Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

MAVIC Ksyrium UST WTS wheelset with other-than-Mavic/Hutchinson tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 06:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Mavic is making it harder to find excuses for me *not* to try tubeless. The Ksyrium UST WTS wheelset, including a pair of Yksion Pro UST tires, sealant, etc., is selling for around $250 for the set ($112 front, $136 rear).

But considering the price of replacement tires (about $70 each), it sounds like Mavic is using the inkjet printer approach: sell the wheels cheap and make money on the other end with consumables.

By all accounts the tires are very good... while they last. Fast rolling, all the advantages of tubeless, but many users report problems with sidewall bubbling and other failures, presumably due to sealant infiltrating the tires.

That alone wouldn't put me off at least trying them. But I'm wondering whether anyone else has tried that wheelset with other tires -- say, Schwalbe One Pro?

I realize Mavic is trying to make tubeless as user friendly as possible by ensuring a matching wheel/tire that's easy to install, doesn't require a compressor, etc. Just wondering whether the wheels can still be used with other tires.

BTW, this is for a budget build, so I can't justify spending more for tubeless. It's a 2011 Diamondback Podium 5 frame with Ultegra crankset, a gift from a friend. The frame was just a little large for him and might be for me as well, although I have longer legs and arms so while we're the same height I have a bit more reach. I already have wheels but this would be a good opportunity to try tubeless at a price commensurate with a budget build.
Old 02-03-20, 07:23 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I can't speak to your question specifically, but I had no issues playing with tubeless outside of UST - Hutchinsons on Hed+ wheels installed very easily and sealed without a compressor. After a few months of not feeling the magic and a cut that didn't seal I gave up as not worth literally any deviation from my previous routine, but it wasn't hard at all. I don't think things are as difficult in general as they were a few years ago.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-03-20, 07:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Mavic is making it harder to find excuses for me *not* to try tubeless. The Ksyrium UST WTS wheelset, including a pair of Yksion Pro UST tires, sealant, etc., is selling for around $250 for the set ($112 front, $136 rear).

But considering the price of replacement tires (about $70 each), it sounds like Mavic is using the inkjet printer approach: sell the wheels cheap and make money on the other end with consumables.

By all accounts the tires are very good... while they last. Fast rolling, all the advantages of tubeless, but many users report problems with sidewall bubbling and other failures, presumably due to sealant infiltrating the tires.

That alone wouldn't put me off at least trying them. But I'm wondering whether anyone else has tried that wheelset with other tires -- say, Schwalbe One Pro?

I realize Mavic is trying to make tubeless as user friendly as possible by ensuring a matching wheel/tire that's easy to install, doesn't require a compressor, etc. Just wondering whether the wheels can still be used with other tires.

BTW, this is for a budget build, so I can't justify spending more for tubeless. It's a 2011 Diamondback Podium 5 frame with Ultegra crankset, a gift from a friend. The frame was just a little large for him and might be for me as well, although I have longer legs and arms so while we're the same height I have a bit more reach. I already have wheels but this would be a good opportunity to try tubeless at a price commensurate with a budget build.
$70 is actually cheap for roadie tubeless. Those tires are always more expensive than car tires, while lasting 1/10th as long....My gravel-bike tires have 2X as much material in them and cost 1/2 as much.

The Roadie Tax is a thing.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 02-03-20, 10:14 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used 5000TL and Hutchinson tires on my UST wheels. They work well enough.

Nothing leaps onto the rims like UST wheels on UST tires though. Makes it very easy to repair tires roadside.
Likes For pdoege:
Old 02-03-20, 11:20 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by pdoege
I've used 5000TL and Hutchinson tires on my UST wheels. They work well enough.

Nothing leaps onto the rims like UST wheels on UST tires though. Makes it very easy to repair tires roadside.
I had the opposite experience with Mavic UST. I had a heck of a time mounting a new Yksion pro tire to my cosmic pro UST. It required two tire levers and sore hands to mount the tires. It probably took me a good 15min of fiddling with the tire to get it mounted. I then tried to inflate using a floor pump and no-go. I used a co2 cartridge and it popped right into place.
Old 02-04-20, 04:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I went to the UST system last season. Absolutely brilliant. I love everything about them. Easy to mount and pump up. I think it was Excel that had a sale on the Yksion tires a couple months ago. They were selling them for something like $35 ea. By the time I got to the site, they were all sold.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-04-20, 08:12 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

I can also speak directly to this. I have Ksyrium Pro Discs with Yksion Pro tires on my Litespeed. Tires are very good and you can get them for around $70 a PAIR, just have to look in the right places. Also you need not worry about any anomalies with respect to tire issues. Mavic customer service has been phenomenal in my experience. As soon as the tires wear out on my Conlago, I'm putting on some 25mm Yksion Pro's that I have.
Likes For jadocs: