Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Perfect Messenger Bag?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-25-19, 10:31 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Hey,

I'm starting a new job and have decided that I no longer want to look like an overgrown teenager with my backpack... I will have to be dressed somewhat professionally and would like the bag to match that aesthetic; accordingly, I am looking for a messenger bag that is good for bike commuting, but also has a professional/stylish look rather than the usual utilitarian vibes. Here are the features I'm hoping for this hypothetical ideal bag to have:
  1. Space to fit/protect a 17" laptop, preferably in a cushioned pouch. A rigid-sided bag that holds its shape would also be a plus.
  2. An underarm strap for stability when riding
  3. Not too large -- I'll only be using it to transport work-related stuff, not delivering parcels. Needs to be at least 11" x 15" to fit the laptop...
  4. The ability to be carried over the shoulder like a normal laptop bag when walking (i.e., not strapped to the upper back, but hanging at the waist)
  5. Clean look -- not overly laden with buckles and straps
Some bonus features that would be nice to have:
  1. Waterproof
  2. Causes minimal back sweat
Does anyone have any pro-tips for messenger bags that best fit this description? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by SeanBikes; 08-25-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 06:05 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I don't know that there is any Perfect Messenger unless you get a custom one designed for you. They can get expensive really fast. I have been using a Chrome Citizen Messenger, and I can tell you it would meet all your criteria, except I don't see how you could carry it without going cross-body. I suspect you are going to see this on any messenger bag, however.

I would be looking for a business type backpack if you absolutely have to have the bag where you can carry it with one arm. Back sweat I have found to be basically the same with a backpack or a messenger, smaller bag = smaller sweat (in my climate anyway). There are a ton of smaller shops that make bicycle-specific backpacks, and I promise whatever you buy, you are going to find one will work for you better shortly after you buy one. Ortlieb and Thule make some backpack with some channels for airflow, although I have never seen that on a messenger.

Some of my favorite companies are: Chrome Industries, Road Runner Bags, Thule, Ortlieb just to name a few. If you look at Etsy, you can find quite a few waxed canvas messengers or backpacks that can be handmade, but I have never been brave enough to try them.
Likes For wsgts:
Old 08-27-19, 07:13 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Great, thanks for these tips! I had a feeling I may have set my expectations a little high... just trying to check as many boxes as possible.

I have checked out some chrome bags, as I've only heard good things. They look like great bags for the cycling aspect, but I'm not sure they're what I'm looking for as a work bag. I'll check out these other suggestions, but you're probably right:
Originally Posted by wsgts
I promise whatever you buy, you are going to find one will work for you better shortly after you buy one.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Life Behind Bars Echelon Eclipse? https://lbbjkt.com/the-echelon-s-eclipse

Thanks!
Old 08-27-19, 06:18 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
There are so many great smaller manufacturers out there, you had me make another bookmark damn-it. I do like waxed canvas a lot, I have about 3000 miles on some Rivendell seat bags and I would love to get a messenger/backpack in that material one day, probably a backpack. If you can't tell, I'm a huge bag nerd.
Old 08-28-19, 06:40 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Originally Posted by wsgts
If you can't tell, I'm a huge bag nerd.
Hah! Then at least I know I'm getting sound advice!

Another one for your bookmarks? Pretty expensive though...

Arcteryx Granville 16

They have a 10L too.

Last edited by SeanBikes; 08-28-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-28-19, 04:17 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Great, thanks for these tips! I had a feeling I may have set my expectations a little high... just trying to check as many boxes as possible.
Thanks!
I've been using timbuk2 bags for over a decade. I they are great and are my every day carry. I think it checks most of your boxes.
Certainly, a chest strap is required (Tumbuk2 has them). I ride a drop bar bike, and the bag is low on my back or on my pelvis - minimal sweat.

They come in a LOT of different sizes, and a LOT of different colors. I have a small and a medium. I use the bags on their own, or when commuting. I even have one that works as a pannier.
Even after a decade, they show minimal wear and tear. I even had a hard crash at 20mph once, and the bag was barely scuffed (can't say the same for my clothes or skin). Friggin indestructible.

I think REI has them on sale for labor day:
https://www.rei.com/product/112675/t...ger-bag-medium

https://www.timbuk2.com/products/110...29040117186602
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-28-19, 04:37 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
For more traditional styling (canvas, leather, and metal buckles), there's Frost River.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/shoulder-bags/