Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Your home construction projects

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Your home construction projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 07:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'll nudge this one up again to see if there are any more contributions to this practical thread ...

(And also to ask the question ... what became of gerv and wahoonc?)
Old 11-14-16, 10:55 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'll nudge this one up again to see if there are any more contributions to this practical thread ...
Good choice. If I would have seen this thread in 2014, I would have suggested using an extension pole with a paint roller or brush. The paint doesn't coat as smoothly when you're painting this way, but you can get the area covered and no one is going to look at it close enough to see the brush strokes if it's so high up.

The post about roofing reminds me of why I like tiny houses so much. Imagine just being able to carry home a couple panels of aluminum roofing per day over the course of a few days and having the 200sf or so needed to cover a tiny house. Then, if you want more room to live in, you just start another tiny house after you finish the first one and then connect them with a walkway, if you want.
Old 11-15-16, 05:04 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

(And also to ask the question ... what became of gerv and wahoonc?)
wahoonc has been working and taking care of aging parents and in-laws... Mom and Dad are 83 and 84, in-laws are 84 and 79. They are all healthy just slowing down and things are changing. Mom and Dad have had to quit driving, but live in town and are adjusting well. In-laws live right in front of us, they are still driving but I have had to take over a lot of the heavy work on the farm, in addition to working my full time, on the road job. Game plan is to "retire" from my day job in 5-6 years, won't quit working, just change jobs to something I like better.

Sometimes being the closest and the eldest son has it's downside. Not that I mind, but it does change priorities quite a bit.

As far as home projects... we are building a new barn near the house as soon as we get done battling with the permitting department. It will be a 40'W X 48'L with 16' tall side walls (two story). I am putting insulated shop space in one corner. This is replacing a couple of smaller storage barns and my existing shipping container shop. It is a pole barn so it will go up pretty fast. The company I purchased the materials from will be delivering them. Pretty slick deal, you go on line get a quote, call them to finalize and they deliver everything you need in one truck load.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-19-16, 01:23 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Thanks Machka for resurrecting this zombie.

I wouldn't mind but I'm still working on some of these projects.

"Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow."
I was wondering how many people were still working on the same projects as they were 4 years ago when his thread first came out! For example, is this the same barn that @wahoonc was working on in a post from way back then??

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 11-19-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 01:35 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm going to build a Gilligan's Island bamboo car with a V6.
Old 11-19-16, 05:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I was wondering how many people were still working on the same projects as they were 4 years ago when his thread first came out! For example, is this the same barn that @wahoonc was working on in a post from way back then??
Maybe? We currently have 4 barns on the property along with some "temporary" storage.

One barn has been cleaned out and is in the process of being dismantled. It started out life as a log barn for curing tobacco about 80 years ago. It has been used as a horse barn, temporary housing and a race car shop. Due to some storm damage and termite damage it is going to be easier to take it down than to try and repair it.

The new barn that I am building (as soon as I get my permit ) is going to replace a smaller barn that is still in use, two of the temporary storage containers and catch some overflow from the big barn. The smaller barn is coming down and we will be planting blueberries bushes in that area.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-19-16, 09:33 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
This thread is so old, I don't even remember what motivated my starting it. Yet, I am still painting my house... theoretically at least.