Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Video editing for kids?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Video editing for kids?

Old 05-05-23, 11:27 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Video editing for kids?

Part of getting my 5 year old psyched to ride is to set him up with a helmet camera. Silly I know but this kid loves all things electronic. It’s a bit of a compromise to keep him from being too indoorsy. Right now we’re only viewing raw videos through the 1” screen.

Obviously I’d be with him to guide him along the process, but is there a super simple video editing program we can use? It doesn’t need to be amazing. It would be cool to to edit out all the dead time and get a few clips from a couple rides. Add a song. Send it grandma. That’s about it.

Keep in mind I’ve never used video editing in my life. So it would have to be simple enough for me to learn too.

With the attention span of a kid, ideally it would be a free version but I’m ok with a nominal price if it makes it much easier for us.

I have a basic PC or my wife has a Mac. I’d rather use mine because it’s a touchscreen that’s a bit more intuitive for a little guy.

Whats out there. I want him to be able to do a lot. He is a very smart 5 year old but is only 5.
Old 05-05-23, 11:51 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I need that, although I might need a kid to explain it to me
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-05-23, 12:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
was talking to a 30 yr old & he was showing me vids he edited on his phone. no idea how he did it

I use the simple video editing program that came w/ my computer
Old 05-05-23, 12:15 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was talking to a 30 yr old & he was showing me vids he edited on his phone. no idea how he did it

I use the simple video editing program that came w/ my computer
I use Clipchamp, included with Windows on my new desktop. It's free (you can pay for upgrades if you want) but it does what I need it to do, and even I could figure it out (after some trial and error, of course!)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-05-23, 01:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I'd like to find PC software for windows 10 that does that & is able to blend videos together [drag & drop a video into another video at a specific time point].
nothing free or very inexpensive has been found yet.
Old 05-05-23, 08:59 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Your wife’s Mac has iMovie built into it. You can try it for free. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Kids are surprisingly smart, but editing at 5 years? Nothing to lose by trying.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-23, 01:14 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
addendum

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Your wife’s Mac has iMovie built into it. You can try it for free. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Kids are surprisingly smart, but editing at 5 years? Nothing to lose by trying.

Good luck!
I may have been unclear. iMovie is part of the Mac OS and is included with the OS. You can try it for free because you already own it. iMovie is also included with iOS, meaning iPhones and iPads. I have used it on a desktop for video editing, it's pretty good without the complexity of Adobe Premiere. I last used iMovie to make an audio playlist for the boy's lacrosse team entrance/warmup, 7 songs in 15 minutes, testosterone boiling.