Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Stages power meter issues

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-17-23, 12:53 PM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

Got a single sided 105 power meter recently. It pics up power just fine BUT speed and cadence are something else. I could be going 30km/h and it would constantly very the speed from 0 (stopped) to 30kmh. On recent 120km ride, I was missing 30km comparing to another rider. When I turn the cadence / speed sensor OFF on my Garmin 530, all is well. Any ideas?
Old 05-17-23, 01:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Stages does say that their PM will supply cadence to a Garmin device don't they? I'd think they do. My 4iiii single side crank arm PM has been rock solid with my Garmin Edge 530 for cadence. Though the few times it didn't connect I also didn't have a power reading either.

You do have this paired with Ant+ don't you? If it's a Bluetooth pairing then that opens another can of worms. Though I'm not sure if the Edge 530 will even do Bluetooth sensor pairings.
Old 05-17-23, 02:26 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,519 Times in 725 Posts
My power meter (4iiii) does a bad job with cadence and I think most PMs have same issue. The Stages PM has a magnet option for the chainstay to get more accurate cadence. I use a cheapo cadence thing. Not sure about how PM determines speed.
Old 05-18-23, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Crank arm PM isn't going to do anything for distance. It can't tell how fast the wheels are moving. So if the OP is having a lot of other issues besides the cadence, then something else is up. Perhaps if they ride with others and paired their PM or other sensors originally when around other similar things then maybe they paired to the wrong thing. Though that's probably a stretch of my imagination to actually have it be the issue.

So maybe knowing some more details of the other things going on might help.

I've not had any indication that my 4iiii PM gives bad cadence information. I did recently remove the GSC 10 and now no longer have a wheel sensor and I have noted some issues with speed displayed, which seems unusual as GPS usually display speed with great accuracy. Perhaps some of it might be interference from the GoPro I've had mounted to the bars right next to the Edge 530. However, I can't really troubleshoot it right now as I was told to stay off my bike for a few weeks.
Old 05-23-23, 07:17 AM
crazyravr

Hmmmmm I wonder if maybe my existing Giant RideSense is causing the issue. I will try to remove the batter from that and see if it helps with anything.
Also, if I dont pair the Stages cadence and pair the RideSense, the computer sees the RideSense but I get NO readings. Everything else is perfect (power, speed, distance).
If I dont pair the RiseSense and pair the stages for cadence, I get the cadence but like I said above, speed / distance and cadence are all way off.
Frustrating and contacting Stages I get no replies. Poor customer service.
Old 05-23-23, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Have you tried calling Garmin support and seeing if they know whether or not the Edge 530 is able to do cadence from the Stages PM you have? Also ask about what has priority and how it should behave if it loses the signal from the device that has priority. Don't know if all their CSR people will know the answer to that, but the call is free and if you let them call you back you won't have to sit on hold in the phone queue.

And are you certain that it's not GPS reception that you are losing and giving you grief?
Old 05-23-23, 11:00 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
My dual sided Stages provides Power and cadence to my Edge 840 without issue.
I did have to make sure cadence was not coming from my Wahoo Tickr X HRM and confusing the 840

Make sure you have nothing else permitted to provide cadence data in your devices.

Barry
Old 05-23-23, 06:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I can't imagine a Stages sending speed info. You can always set up an ant+ sniffer with a software defined radio Typing that out led me to the Ant+ website and now I'm an ant+ adopter.

Cadence will be an estimate at best, although it really depends on how smooth your pedaling style is. At higher efforts, most of us probably have big enough peaks in our power that cadence will work pretty well.
Old 05-24-23, 10:21 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Cadence will be an estimate at best, although it really depends on how smooth your pedaling style is. At higher efforts, most of us probably have big enough peaks in our power that cadence will work pretty well.
Stages claim that, at least for the current generation, an accelerometer is used for cadence measurement.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 05-26-23, 07:50 AM
crazyravr

Finally got this resolved. Updating in case someone finds this helpful.

- remove the battery from the Giant RideSense sensor
- remove all sensors paired to my Garmin 530
- add back ONLY Ant+ sensors (cadence, power, hrm)
- add Varia sensor

Went for a 70km ride, all is well now, for now. Will do a longer test over the weekend on a 150km ride.
Likes For crazyravr: