Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Dynamo connection in series or parallel?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 01:15 PM
razrook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I can't seem to find this simple detail - can a front light and a back light be connected to a bottle dynamo in different ways?

If the dynamo has one output, and the ground is running through the frame, do I have to insert both front and back wires directly to the dynamo?

Or I can run a wire to the front light and from there to the back light?

​​​​​​It's a vintage bike, so those are old type bulbs, I think it's around 3W in front and 0.3W in the back.
Any information would be appreciated, cheers!
Old 04-25-23, 01:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
bump

Old 04-25-23, 01:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
bump
Maybe move to the Electronics and Lighting subforum? There are some dyno users over there.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-25-23, 02:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
Thread moved from General to Electronics.

Old 04-25-23, 03:13 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
The loads should be connected in parallel so they are operating at the same voltage.
I'm using a hub dyno, so two wires to the light. And the light has a DC feed to the tail light. (Brand is SuperNova - caused me a bit of a head ache as I didn't know I had purchased a DC tail light from my LBS.... so they up sold me on a new head lamp. Good thing I like them a lot!)

It sounds like the dyno is grounded to the fork (or maybe rear tire, so frame?) - through the attaching bolt? Is that the same for the front / rear lights? (I guess I'm not sure about conducting to the rear light through the head set and what not....)
Anyway - seems like you should have a return (or ground) from the rear light to the fork. Then a common power from the dyno making a "power node" for the lights. The lights would be at the same voltage (A/C).

I say parallel attachment - and you can tell everyone you read it on the internets!

twice:https://www.quora.com/It-is-known-th...ed-in-parallel
Old 04-25-23, 04:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Parallel. If the bulbs are incandescent, tail light should be 6v, 0.6 watt and front light 6v and 2.4 watts.

The bulb contacts and contacts in the light to the bulbs should be cleaned up to avoid any resistance from corrosion.

Note that if you go fast down a hill, you can produce overvoltage and blow out the bulbs. Years ago some have installed zener diodes to protect against that. I had a pair of zener diodes on my wiring but that was so long ago I do not recall the details. I think my zener diodes were 8 volt. You might be able to find more on that topic with help from Google. Or, do not go fast down hills and skip the zener diodes.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-27-23, 09:58 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Always parallel. You can either run the tail light cable in parallel from the dynamo or from the front light. And you may want to look into modern LED lights. There are "vintage" looking ones since these old style incandescent bulbs are not much brighter than a candle light. Even old bottle dynamos do provide around 3W output and will support new LED lights. The same as modern hub dynamos. I retrofitted an older 1980s Gazelle with modern but vintage looking LED lights.
Old 05-02-23, 02:18 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Note that if you go fast down a hill, you can produce overvoltage and blow out the bulbs. Years ago some have installed zener diodes to protect against that. I had a pair of zener diodes on my wiring but that was so long ago I do not recall the details. I think my zener diodes were 8 volt. You might be able to find more on that topic with help from Google. Or, do not go fast down hills and skip the zener diodes.
on the chance that there are questions about this, a bidirectional zener diode rated around 8v and 3 watts is suitable. I can look up the part number if anyone is interested.
I think some headlights had this built in... maybe a Lumotec? It's been quite a while since I had to think about it.
Modern LED headlights tend to have a suitable protection diode built in, and provide protection for the taillight.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-03-23, 05:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
on the chance that there are questions about this, a bidirectional zener diode rated around 8v and 3 watts is suitable. I can look up the part number if anyone is interested.
I think some headlights had this built in... maybe a Lumotec? It's been quite a while since I had to think about it.
Modern LED headlights tend to have a suitable protection diode built in, and provide protection for the taillight.

Steve in Peoria
I was not aware there was a bi-directional zener diode, but my education on this sort of thing is near zero and I could not recall how I wired a pair of zener diodes when I did that.

Yes, the modern LED lights have overvoltage built into the headlamps. I think that most or possibly all LED taillights do not, thus they have to be wired to the headlight so that the headlight provides the overvoltage protection to the taillight.

Looking at my previous comments, at that time I should also have made another comment: If one bulb burns out, either from overvoltage, vibration, or just plain long life, all of the power will then go into the other bulb which will then have a greatly reduced lifespan. So, if you buy incandescent bulbs for it, assume you will be replacing both bulbs every time you need to replace one.