Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Old 05-10-21, 11:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
My source (my friend) just told me that the dimples are really small. They're basically pores. It's skin, after all. My friend knows what is and what isn't.
Instructions unclear. Walked into a sandblasting booth naked and now the cops are talking to me.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-10-21, 11:14 AM
Nipomored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why do you care how others dress or ride? Isn’t the objective to enjoy our selves? If you prefer to dress in a more toned down manner and ride slower just do for it and have fun your own way! And others do the same without useless criticism!
Likes For Nipomored:
Old 05-10-21, 11:14 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
It's called attention seeking. Most of us ride because we like riding. This subset of road cyclists seems to be more about "hey everybody, look at me!"
Old 05-10-21, 11:15 AM
strawbale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP, such riders are actually not going fast. Their $1k+ bike and tight fancy clothes only make them look like they are going fast. "Skinny" is also just an illusion that happens when things are moving slower in reality than what they appear.
Likes For strawbale:
Old 05-10-21, 11:15 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I have a bike that cost a lot more than a grand, i wear cheap (relatively) cycling cloths BECAUSE THEY ARE WAY MORE COMFORTABLE and practical than wearing street cloths, and I'm NOT very fast. And I don't care what other people do.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 05-10-21, 11:20 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
What about people who give themselves names like "PimpMan" and are probably just pimp wannabe's?
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 05-10-21, 11:30 AM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
While one can always submit rationalizations to skeptics justifying extreme prices for such things as status symbol costumes: tailored suits, haute coiture dresses worn only once costing five figures, I am persuaded that the purpose of such bike riding costumes is to impress those who see them. Most people with minimum training even if self-taught could sew together a riding costume that would look identical to the high status riding costume, not that I would want to accommodate the tastes of the kind of peers who would tell me what I have to wear. Shorts and a possible T-shirt and sneakers can't be beat in warm weather and work clothes in cold weather have the practical advantage.
Those who want to ride as fast as they can for sport even though they are not that minuscule fraction of a percent of the population who are strong enough to compete in the Tour de France I esteem even though I prefer amateur bodybuilding for my sport.
Old 05-10-21, 11:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
It's called attention seeking. Most of us ride because we like riding. This subset of road cyclists seems to be more about "hey everybody, look at me!"
Your conclusion is false.
Old 05-10-21, 11:43 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
While one can always submit rationalizations to skeptics justifying extreme prices for such things as status symbol costumes: tailored suits, haute coiture dresses worn only once costing five figures, I am persuaded that the purpose of such bike riding costumes is to impress those who see them. Most people with minimum training even if self-taught could sew together a riding costume that would look identical to the high status riding costume, not that I would want to accommodate the tastes of the kind of peers who would tell me what I have to wear. Shorts and a possible T-shirt and sneakers can't be beat in warm weather and work clothes in cold weather have the practical advantage.
Those who want to ride as fast as they can for sport even though they are not that minuscule fraction of a percent of the population who are strong enough to compete in the Tour de France I esteem even though I prefer amateur bodybuilding for my sport.
Sewing takes skill & time. I'd rather buy a premade item & use the saved time to ride longer, & farther away from people.
Old 05-10-21, 11:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That's good to know.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-21, 11:51 AM
fuji105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?
It's about staying healthy and enjoying life.
Likes For fuji105:
Old 05-10-21, 11:52 AM
Yacc

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The number of riders "of this type" you see depends highly on where you live -- when I was living in Denver they were all over the place, and many of them actual pros that go there to train. But still, how do you know or not know if they race or not? There are cycling competitions of all levels in all areas -- many of those people probably do actually compete in things, even if they are amateurs.
Likes For Yacc:
Old 05-10-21, 11:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Shorts and a possible T-shirt and sneakers can't be beat in warm weather
For cycling, they can absolutely be beat. Cycling-specific clothing and shoes are not just about a certain appearance, but also practical application of materials designed specifically to improve the human function in that activity.
Old 05-10-21, 12:07 PM
drbarney1

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
While I question the tight fitting shirts and shorts which might have a minuscule aerodynamic advantage approaching that of wearing a g-string, I am open to considering something as functional as cycling shoes. I will look up such specifically designed shoes to discover whether they feel better to use. It depends on what I can afford and I do not buy leather because I don't believe in killing animals to harvest their body parts.
Old 05-10-21, 12:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen advantages that a decent jersey has over a t-shirt:

zipper
pockets
breathable fabric
reflective piping
sleeves and waist hem cut for riding position, not standing around
and more aerodynamic
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-21, 12:16 PM
JimInPT

Bikes: 1967 Sears "Stingray", 1982 Schwinn Le Tour IV, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper, 2021 Rad Power Mini ST e-bike..... the tale of my knees.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Which sports should adults be allowed to participate in? Pie-eating contests?
Would there be an entry fee? 'Cause I can just go to the store and buy pie without all the paperwork.
Old 05-10-21, 12:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

While I question the tight fitting shirts and shorts which might have a minuscule aerodynamic advantage approaching that of wearing a g-string, I am open to considering something as functional as cycling shoes. I will look up such specifically designed shoes to discover whether they feel better to use. It depends on what I can afford and I do not buy leather because I don't believe in killing animals to harvest their body parts.
The aerodynamic advantage of non-flappy clothing is probably more than you think. Remember, we are talking about the clothing worn by fast road riders, not casual cruisers. Modern fabrics used for cycling jerseys will keep you cooler in warm weather, and warmer in cool weather, than a typical cotton t-shirt. Proper cycling shorts include padding that makes for riding long distances more comfortable, and the tight fit eliminates chaffing issues that can be a problem with non-cycling specific shorts. High-quality cycling shoes include stiff soles and a snug fit that improves power transfer significantly.
Old 05-10-21, 12:31 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I particularly enjoy sitting on the seams in my jeans while riding...
Likes For ferengii:
Old 05-10-21, 12:46 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Comfort

OP is making up stuff in his head .. and you know what they say about assuming . I wear Lycra because it's the most comfortable attire to ride in. Some times I by shirts with logos just because you can get high quality apparel at a low price.
Likes For Glidedon:
Old 05-10-21, 12:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,486 Times in 7,316 Posts
Shorts and a possible T-shirt and sneakers can't be beat in warm weather and work clothes in cold weather have the practical advantage.
And you know this how? By objectively testing all sorts of clothing, including cycle-specific clothing, in all sorts of conditions?

Glad I was not wearing "work clothes" during this nearly 30 mile climb I took while crossing the country. Also glad I wasn't wearing normal shorts, t-shirt and sneakers during those high 90s to 100 degree days with killer humidity later in the trip. And, interestingly, I am at work right now wearing a pair of cycling tights, long sleeve t-shirt and hoodie.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-10-21, 01:02 PM
AlanO

Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
This question can’t be serious. I just assume they’re younger than me.
Old 05-10-21, 01:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
& here I am like a sucker with clipless shoes! Steeltoe boots here I come!
Old 05-10-21, 01:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Well,you hit 200 replies. Good job dunkin' on the troll, everyone
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-10-21, 01:34 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?
I look at your username and have the same question.
Likes For TomM:
Old 05-10-21, 01:57 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Does this sport has a name i can read about because i never heard of it.

This actually brings me to the second point i forgot to make - when one is riding for health, not to compete with others.

Whats the actual difference if one ride light bicycle fast with many speeds vs one rides heavier bicycle slower speed, IMO at the end of the day person with heavier bicycle puts more effort into pedaling...
I agree with you the person workout with heavier bike will put more effort into riding. I can never understand those people who ride extremely light bikes expect to have good workouts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.