Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Your favorite taillight under $50

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-26-23, 11:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts

I've decided that taillights over $25 are worthwhile for me when the extra money gets more reliability, durability, and a company that will back its product. Products with lower defect rates tend to have better testing of their batteries, as lithium battery quality is quite variable.

What's your favorite taillight for $50 or less? You can say what you like about it and anything else that is interesting. Pictures are nice, and so are links to the product page or a selling page.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-23, 03:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
The brightest Cygolite available for under $50 would be my choice.

Though for considerably more money, I think this is the best taillight on the market -- assuming a person has a compatible computer.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-26-23, 07:03 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I can't say that I've actually tried a lot of them, but I just bought a Knog Mid Cobber on sale for $52 at REI to replace one I used to have but can no longer find. It's a good light. Very bright and several flash modes and it looks good on the bike. It also has a built-in USB-A plug so you can charge it without an extra cable if you want. I have no idea if it is any better than other similar lights. For some reason, I have always bought Knog lights. I have a few different Knog front lights too. I only use it on my town bike. I use a Garmin Varia radar on my road and gravel bikes. I think Knog is generally good, but probably over priced unless you find a sale.
Old 05-26-23, 08:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Planet Bike Superflash with a pair of AAA batteries. I recharge NiMH batteries for it. It has a very tightly focused narrow beam so it is quite bright to the traffic immediately behind you, but that assumes you mount it on your bike with care so that it is aimed straight back.
https://www.planetbike.com/superflash-bike-tail-light/

They make some other varieties, including USB rechargeable.
Old 05-26-23, 08:51 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
What's your favorite taillight for $50 or less? You can say what you like about it and anything else that is interesting. Pictures are nice, and so are links to the product page or a selling page.
Originally Posted by Koyote
The brightest Cygolite available for under $50 would be my choice.

Though for considerably more money, I think this is the best taillight on the market -- assuming a person has a compatible computer.
Like Koyote, I had a Cygolite Hotspot tail light in whatever brightness was current a couple of years back. I liked it, and bought a second copy, and that one would not hold a charge after a year/out of warranty, and was $11 bucks to have "repaired," plus shipping charge and inconvenience. So I never sent it back. But the first one is still going strong on my wife's bike, so a mixed report. I thought it was very bright, with a focussed reflector.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Planet Bike Superflash with a pair of AAA batteries. I recharge NiMH batteries for it. It has a very tightly focused narrow beam so it is quite bright to the traffic immediately behind you, but that assumes you mount it on your bike with care so that it is aimed straight back.
https://www.planetbike.com/superflash-bike-tail-light/
Tourist, I had this light or its immediate predecessor, prior to the Cygolite. It seemed good, but twice the shell came apart and dumped parts on the road. I took to using it with an elastic band around it so it could not assplode. I liked the replaceable batteries, used Eneloop recharegables.

My current lights are the Dinotte Quads, front and rear. Very bright, and rechargeable, and hella expensive.

Dinotte Quad Red tail light mounted on seat stay

Dinotte Quad Amber front light

They have good solid mounts that can be positioned well. But pricy. From this list so far, I'd get the Cygolite Hotspot, and keep the receipt.

Anecdotally, I compared the Cygolite and the Dinotte on a sunny day, both were bright and visible, but the Dinotte made a larger spot, easier to see with its 4 LEDs vs. the Cygolite's pinpoint of light. Still, for the money, Cygolite.

Good luck, Tom.

Last edited by BCDrums; 05-29-23 at 02:53 PM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 05-27-23, 05:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Tourist, I had this light or its immediate predecessor, prior to the Cygolite. It seemed good, but twice the shell came apart and dumped parts on the road. I took to using it with an elastic band around it so it could not assplode. I liked the replaceable batteries, used Eneloop recharegables.
I had two XLC brand copies of the Superflash, one died on a rainy bike tour when water got in and corroded the internals. The other fell apart like yours did, the parts never to be found again. But the Planet Bike ones are staying intact. I have one Planet Bike one that is much older than the Superflash but same shape, and I put a rubber band around that one to make sure it stays in one piece.

Side note on Li Ion vs replaceable batteries. About a decade ago, I ran an errand but planned to get home before sunset, did not worry about battery charge. Things ran late, had to ride home in the dark and batteries were low. Stopped into a Walgreens and bought some disposable AAA batteries to get me home safely. I normally use either Ikea or Eneloop NiMH rechargeable AAA batteries, but the option to buy some disposables when in need is handy.

The Superflash has a bright flash but not so bright that the batteries are dead later the same day. On a bike tour, I will use it almost every day. A week later it is still quite bright but I recharge them weekly to make sure they stay bright.

One thing I like about the Planet Bike ones is that instead of just an elastic to hold it on the bike or a seatpost sized clamp, the Planet Bike ones also have a smaller seat stay sized bracket.
Old 05-27-23, 08:15 AM
Koyote

One thing I like about the Planet Bike ones is that instead of just an elastic to hold it on the bike or a seatpost sized clamp, the Planet Bike ones also have a smaller seat stay sized bracket.
That is a rap against the Cygolites. I haven't bought one in a few years, but they always came with a bracket that could mount on the seatpost OR the seatstay. If you wanted to switch between them (have both options), you had to buy a second bracket.
Old 05-27-23, 10:26 AM
BCDrums

I have one Planet Bike one that is much older than the Superflash but same shape, and I put a rubber band around that one to make sure it stays in one piece.

Planet Bike Superflash Turbo light

This is the one I have, $30. AAA battery included for scale, it uses two. I haven't used it in three years or more, but I pressed the button and it came to life.

The Superflash has a bright flash but not so bright that the batteries are dead later the same day. On a bike tour, I will use it almost every day. A week later it is still quite bright but I recharge them weekly to make sure they stay bright.

Side note on Li Ion vs replaceable batteries. About a decade ago, I ran an errand but planned to get home before sunset, did not worry about battery charge. Things ran late, had to ride home in the dark and batteries were low. Stopped into a Walgreens and bought some disposable AAA batteries to get me home safely. I normally use either Ikea or Eneloop NiMH rechargeable AAA batteries, but the option to buy some disposables when in need is handy.
I agree about the replaceable, ubiquitous AAA batteries. It could be that these lights last long because of the size of the battery, vs. the little rechargeable ones in some (little) lights. But I wonder if the need to open and close the case frequently to change batts contributes to the tendency of the PB light to come open on a bump, or if it's just not the best case design.

Seeing the PB running again, it's a good light, inexpensive at $30.

Last edited by BCDrums; 05-29-23 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 05-27-23, 10:43 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Cygolite Hypershot 350

Originally Posted by Koyote
That is a rap against the Cygolites. I haven't bought one in a few years, but they always came with a bracket that could mount on the seatpost OR the seatstay. If you wanted to switch between them (have both options), you had to buy a second bracket.
I like their rear light, too, and bought their Hypershot 350 lumen one a couple weeks ago.
It came with mounts for the stay or post. They improved the clip to make it more secure.
On Amazon for $48. One can buy their less bright versions for less.
But, I'm like you, get their brightest one.
Old 05-27-23, 12:43 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I like their rear light, too, and bought their Hypershot 350 lumen one a couple weeks ago.
It came with mounts for the stay or post. They improved the clip to make it more secure.
On Amazon for $48. One can buy their less bright versions for less.
But, I'm like you, get their brightest one.
I should've been clearer in my earlier post. Yes, Cygolite does provide both seat stay and seatpost mounts...But each light comes with only one of the other pieces that you need to attach the light to the mount. So, if you want to easily move one of their lights from bike to bike, you need to either buy one with the rubber strap mount, or buy another piece to use with the hard mount.
Old 05-27-23, 03:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
...What's your favorite taillight for $50 or less?
"noglider" posts another worthy thread. Just think about... We get more than enough information on new, light weight, exciting equipment that is the Cats Meowww and yet so far out of our reach in price it makes you wonder why you even considered knowing about them.

What about that economical tail light you have had that has been a bullet proof and still remains on your favorite bike?
What about that cheap ChiCom Harbor Freight knock off tool that is still in use like new?
What about those beat up bike shoes you won't throw away cause you can't find another pair that will hold up the same at any price?

As to the OP, yep, for me its the Bell Taillight or the Cat Eye. Takes regular batteries, has fairly good brightness, can fit just about any bike, and its less than 20 USD.

I take notice and notes on any low cost but proven item mentioned on this forum... Thanks you'se guys...
Old 05-28-23, 08:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@BCDrums, I've been impressed with Cygolite for years. I had a couple of Hotspots, the kind that charged with a USB mini connector. One of them went bad, and I wrote to the company. They said they could replace the battery for about half the cost, so I agreed. They sent me a brand new unit. It's bright and sturdy, and it's great to have a responsive company. They make their products in USA.

I suggest you try getting a refund or replacement if you still have yours.

Now they have the Hotrod which I think charges with a USB micro connector.

