07-22-21, 05:08 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I do not have an appreciation for how scarce these are but I simply cannot wrap my head around forking out $750 for anything with a Ross badge.

This bike reminds me of my ‘98 Ford Contour SVT. Quite a good performer for that era but it always bore the stigma of being a Contour.
Old 07-22-21, 08:03 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
I do not have an appreciation for how scarce these are but I simply cannot wrap my head around forking out $750 for anything with a Ross badge.

This bike reminds me of my ‘98 Ford Contour SVT. Quite a good performer for that era but it always bore the stigma of being a Contour.
...a similar example of bicycles constructed in their lean years, by frame builders who later went on to become famous, and whose work is sought after, would be the Specialized frames produced by Yoshi Konno. It's true that they sell at a discount from 3Rensho bikes, but $750 for this one is a discount from something with Spectrum on the downtube.

I have no interest in the sale of this one. But judging it by the paint color or the graphics misses a lot of what's going on. Which is fine. There are some find bicycles available used in the $300 range. Sometimes there's some snob appeal involved in buying and selling bikes. If you're not in the market for something that costs $750, you should probably look for something else.
Old 07-22-21, 08:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts

Understandable, but the same might be said of a Schwinn Paramount. It's only a Schwinn, after all.

A Tom Kellogg-built Ross bike is fully comparable to a Waterford-built Paramount.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-22-21, 08:59 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Understandable, but the same might be said of a Schwinn Paramount. It's only a Schwinn, after all.

A Tom Kellogg-built Ross bike is fully comparable to a Waterford-built Paramount.
Yeah $750 is at the low end for a bike built by one of America's premier frame builders. The parts group is very solid on this bike and the paint job is good. If it were a 57, I'd be tempted and I do not need another bike.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-22-21, 11:39 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

Ford does that quite a bit (or used to) -- i recall the Taurus SHO and the Probe SVO also. Chevy had the Z24 Cavalier, but i think that was a sticker package primarilly, those Ford SHO, SVO, SVT cars had performance that rivalled some of the ponycars of that era
Old 07-22-21, 11:49 AM
Mdl
Montedino

It’s the difference between a Camry and a Lexus GS350 F Sport.
Old 07-22-21, 05:32 PM
WGB 
WGB

Interesting info. I guess due to rarity I'd never seen or even heard these existed. I seen the campy equipped one but just assumed someone built it up on their own. I was quite happy with my Signature, perhaps innocence was bliss. Now I have something else to watch for I guess.

PS I owned a British racing green '73 Corvette convertible. Worst car buying decision ever. Rebuilt the motor, repainted it then woke up and realized it wasn't me. In retrospect, a Chevette might've been smarter, oh and cheaper.
Old 07-22-21, 08:43 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Very much so. the 29X series Signatures are a Signature in name only. They were built / imported from Taiwan (as best as I can determine at this time).
Kinda like saying "I have a Vette!" while in reality you have a CHEvette, and not a CORvette.

That's fine, you don't have to get it, I can totally relate. I have the same mental block that Trakhak mentions. You could put a top end Paramount in front of me, but in my mind, it is the same as a 40+ pound Continental, even though they are not even remotely the same, and only associated by having the same manufacturer name on the headbadge.

I've added some Signature information in the History Of Ross thread. You can start reading here, and continues a few posts below that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21882438

Some more reading about Tom and the Signatures here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/22064906-post3.html (scroll down a little in this post)

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...im-redcay.html

Here is additional reading regarding Ross mountain bikes from the same era:
MOMBAT: Ross Bicycles History
Old 07-22-21, 09:05 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Very much so. the 29X series Signatures are a Signature in name only. They were built / imported from Taiwan (as best as I can determine at this time).
Kinda like saying "I have a Vette!" while in reality you have a CHEvette, and not a CORvette.

That's fine, you don't have to get it, I can totally relate. I have the same mental block that Trakhak mentions. You could put a top end Paramount in front of me, but in my mind, it is the same as a 40+ pound Continental, even though they are not even remotely the same, and only associated by having the same manufacturer name on the headbadge.

I've added some Signature information in the History Of Ross thread. You can start reading here, and continues a few posts below that:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21882438

Some more reading about Tom and the Signatures here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/22064906-post3.html (scroll down a little in this post)

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...im-redcay.html
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...a similar example of bicycles constructed in their lean years, by frame builders who later went on to become famous, and whose work is sought after, would be the Specialized frames produced by Yoshi Konno. It's true that they sell at a discount from 3Rensho bikes, but $750 for this one is a discount from something with Spectrum on the downtube.

I have no interest in the sale of this one. But judging it by the paint color or the graphics misses a lot of what's going on. Which is fine. There are some find bicycles available used in the $300 range. Sometimes there's some snob appeal involved in buying and selling bikes. If you're not in the market for something that costs $750, you should probably look for something else.
In 2019, I test rode a 3Rensho by Yoshi Konno and would have bought it for ~$800 had it been my size. Sweet looking and riding bike. Very springy ride. I should have bought it for the investment value <<kicking self>>. Very cool seller - he bought it while stationed in Okinawa in the 80s.
Old 07-23-21, 06:05 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Mdl
I just read yesterday there were different Signature models. I’ll try to find the link to the site.
WGB, Was your Signature bike made in the U.S. or overseas as I think (?) one of the other posters suggested? WHat kind of components does it have?
Old 07-23-21, 07:28 AM
WGB 
WGB

@Mdl - Must have been overseas as both were a 290S (exactly same components as one show above in brochure).
Likes For WGB:
Old 07-23-21, 08:19 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Nice bike.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-23-21, 10:34 PM
Mdl
Montedino

What is basis for the price? Are there comparables? I did a search on the big auction site, for sold items, and can't find them.

Last edited by Mdl; 07-24-21 at 05:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.