Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best Rear Light for $25?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best Rear Light for $25?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 06:35 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, at $2.74 each, it's tempting to buy a pile of them. I *think* I notice I get a lot of attention when I have more than one flashing taillight.

I once had a light that flashed blue and red, and an oncoming car pulled over because he didn't know what I was driving. I decided I won't use blue and red anymore.
They're pretty bright, especially when fully charged. Can't go wrong with the red ones. I like to mount the light with button on top on the 4th setting. This setting flashes an intermittent light going upwards, which I think is a cool effect. Also, don't pull too hard on the rubber rings when mounting. I've broken a plastic tab doing that. Still use the light with 3 of 4 intact tabs, though.
Old 05-25-23, 08:11 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I don't think much of the Lumintop battery capacity specifications. 180 mAh battery to drive a total of 130 lumens is a recipe for a short run time between charges. I often suggest a pair of Lezyne Drive clones readily available from US sources on eBay for under $10 a pair including shipping. The internal USB rechargeable battery is 500 mAh. That meant I can use them in flashing mode for several days worth of rides before recharging them. One white and one red light $9.58 postpaid https://www.ebay.com/itm/165623980506
Old 05-26-23, 06:22 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I bought the Lumintop lights... I like them so far. I don't ride in the dark very often, so run time isn't an issue for me; I anticipate using them maybe a few times a year. So far they're adequate for my needs (visibility).
Old 11-27-23, 07:55 PM
BK007

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I bought the Lumintop lights... I like them so far. I don't ride in the dark very often, so run time isn't an issue for me; I anticipate using them maybe a few times a year. So far they're adequate for my needs (visibility).
Need little more to get the best
Check out ORCYCLE C2 at Amz
Old 03-25-24, 08:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Bought a Cygolite Hotshot 150 specifically for the seat stay mount, because I use a Carradice seatbag. $27 on Amazon. The seat stay mount mount is way too big for my 1973 frame. It's not that hard to get the mount to fit, but it's annoying.
Cateye has a mount that supposedly fits tubes as small as 12 mm in diameter. That would work fine on my bike, but I don't know if the Cygolite fitting is the same as Cateye's.

I talked with Cygolite. Their solution is rubber strips inside the seat stay collar. Tude on with the seat post mount, but I'd have to cut it. I'm using my normal circumvention - cotton handlebar tape. Not perfect, but I've got the clamp mount on a strut of my Blackburn rack. I think that will work well.

I'm not buying a new bike to make the accessories fit better. IMO, brifters are ugly. Very ugly. If brifters would win a race for me, I'd still go with DT shifters, but I don't race anyway. I'll accept the annoyances foisted upon me by the bike industry rather than buy a new bike. Besides, if I bought a new bike, it would be a Mercian, which might still have thin stays....

Last edited by philbob57; 03-29-24 at 03:23 PM.