I think I like USB C type connectors for durability and reliability, so I'm interested in knowing which taillights have this. I think I want a versatile mount since I move my lights from bike to bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 05-28-23, 11:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Favorite $50 taillamp? Hmm. Probably two $25 taillamps!
  • redundancy
  • set one steady, one flashing
  • two points of light for depth perception
Random musings: Here in Parts Unknown, one must either display a taillamp or a reflector. Other jurisdictions, the law is weasel-worded to require both. I wouldn't worry about the man ringing me up. but I would consider a crafty insurance company lawyer trying to make his DWI client's running me over my fault if I didn't have both. There are a few taillamps that are additionally/simultaneously DOT/CPSC/Euro-certified reflectors. <--- Also a failsafe if your battery goes flat.
Old 05-28-23, 04:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'd rather have a $25 taillight and a $50 taillight, making one of them likely to work when I need it most.

Likes For noglider:
Old 05-28-23, 04:10 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

I meant to mention that one of the things I like best about the Knog Cobber series is that they have 330 degree visibility in a slim package, so cars can see you well from the side or different angles. (It also makes it easy to glance over your shoulder to make sure it's still flashing)
Old 05-28-23, 04:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Bontrager Flare RT fits my needs. Maybe not as bright as the highest output Hotshot but good enough for daytime use, is very compact, weighs very little, and has excellent battery life.

I used to use a hotshot but the battery died after about 2 years and it's proprietary, which is a shame. I've been using the Flare for a couple of years now and have not noticed any degredation in battery life so far.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-29-23, 11:14 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
It's been a while since I've bought a new light, so I can only offer some observations on what I see around me.

My lights are a bit older and use batteries. I've used the Superflash and liked the electronics and optics, but had some issues with the mechanics of it. I'm currently using some Cateyes that use a single AA nimh battery, and have been quite happy with them.

Any of these battery lights have used a rather focused beam that is perhaps 5 degrees wide. I think they do this to optimize the visibility directly in line with the light while using little electrical power. This increases the run time, meaning you don't have to take it off the bike and open it up very often to charge the batteries. The downside is that these lights require careful alignment of the light to get that narrow beam of light aimed horizontally.

New bikes are less likely to use round bars and tubes, and the trend seems to use the rubber (or silicone) straps to mount the light to these oddly shaped surfaces. This means that the user isn't going to aim them carefully, so they have to have a much wider beam. This means that they use a lot more electrical power and need to be recharged more often. Fortunately, with the usb connectors and the rubber straps, it's not hard to pull the light off the bike and charge it up. It appears that the manufacturers have decided that if you have to charge it more often, they might as well have the lights be very bright, even if the run time is just a few hours. A bright light is usually safer, and is more impressive in the store.

For most folks, they are well served with a very bright light that can be recharged after each use. For those that need/want a light that can run for 20 or 30 hours, they will probably want a light powered by AA or AAA cells.

I've become a fan of the Cateye lights, partly because of their design experience, and partly because they try to standardize on the light mounts. They also sell the mounts separately, so I can buy a single light and install mounting brackets on all of my bikes. With the modern rubber straps, this is less of an issue.

Looking at their latest tail lights, it appears that they are only offering usb charging now. In my perfect world, they would use a AA Nimh battery inside, but I'm sure that they are using a lithium battery. I suspect that they would perform well anyway.
https://cateyeamerica.com/collection...-safety-lights

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-29-23, 02:21 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I got Sigma Buster RL150 a couple months ago. I've had good experience with their products before, and I'm generally happy wit this rear light too.

Pros:
  • good value for money at around 30€
  • Built-in brake light using an accelerometer, seems to work well so far
  • At max 150 lm output plenty bright
  • 2 steady + 3 flashing modes (I particularly like the nighttime flash mode, where the light gradually dims on and off, thus being potentially less jarring to the eye
  • Quite compact and lightweight
Cons:
  • battery doesn't last very long, although sufficient for my needs;
  • The mount isn't very versatile, it has a fixed vertical angle suited for use only on seatpost
Old 05-29-23, 02:28 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Any of these battery lights have used a rather focused beam that is perhaps 5 degrees wide. I think they do this to optimize the visibility directly in line with the light while using little electrical power. This increases the run time, meaning you don't have to take it off the bike and open it up very often to charge the batteries. The downside is that these lights require careful alignment of the light to get that narrow beam of light aimed horizontally.
Steely Steve,

I agree. I used a Cygolite Metro forward-facing light for a season. It had a focused reflector, and on a shady street, I could see its light reflected in street signs more than a hundred yards away. I aimed it a couple of degrees to the left (from rider's perspective) to maximize its visibility to oncoming traffic in the other lane, rather than straight ahead.

