Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 09:53 AM
DaneAmerica

Bikes: Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Peugeot Bike

Hello,

Looking to see what exactly I have here and what it's worth!

Old 05-19-23, 10:18 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

1973 PX-10E

appears all original save for front gear mech, wheels & saddle

wheels well below calibre of cycle with their five-piece steel hubs

original saddle would have been Brooks Professional

original wheels Normandy Luxe Competition 36 hole hubs with MAVIC Montlhery tubular rims, Robergel Trois Etoiles DB light gauge stainless spokes & Hutchinson 280 gram cotton tubular tyres

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-19-23 at 10:32 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-19-23, 10:29 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by DaneAmerica
...what it's worth!
A really good ride...
Old 05-19-23, 10:56 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Juvela beat me to it and is way more expert than myself, but I also say it is a '73 based on the serial number. It cannot be a 1963, and although some of the info says a 6 digit serial number means it is 1960s vintage, I think this one is 70s based upon decals and some other details.

Yes, the front derailer is a replacement, probably because the original broke, which was common. I believe they were still using Delrin in 73.

Regarding the serial number issue, it should have been on a removable aluminum plate, as described in this information from Classic Rendezvous...Serial Numbers
Peugeots are typically marked with a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. Bikes built in the 1960's have the numbers stamped directly in the BB shell, and often have Nervex trademark and bottom bracket tube angle markings as well.There are six digits used on bikes from the 50's and 60's and seven digits used on bikes from the 70's. Bicycles built during the 80's have eight digits and a letter prefix. Around 1970, Peugeot began stamping the numbers on an aluminum plate which was riveted to the underside of the bottom bracket shell. It is unclear whether this applied to all bicycles. Some examples have gaps in the serial numbers. The flaw to this arrangement is the ease with which serial number plates are removed. Numerous Peugeots originally numbered with riveted plates can now be identified only by their decal schemes.Some examples have lower numerical serial numbers while having later decal schemes. By the end of the 1970's, Peugeot serial numbers were once again stamped in a more permanent fashion. Peugeots built in France during the 1980's can be dated by year through use of their serial numbers. Following a letter prefix, typically Y or B, the first number of the numeral code indicates the bicycle's model year (ex. PKN-10 #B 0667631, built in 1980). Track bicycles, at least, appeared to have their numbers stamped on the left rear dropout.
Old 05-19-23, 11:00 AM
DaneAmerica

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a joy to witness masters spread knowledge.

Thank you guys! It's a pleasure to ride, and now I can say more than "Peugeot" when they ask me what I ride 😂
Likes For DaneAmerica:
Old 05-19-23, 12:45 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Juvela beat me to it and is way more expert than myself, but I also say it is a '73 based on the serial number. It cannot be a 1963, and although some of the info says a 6 digit serial number means it is 1960s vintage, I think this one is 70s based upon decals and some other details.

Yes, the front derailer is a replacement, probably because the original broke, which was common. I believe they were still using Delrin in 73.

Regarding the serial number issue, it should have been on a removable aluminum plate, as described in this information from Classic Rendezvous...Serial Numbers
Peugeots are typically marked with a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. Bikes built in the 1960's have the numbers stamped directly in the BB shell, and often have Nervex trademark and bottom bracket tube angle markings as well.There are six digits used on bikes from the 50's and 60's and seven digits used on bikes from the 70's. Bicycles built during the 80's have eight digits and a letter prefix. Around 1970, Peugeot began stamping the numbers on an aluminum plate which was riveted to the underside of the bottom bracket shell. It is unclear whether this applied to all bicycles. Some examples have gaps in the serial numbers. The flaw to this arrangement is the ease with which serial number plates are removed. Numerous Peugeots originally numbered with riveted plates can now be identified only by their decal schemes.Some examples have lower numerical serial numbers while having later decal schemes. By the end of the 1970's, Peugeot serial numbers were once again stamped in a more permanent fashion. Peugeots built in France during the 1980's can be dated by year through use of their serial numbers. Following a letter prefix, typically Y or B, the first number of the numeral code indicates the bicycle's model year (ex. PKN-10 #B 0667631, built in 1980). Track bicycles, at least, appeared to have their numbers stamped on the left rear dropout.
-----

the earliest Criterium model front mechs retained a bit of Delrin

hey, at least Lucien decided to enter the twentieth century by going to a pantograph design from ye olde poke stick...

Lucien catalogue page of 1971 -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-19-23 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 05-19-23, 01:06 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It's a joy to witness masters spread knowledge.

Thank you guys! It's a pleasure to ride, and now I can say more than "Peugeot" when they ask me what I ride 😂
It is always nice when someone comes back and says thank you. All I hope for is to be helpful and to learn something in the process. And it means a lot when someone like you expresses their appreciation.

So thanks for saying thanks! And enjoy your beautiful bike. Peugeot is one of my favorites.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-19-23, 11:22 PM
DaneAmerica

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Common decency isn't completely lost in this world. You guys rock. Love this forum.

Anyway, one final question. What's it worth?

Should I put it in a glass case or jb weld the sprocket? Lol
Old 05-20-23, 01:05 AM
AlexIg

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

1973 PX-10E

appears all original save for front gear mech, wheels & saddle

wheels well below calibre of cycle with their five-piece steel hubs

original saddle would have been Brooks Professional

original wheels Normandy Luxe Competition 36 hole hubs with MAVIC Montlhery tubular rims, Robergel Trois Etoiles DB light gauge stainless spokes & Hutchinson 280 gram cotton tubular tyres

-----
This is why I like this forum.
Old 05-20-23, 07:08 AM
juvela

-----

Dane -

should your visual receptors chance to mosey to the austral terminus of the steerer they shall espy in residence there a hardwood plug which hath been at repose all of these lo fifty yar

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-20-23, 09:16 AM
DaneAmerica

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Behast upon mine oculars, wooded bung is standing strong like the mother oak.
Old 05-20-23, 09:24 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Common decency isn't completely lost in this world. You guys rock. Love this forum.

Anyway, one final question. What's it worth?

Should I put it in a glass case or jb weld the sprocket? Lol
In its current condition I'll hazard a guess at $250 in my market. Cleaned up, with wheels of a quality more befitting the bike, maybe twice that. Only a slightly educated guess.
Doesn't want the glass case or the JB Weld. Ride it. You'll enjoy it.
Brent

Old 05-20-23, 09:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
With those wheels, this is maybe worth around $200 but I'm not in a high dollar market. Well worth fixing up and riding.