Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ross Tom Kellogg

Old 07-23-21, 11:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...comparables rarely exist for a limited production bike of this sort. Someone mentioned that it is probably about the same level as a Waterford built Paramount. But mostly everyone here is going by their local marketplace experience on CL, if that's where a bike asked about is listed (a local sale). Ebay prices are almost always higher.

There are not enough of these changing hands for you to find comparable listings using this exact description.

My local CL prices are a little lower than those in San Francisco, but higher than someplace in Wisconsin or Ohio, for the most part.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-24-21, 11:24 AM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 24 Posts
This is such great info on these bikes. I would never have known before reading this thread. Thx for sharing your knowledge - I’m smarter today than I was yesterday 😎
Likes For ADguy:
Old 07-24-21, 02:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16382170237...cAAOSw3IxdVwg5

...is a current listing for a steel framed Spectrum, by Kellogg, which is a more recent vintage, and all Campy components.
I was surprised to find it on there, because mostly what you see are his titanium frames, which go for more.

Anyway, you wanted comparables on pricing.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-24-21, 05:44 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16382170237...cAAOSw3IxdVwg5

...is a current listing for a steel framed Spectrum, by Kellogg, which is a more recent vintage, and all Campy components.
I was surprised to find it on there, because mostly what you see are his titanium frames, which go for more.

Anyway, you wanted comparables on pricing.
3Alarmer, you are Better than The Best! Thank you!
Old 07-25-21, 07:41 AM
Mdl
Montedino

While we’re on the subject of local PA bike builders, this Veloce by PA builder John Stinsman may be of interest. A Google search brought up an 1980s interview in which Tom Kellog refers to Stinsman as “a teacher who builds bikes part time.”

Would anyone know what the…hook(?) things are on the seat stays? I don’t think I’ve seen that before. Additionally, the chain stays look unusual, right?

Also, the seller ($225 asking price) says it’s a 50cmx52cm bike. I suppose he’d know but does it look more like a 52cm seat tube?

Sorry for the pic quality - this is from my phone.

Last edited by Mdl; 07-25-21 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 10:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Impossible to be certain of the size from the pics. I’d be tempted to buy that bike at that price. That’s a quality bike at a very reasonable price. It braze ones for racks which is what you called hooks
Old 07-25-21, 11:42 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
Impossible to be certain of the size from the pics. I’d be tempted to buy that bike at that price. That’s a quality bike at a very reasonable price. It braze ones for racks which is what you called hooks
I assumed they were rack braze ons but I haven’t encountered that type/location previously. It seems like a nice touch. I suppose this wouldn’t have the investment value of the Kellogg. I can’t put my finger on it but there is something cool about it that I like.

I need to take a personal day and do some PA bike shopping. Maybe check them both out.
Old 07-25-21, 12:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Mdl
I assumed they were rack braze ons but I haven’t encountered that type/location previously. It seems like a nice touch. I suppose this wouldn’t have the investment value of the Kellogg. I can’t put my finger on it but there is something cool about it that I like.

I need to take a personal day and do some PA bike shopping. Maybe check them both out.
...whoever specced the build out on that one took advantage of what was good in the components of the time. That TA tourist crank was what made a lot of the earliest mountain bikes go down in Marin. And that Cyclone rear derailleur, coupled with Suntour barcons, was the best way to deal with a wide range gearing setup at the time. It's listed cheaply because few people recognize what it is, but I have no idea of the size from the pictures. I would go with the owners description. on size.

It's not a good idea to buy a bicycle based on the idea that it might appreciate in value. Most of them don't. The people with money move onto other stuff, that they liked in their youth.
Old 07-25-21, 02:21 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...whoever specced the build out on that one took advantage of what was good in the components of the time. That TA tourist crank was what made a lot of the earliest mountain bikes go down in Marin. And that Cyclone rear derailleur, coupled with Suntour barcons, was the best way to deal with a wide range gearing setup at the time. It's listed cheaply because few people recognize what it is, but I have no idea of the size from the pictures. I would go with the owners description. on size.

It's not a good idea to buy a bicycle based on the idea that it might appreciate in value. Most of them don't. The people with money move onto other stuff, that they liked in their youth.
The seller just replied: "...the top tube is actually 53.34 c to c and the seat tube is 49.53 c to c ". I'm comfortably riding a 54x54 so...I don't think it's going to fit. Sadly. BTW, is this a case where the components and saddle are worth more than the bike? I'm looking at Ebay...
Old 07-25-21, 03:56 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Mdl
The seller just replied: "...the top tube is actually 53.34 c to c and the seat tube is 49.53 c to c ". I'm comfortably riding a 54x54 so...I don't think it's going to fit. Sadly. BTW, is this a case where the components and saddle are worth more than the bike? I'm looking at Ebay...
Let me know whether anyone is interested. I'd do my best to facilitate.
Old 07-25-21, 04:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Mdl
....I don't do that parting out stuff, so you'd need to ask someone else. I try to avoid ebay when I can, as both buyer and seller. But sometimes youi need a specific thing that wouild take years to find locally, so I make exceptions in some cases. Otherwise, it's just a place where too may things can go wrong. I might feel differently if I didn't have a bike co-op not too far away, where a vast collection off used and unwanted components filter through.

It's a bad idea to buy something that is not your size, thinking you can somehow make it work. Been there, done that, and the t-shirt I got didn't fit either.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-25-21, 06:59 PM
Mdl
Montedino

[QUOTE=3alarmer;22157320]....I don't do that parting out stuff, so you'd need to ask someone else. I try to avoid ebay when I can, as both buyer and seller. But sometimes youi need a specific thing that wouild take years to find locally, so I make exceptions in some cases. Otherwise, it's just a place where too may things can go wrong. I might feel differently if I didn't have a bike co-op not too far away, where a vast collection off used and unwanted components filter through.

It's a bad idea to buy something that is not your size, thinking you can somehow make it work. Been there, done that, and the t-shirt I got didn't fit either. [/QUOTE
] lol!
sorry to see this. I’m taking your advice - I had to learn the hard way regarding previous buys. Every so often, I need to be reminded - thank you!
Old 07-27-21, 04:59 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 294 Posts
As coincidence would have it, I no sooner get educated on the Ross Signature series and one pops up a couple hours away for $350. It’s the Ishiwata model so where does it place on the desirability scale?

This one is at least one size too small for me but now these are on my radar.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...356818514.html
Old 07-27-21, 06:47 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by plonz
As coincidence would have it, I no sooner get educated on the Ross Signature series and one pops up a couple hours away for $350. It’s the Ishiwata model so where does it place on the desirability scale?

This one is at least one size too small for me but now these are on my radar.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...356818514.html
I like Ishiwata tubing. I test rode a 3Rensho with Ishiwata and it was a sweet ride.