Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Set on Guerciotti Frame

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Set on Guerciotti Frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 09:01 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Definitely early 80s, judging by the fully-sloping fork crown and the fully-chromed rear triangle (which seems sadly lacking on most of the non-drive chainstay - bummer!). I do believe around this time frame, Guerciotti also had a model called 'Jet' - might be what you have here.

Still and all, I think if you do a good clean-up of the components, without using any lye-based cleaners, you can save what remains of the original finish without causing more issues. FWIW, I use a medium or hard toothbrush and some SoftSoap, rinsing off frequently with warm water. Works like a charm - and does no damage. When you get the chance, you might give that approach a go, then share your results with us

As for the frame, the pros who clean up rusted frames with the oxalic acid approach can advise better than I, but I know it's gonna take a bit of work to get it looking presentable. Not that it won't ride just fine, no matter if it doesn't look pristine.

Good luck!

DD
I think it's likely a 1983-84 frame, hopefully before TSD took over. The lugs points look decent. The frame looks like crap, honestly, and I would take whatever for it. I'm sure it rides pretty okay. I'm not a Gooch fan, but mine were TSD era. I hear the earlier are nicer. Since the 50th is 1983, I would assume the Gooch is, as well.

The components are no where near as nice as the ones I posted, and those look a lot of work to sell. Lots of pitting on the OP's parts. I think you need to use a bench buffer with proper compounds and know what you are doing to get max $. I would guess 20+ hours of polishing to get it right.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 05-13-23, 12:25 PM
cyclen00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey all,

Finally got around to giving this bike a light clean to see what was under the grease and dirt. I could be wrong, but was pleasantly surprised! There is some light rust, but overall most parts (or at least the big parts) were rust free. Most rust seems to be around nuts or bolts rather than the face of the part itself. I used a light toothbrush with some dish soap to get the dirt and grease off and used a soft towel to dry it down. Certainly not the most mint example as I think its a missing a cap or two here and there, and the bike was certainly was used. That said, the cap replacements seem the easiest to find.

As I understand the Guerciotti frame is not worth much, but would anyone be interested in buying the entire bike as whole? I don't want to break apart the set, and also don't want to damage any of the pieces trying to clean them further / remove them from the bike. The only part of the bike I'd like to keep is the Concor leather seat; it doesn't seem to be worth all that much anyway, and I promised it to my 75 yo neighbor who rides an awesome custom fixie in NYC and is in need of a new seat; this one would fit the aesthetics of his build (and his whole ethos really) perfectly.

Thanks and let me know if you can view the photos I posted or if I missed any!
Old 05-13-23, 01:56 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Honestly, even if it fit me, I don't think I would offer much, The components are of no value to a collector, they are way too far gone, IMO.

I have no idea what someone would pay for a roached out grouppo, not much, I'd guess.

BTW, you are not allowed to sell here without buying a membership.
Old 05-14-23, 08:13 PM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Honestly, even if it fit me, I don't think I would offer much, The components are of no value to a collector, they are way too far gone, IMO.

I have no idea what someone would pay for a roached out grouppo, not much, I'd guess.

BTW, you are not allowed to sell here without buying a membership.
Hm not really encouraging to buy a membership if it's really that bad
Old 05-14-23, 08:31 PM
cyclen00b

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I know the parts aren't in the best shape due to wear and tear and also sadly neglect, but a quick search on ebay shows just a seatpost for $400, pedals for $800 and brake levers for $1499, etc. Presumably the brakes and pedals are well over priced but still sounds like its worth something? Even if it's just novelty parts on a vintage build that actually gets ridden? Idk. Just looking to get an idea of what it might be worth as a set and if its worth trying to sell on the marketplace. I could try to clean it up further, but others have noted it might not be the best idea and could make them worse.
Old 05-15-23, 02:06 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Just get a bike shop to strip the bike and sell the groupset in its current condition. Do whatever you want with the frame later (restore, sell, pass along, whatever it might be).

I agree with wiping the components down with dawn and a soft tooth brush, but nothing more than that.

The first result I get when searching “Campagnolo 50th Anniversary” on eBay is a “used but perfect condition,” set with the box for $6K. Who knows how long it’s been listed or how many hits the seller has received.

Why not start with a price under $6K that you’re comfortable with? List high, sell for whatever you agree on. Maybe list at $4K and see what happens? If no one touches it, you know it’s the wrong price. With specialty items like this sometimes you have to let the market decide what they’re worth. As the old saying goes, “It’s worth whatever someone pays for it.”

Good luck with the sale and awesome find!