I've become a fan of the Cateye lights, partly because of their design experience, and partly because they try to standardize on the light mounts. They also sell the mounts separately, so I can buy a single light and install mounting brackets on all of my bikes. With the modern rubber straps, this is less of an issue.

Looking at their latest tail lights, it appears that they are only offering usb charging now. In my perfect world, they would use a AA Nimh battery inside, but I'm sure that they are using a lithium battery. I suspect that they would perform well anyway.
https://cateyeamerica.com/collection...-safety-lights
I like Cateye, I have a decades-old Astrale "computer" on my bars. I looked at the link you posted. They position their lights as Safety Lights, and that is really smart. I haven't noticed that elsewhere.

I started using headlights and taillights after I began to see them on the road. I could see the light in the distance well before I could see that it was on a bike. That sold me. I'll never know if a safety taillight has ever saved my tail, will I? But I like knowing that I'm as visible as I can make myself, and my estate can sue the bejesus out of someone who hits me from behind!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 05-29-23, 03:51 PM
mattcalifornia

A tightly focused beam seems like a major drawback for a rear light. I want to be seen from as wide an angle as possible. Many accidents occur at intersections or cars coming out of driveways. Let them see that flashing red light from the side.

Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 05-29-23, 04:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
This has been a very informative and timely thread for me. Thanks for starting it, Noglider.

Cygolite does not include multiple mounts in all of its tail lights, at least according to their 'What's in the Box?' sections.

I bought a Planet Bike something Rojo yesterday, in part because it included a seat stay mount. Alas, it's way too big for my vintage bike, and I imagine it's too big for some modern bikes, too. Ah, well ... better too big than too small. It's a PITA to find the right thickness for the spacer, but it's doable.

I use a small Carradice seat bag ... 9 liters, so a seatpost mount is useless to me.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-29-23, 05:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
A tightly focused beam seems like a major drawback for a rear light. I want to be seen from as wide an angle as possible. Many accidents occur at intersections or cars coming out of driveways. Let them see that flashing red light from the side.
I think that everyone should look at their riding situations and try to optimize their choice of lights.
In an urban environment, where you are worried about threats from all directions, and ones that are typically fairly close, then a light that radiates in all directions is a good choice.

My typical riding is on country roads, where the threat is very likely to be directly behind me, so I usually use a tightly focused taillight. My dynamo headlight does throw light into my spokes, as well just shining to the sides somewhat, so this also provides visibility to the sides (this ends up being important when stopped at the few intersections along the way).

I did take some photos in 2016 to compare two different tail lights.
One was my favorite little battery powered Cateye Rapid 3 with a tight beam, and the other was a new Nashbar Radflash light that was given to me that radiates in all directions.

a shot of the two, side by side...

The Cateye was mounted on the seatstay, and the Nashbar Radflash was strapped under the saddlebag...

Near sunset, I took the bike out, leaned it against a tree, and took some photos from about 50 feet away. This is pretty close... you'd want a car to see you long before they got within 50 feet of you, but I wasn't set up to get good shots from a more realistic distance.

Two shots of the Cateye in steady mode... one that is directly behind the bike, and one that is off-axis (displace to the left a bit). You can see that the brightness drops off quite a bit when off-axis.

These are shots of the Nashbar Radflash, which radiates in all directions. You'll note that it's just as bright on-axis as it is off-axis (as far as I can tell).

and now to directly compare the two lights, both on-axis and off-axis.
This does indicate that the Cateye appears much brighter than the Nashbar light even at this close distance when on-axis, and dimmer when off-axis. These differences will be much greater at greater distances.

My point isn't that one is better than the other, but that they are different, and this should be considered when making a purchase.

A secondary point is that you really need to view a light from a large distance to get some idea of how visible it is. Don't just hold it in your hand and say "that's bright!" when you are in the store.

Steve in Peoria
(remind me to tell you about the driver that knocked my pannier off my bike while I was riding home at night. He came back to check on me, and commented on how he could see me tail light... but still somehow hit me! The point... even if they see you, they might still drive towards you. I've had people do this in the daytime too)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-29-23, 05:27 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
steelbikeguy thanks for posting the taillight photos. It really illuminates (pardon the pun) the differences.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 05-30-23, 06:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

It is easy to make lights look bright on a bike when you take a photo near sunrise or sunset, the camera autocorrects the dimmer background. The lights were not as bright as the photo makes them look. This was taken at about sunrise.

This is how they looked later that day, not so bright.

I was pretty nervous about riding in that fog, but eventually realized that the few cars were not going much faster than I was so it was safer than it looked.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-30-23, 08:30 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Nice bike! I used to ride with the builder's son.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.