Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A terrible loss

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A terrible loss

Old 08-18-21, 06:40 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
A terrible loss

My cousin lost her outstanding husband to a distracted driver Saturday. Raise a toast to Clint if you can. https://www.kait8.com/2021/08/18/cyc...YujixASrugBak0

Last edited by boozergut; 08-18-21 at 08:33 AM.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-18-21, 07:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Sorry for your family's loss.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-18-21, 08:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yes, sorry for your family's loss. wishing you all strength right now & nothing but the best memories
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-18-21, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
My condolences to you and your family also.

We have to get over the idea that accidents "just happen". I use to be a impatient driver for things that slowed me down. There isn't any excuse for that mindset I had and sometimes still have.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-21, 12:38 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
We have to get over the idea that accidents "just happen".
We need to stop calling them accidents in the first place. An accident implies no one was at fault. The NHTSA found that 94% of crashes are due to human error.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-18-21, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
We need to stop calling them accidents in the first place. An accident implies no one was at fault. The NHTSA found that 94% of crashes are due to human error.
It seems to be a fad that people view accidents as being no ones fault. But the many court cases and rulings on accidents will show that there is fault to be assigned.

While in the truest sense of the word, accidents might be unavoidable, it still doesn't leave someone blameless.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-21, 12:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Did the NHSTA make any statement about stop calling them accidents in order to reduce such incidents?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-19-21, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It seems to be a fad that people view accidents as being no ones fault. But the many court cases and rulings on accidents will show that there is fault to be assigned.

While in the truest sense of the word, accidents might be unavoidable, it still doesn't leave someone blameless.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Did the NHSTA make any statement about stop calling them accidents in order to reduce such incidents?

Yeah, I don't get where the idea that "crash" implies fault and "accident" does not comes from, neither word implies anything about fault or the absence of fault.

The NTSB calls what it does "accident investigation". If the word accident implies it's just something that happens, that would be an oxymoron. The whole point of such investigation is to try to determine the cause of the accident in order to learn how to prevent recurrences.

BTW, I think that if we get too fixed on assigning blame on individual drivers, we're likely to miss more systemic and faulty design causes.
Old 08-20-21, 10:20 PM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Hope they can raise a huge amount for the family's need.
Likes For ropetwitch:
Old 08-23-21, 05:00 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Will calling them something else stop them from happening?
Old 08-23-21, 05:27 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
So sad, what a tragic loss.

The news pic doesn't help. Shows 4 guys not in the shoulder.....
Old 08-24-21, 10:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The news pic doesn't help. Shows 4 guys not in the shoulder.....
???

In the US, cyclists are (generally) not required to ride in the shoulder. Also, in the US, there is no requirement for shoulders to be safe to ride in.

In any case, drivers are required not to be distracted and not to run into cyclists (wherever they are in the road).
Old 08-24-21, 04:27 PM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
My cousin lost her outstanding husband to a distracted driver Saturday. Raise a toast to Clint if you can. https://www.kait8.com/2021/08/18/cyc...YujixASrugBak0
My heart goes out to you and your family you are in my prayers.
God bless.
Likes For ezdoesit:
Old 08-25-21, 05:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, I don't get where the idea that "crash" implies fault and "accident" does not comes from, neither word implies anything about fault or the absence of fault.

What is a connotation Alex?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/connotation

One connotation of accident is something that has an element of being unavoidable.

Don't argue with me, argue with those that penned the content of the hundreds of links that come up when you Google "calling accidents crashes."

You are welcome!
Old 08-25-21, 06:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I am so very sorry for the senseless loss of your family. Clint, here's to perpetual downhills my riding brother.

This is Highway 18 east of Dell

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8727...7i13312!8i6656

Here's another write up on the crash.

https://www.kait8.com/2021/08/15/one...hway-18-crash/

It sounds like the crash occurred on the shoulder, but I can't be certain from the very poorly written piece.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-25-21, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
What is a connotation Alex?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/connotation

One connotation of accident is something that has an element of being unavoidable.

Don't argue with me, argue with those that penned the content of the hundreds of links that come up when you Google "calling accidents crashes."

You are welcome!
What is gratuitous dictionary abuse, as-yet unnamed successor to Alex?

That is a completely lame argument. Words have multiple meanings and connotations are derived largely from context. One of the connotations of "crash" is the stock price dropped dramatically, or someone's drug abuse has finally caught up with them. Should we not use that word to describe incidents where cars strike bicyclists because people might be confused by its multiple meanings? And, just as an aside "unavoidable crash" is not an oxymoron, neither is "avoidable accident".

I am arguing with the hundreds of links that get this wrong and you--"accident" is a broad term, and does not necessarily imply anything about fault or inevitability. And don't argue with me about it, argue with the NTSB:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ntReports.aspx

Pretty silly of them to investigate the causes of things that can't be avoided in order to learn how to avoid them, huh?

BTW, thunder "crashes". You want to explain how that is avoidable?

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-25-21 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 07:24 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That is a completely lame argument. Words have multiple meanings and connotations are derived largely from context. One of the connotations of "crash" is the stock price dropped dramatically, or someone's drug abuse has finally caught up with them. Should we not use that word to describe incidents where cars strike bicyclists because people might be confused by its multiple meanings? And, just as an aside "unavoidable crash" is not an oxymoron, neither is "avoidable accident".

I am arguing with the hundreds of links that get this wrong and you--"accident" is a broad term, and does not necessarily imply anything about fault or inevitability. And don't argue with me about it, argue with the NTSB:

Pretty silly of them to investigate the causes of things that can't be avoided in order to learn how to avoid them, huh?

Go argue with the legal firms on those Google links!

Let me ask you this. Has there been a gravitation away from the use of the word accident, and toward crash with the NHSTA? Hint, "Uniform Crash Report." More hints "CISS" "CRSS."
Old 08-25-21, 07:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Go argue with the legal firms on those Google links!

Let me ask you this. Has there been a gravitation away from the use of the word accident, and toward crash with the NHSTA? Hint, "Uniform Crash Report." More hints "CISS" "CRSS."

I get that there are people buying this stupid argument, it doesn't make it right. Ultimately, this is the "shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic" strategy.

NY state made the terminology change several years ago, got any evidence that people's attitudes towards driver responsibility has changed one whit in NY as a result?

This is just about picking another word to spur people to talk about it, making preposterous claims about the meaning of the words in order to justify that just undermines the credibility of the person advocating that way.

If "crash" becomes the dominant word, I fully expect we'll be discussing its replacement about 10 years later. Relabeling is what you do when you're not making progress on the issue.
Old 08-25-21, 07:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts

What is wrong with you?
Old 08-27-21, 11:24 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Will calling them something else stop them from happening?
This represents a classic example of deflection intended to derail the conversation and not offer anything constructive. Guess what? Enacting actual laws or amending existing ones won't stop the act(s) in question from happening. We should just abolish the laws then, right?

When the norm is to refer to crashes/collisions as "accidents" it reflects our cultural attitude towards these things. The level of seriousness we hold for something is indicated by the common language we use to describe it. The term "accident" allows people write these things off under the "**** happens" category and does nothing to address the fact we have a serious problem. Over 40k Americans got killed by automobiles last year, which is more than firearm deaths. In this country that's really saying something. Dismissive responses like yours offer nothing helpful.
Old 08-28-21, 01:44 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Sincere condolences :(

The NTSB calls what it does "accident investigation". If the word accident implies it's just something that happens, that would be an oxymoron. The whole point of such investigation is to try to determine the cause of the accident in order to learn how to prevent recurrences.

BTW, I think that if we get too fixed on assigning blame on individual drivers, we're likely to miss more systemic and faulty design causes.
The San Francisco Police Department has stopped using the word in their incident reports. Kudos to them. The "A" word definitely implies lack of responsibility. To do something "accidentally" indicates it wasn't intended or expected. It also applies to external forces. "He came out of nowhere" is a common refrain from irresponsible and/or incompetent drivers. They're the ones who have ZERO peripheral vision and haven't checked a mirror since their morning bathroom break!

The word's meaning and connotations act to immediately release the driver of any responsibility. It biases the discussion before anyone has said another word. It's like the big, bad mean world is just doing EVERYTHING in it's power to trip up drivers! The poor things!

Well, this couldn't be FURTHER from the truth! Drivers are an excellent example of habitual law-breakers and an entitled class. I see so many people breaking the law on their phones behind the wheel, I've lost hope for humanity. Especially the parents driving around the kids elementary school on the phone. And then there's endemic speeding. On the freeway, on the street, on the highway, you name it! Oh and stop signs? Don't get me started!!!!

Drivers have been told, if something happens, it SURELY isn't your fault! You insurance company BEGS you to NEVER SAY SORRY!

In other words, driver behavior makes them culpable. The irresponsible CHOICES they make to break the law, endanger others and themselves mean they aren't passive victims of "uncontrollable circumstances." Their very actions lead to terrible outcomes. And the words we use to describe these terrible outcomes have impact. They affect the mindset. They influence FUTURE driving behavior and future drivers.

Catching the trend here?

I obviously feel VERY strongly about this issue. Please reconsider using another better word such as crash, collision or incident. The "A" word should be left in the dust bin.

PS Oh and who knows the origins of the word "jaywalking?" Well, just ANOTHER example of how the human landscape and legal system has been altered to the advantage of drivers. People used to joyfully walk the urban landscape without a care in the world. Then the automobile came along and relegated people to the margins. Doing what everyone did for millennia was suddenly illegal. Interesting.

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 08-28-21 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-28-21, 04:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
The San Francisco Police Department has stopped using the word in their incident reports. Kudos to them. The "A" word definitely implies lack of responsibility. To do something "accidentally" indicates it wasn't intended or expected. It also applies to external forces. "He came out of nowhere" is a common refrain from irresponsible and/or incompetent drivers. They're the ones who have ZERO peripheral vision and haven't checked a mirror since their morning bathroom break!

The word's meaning and connotations act to immediately release the driver of any responsibility. It biases the discussion before anyone has said another word. It's like the big, bad mean world is just doing EVERYTHING in it's power to trip up drivers! The poor things!

Well, this couldn't be FURTHER from the truth! Drivers are an excellent example of habitual law-breakers and an entitled class. I see so many people breaking the law on their phones behind the wheel, I've lost hope for humanity. Especially the parents driving around the kids elementary school on the phone. And then there's endemic speeding. On the freeway, on the street, on the highway, you name it! Oh and stop signs? Don't get me started!!!!

Drivers have been told, if something happens, it SURELY isn't your fault! You insurance company BEGS you to NEVER SAY SORRY!

In other words, driver behavior makes them culpable. The irresponsible CHOICES they make to break the law, endanger others and themselves mean they aren't passive victims of "uncontrollable circumstances." Their very actions lead to terrible outcomes. And the words we use to describe these terrible outcomes have impact. They affect the mindset. They influence FUTURE driving behavior and future drivers.

Catching the trend here?

I obviously feel VERY strongly about this issue. Please reconsider using another better word such as crash, collision or incident. The "A" word should be left in the dust bin.

PS Oh and who knows the origins of the word "jaywalking?" Well, just ANOTHER example of how the human landscape and legal system has been altered to the advantage of drivers. People used to joyfully walk the urban landscape without a care in the world. Then the automobile came along and relegated people to the margins. Doing what everyone did for millennia was suddenly illegal. Interesting.

Are you writing a parody? People didn't "joyfully walk the urban landscape" pre-automobile because the streets were so full of horse and human crap and roads were so poorly controlled that crossing them was always a high risk. People were killed by horses and carts and later street cars and trains in large numbers. Leave the history out of it because you obviously have no clue there. A 19th century city was a far more dangerous place than a 21st century city.

Where this ridiculous argument falls apart and turns into the ineffective and absurd brow-beating so beautifully exhibited above is that you cannot give a single plausible reason why using the "better" words will do a single thing to change people's minds. "Crash, collision or incident" do not convey anything about responsibility that "accident" does not. Changing the terms for completely bogus reasons about word usage is so obviously an empty virtue-signalling gesture that ranting as you do here just makes the advocate look silly.

If you really want to adopt a term that conveys what's going on here, I'm all in. You want to adopt something evocative of the real tragedy? Pick a really better term. How about "person/people hit by car/truck" or "vehicular killing and maiming"? If that's too long, how about "vehicular slaughter"?

" Crash" and "collision" don't even refer to people at all, and cover everything from a minor fender bender to ramming a full school bus into a gas truck. "Incident" is even worse than "accident" as it doesn't even convey any sense of misadventure. "Incidental" implies insignificance.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-28-21 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-30-21, 07:45 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts

The ghost bike turned out well.
Old 08-30-21, 11:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts

the ghost bike turned out well.
:,0(
Old 08-30-21, 11:26 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

In the US, cyclists are (generally) not required to ride in the shoulder. Also, in the US, there is no requirement for shoulders to be safe to ride in.

In any case, drivers are required not to be distracted and not to run into cyclists (wherever they are in the road).
What a crock. This is why I have a NECESSARY HB mounted mirror. I still don't catch them all in time. Just in my last 2 century rides, no less than TEN truck loads of 12 foot+ went by. 8 were there manufactured homes on flatbeds. If I wasn't at the very right of these 8' shoulders, on 2 lane secondary highways, I could have been dead 6 times.
Very seldom are there NOT wide loads going by.
Plus yesterday, 3 cars/ Jeep were passing others, coming towards me at 90 mph closing speed. I think 2 were on narrower shoulder parts. I didn't see the Jeep until it was 20 feet in front.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-31-21 at 01:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.