Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 07:37 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Here’s my recently finished 1998 Kona Explosif. I tried to rehab the original Marzocchi Bomber suspension fork, but it seems to be missing some parts, somI went with this rigid Carver fork with canti posts. Total weight as shown is 24 lbs, so it’s checking my box for a lightweight (Reynolds 853 frame) mtb.

where did you get the fork?

Last edited by jadmt; 03-08-22 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-22, 07:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Here’s my recently finished 1998 Kona Explosif. I tried to rehab the original Marzocchi Bomber suspension fork, but it seems to be missing some parts, somI went with this rigid Carver fork with canti posts. Total weight as shown is 24 lbs, so it’s checking my box for a lightweight (Reynolds 853 frame) mtb.

Better choice, I think, going with the rigid fork for your purposes. This bike came out great.

What's the gearing?

Are those the bars you want to run for the Cino? I'm not a huge fan of flat bars for long days in the saddle. YMMV though.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-08-22, 07:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
where did you get the fork?
https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-FK410S-S1009-RK.html

Originally Posted by bikemig
Better choice, I think, going with the rigid fork for your purposes. This bike came out great.

What's the gearing?

Are those the bars you want to run for the Cino? I'm not a huge fan of flat bars for long days in the saddle. YMMV though.
Rear cluster is 8-speed with 32t max, I believe. Crank is 42/28t. It actually came with a spiffy Coda crank, but the extractor threads are kinda shot. I was able to remove it, but I wouldn’t trust reinstalling. I have a cheap-ish 1 x 12 setup on the shelf, which I might install at some point, but for now I thought I’d stick with the original 8-speed config.

On the bars, I don’t have much experience with flat bars other than on my Wheeler MTB winter commuter. These Kona bars have a fair amount of rise, so we’ll see.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-08-22, 07:50 PM
bikemig 

https://www.bikeman.com/CARV-FK410S-S1009-RK.html

Rear cluster is 8-speed with 32t max, I believe. Crank is 42/28t. It actually came with a spiffy Coda crank, but the extractor threads are kinda shot. I was able to remove it, but I wouldn’t trust reinstalling. I have a cheap-ish 1 x 12 setup on the shelf, which I might install at some point, but for now I thought I’d stick with the original 8-speed config.

On the bars, I don’t have much experience with flat bars other than on my Wheeler MTB winter commuter. These Kona bars have a fair amount of rise, so we’ll see.
2 x 8 with a compact like that is a nice set up and likely better gearing than the 1 x 12. You may want to try those bars on a long ride before taking the bike to MT. They may work for you on a long ride but you may prefer a pair of bar ends or an alternative handlebar. There are a lot of options out there.

Great looking build; that bike came out nice.
Old 03-08-22, 08:19 PM
nlerner

Thanks, Miguel!

And here’s the as-found/seller’s eBay pic:

Old 03-08-22, 08:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
That ^^^^^^^ Carver fork bears a resemblance to the Project 2 forks found on Konas of that era, so apropos. And +1, nice end result, all around.
Old 03-08-22, 09:43 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by madpogue
That ^^^^^^^ Carver fork bears a resemblance to the Project 2 forks found on Konas of that era, so apropos. And +1, nice end result, all around.
Thanks! Yeah, I looked at lots of images of those Project 2 forks and it seems they show up on eBay still though prices are too high for me. I actually also bought a Surly Troll fork with about a million braze-ons that'll work, but for now the simpler Carver one is working for me. Is this ends up to be a true dirt road bikepacking rig, I'll go with the Surly fork.
Old 03-10-22, 07:04 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Explosif’s are my favorite Kona’s of all. I had a gold 92 for a while; wish I’d never sold it…
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 03-10-22, 11:09 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Just finished a complete overhaul of this '89 Mongoose IBOC, which came out of a chicken coop in 'relic' condition.
Old 03-10-22, 11:47 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts

How do you like the tires? Also, you should try some of those modernish swept back bars for this. I have Soma's and Guster versions and like them a lot, backsweep of 30 to 35 degrees. Was I the one who told you about those Carver Forks? Can't remember but I've recommended them a lot. They look good on your ride.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 03-10-22, 11:48 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Just finished a complete overhaul of this '89 Mongoose IBOC, which came out of a chicken coop in 'relic' condition.
I never know whether I should "like" a post with a really clean work room like this or "hate" it,

I opted for liking since that is a beautiful bike and well, this is C&V.
Old 03-10-22, 11:55 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

I guess I haven't shared this on here so I will...

...1997 Mongoose Rockadile SX

Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 03-10-22, 02:26 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
LOL, I bought a smoke-chrome Schwinn High Sierra from a fella who had kept it in a chicken coop for several years. We should start a "Show us your chicken-coop recovery bike" thread.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 03-10-22, 05:28 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
How do you like the tires? Also, you should try some of those modernish swept back bars for this. I have Soma's and Guster versions and like them a lot, backsweep of 30 to 35 degrees. Was I the one who told you about those Carver Forks? Can't remember but I've recommended them a lot. They look good on your ride.
Haven’t done more than a test ride around the block so can’t report on the tires yet, but I’m hopeful from reading others’ reports. On the Soma bars, which model are you talking about? And I don’t think I saw your recommendation on the Carver fork, but if you did, thanks! Bikeman.com, which is relatively local to me (in New England) often carries excellent parts but doesn’t always show up well in Google searches for some reason.
Old 03-10-22, 06:12 PM
VtwinVince

LOL, I keep going back to the coop, and once found a nice, complete 1990 Fisher Paragon, so I've got a couple for that thread idea.
Old 03-11-22, 12:15 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Haven’t done more than a test ride around the block so can’t report on the tires yet, but I’m hopeful from reading others’ reports. On the Soma bars, which model are you talking about? And I don’t think I saw your recommendation on the Carver fork, but if you did, thanks! Bikeman.com, which is relatively local to me (in New England) often carries excellent parts but doesn’t always show up well in Google searches for some reason.
Soma Dream Bars (SUPA WIDE and rise) and Guster Stache Bars. I think the key though is wide, and 30-35 deg back sweep. Need a 100mm or longer stem to go with it too, but worth it.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 03-11-22, 11:33 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Alloy frame?
Old 03-14-22, 10:00 PM
ClivePalmer_UAP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree. These grips outboss all others
Old 03-20-22, 08:36 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Picked up this '89 Miyata Path Runner for my lady's sister. Paint is in great shape; really bright pink in person. Spent most of its life in storage. Going to get all new consumables and will be a nice rider.

Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 03-20-22, 10:24 AM
VtwinVince

It's a cromoly frame.
Old 03-21-22, 08:39 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I found this on Craigslist yesterday for $125. It's almost like a Black Lightening in mountain bike form. It's going to be a fun Spring.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 03-23-22, 11:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
It's been awhile since I've received a decent freebie.Picked this one up today. Another one to add to my ever growing Specialized bunch. lol First plan is the usual strip and rebuild but I'll be upgrading the components. Future is a strip and rattle can repaint.
IMG_9921 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 03-24-22, 06:17 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 96 Posts
I bought this new, 22 years ago, as an upgrade to a Huffy. I saw the town cops tooling around on these at townie events and thought they were pretty cool. I believe they were one of the last ones made in USA. When i started getting a bit more serious about road riding I swapped out the knobbies for road tires. My wife uses it now when we hit the bike trail together.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-25-22, 11:36 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
In the early 1980’s Schwinn’s competition for the Iconic Specialized Stump Jumper was the Schwinn High sierra. The flagship of their mountain bike fleet in 1984, it was originally built in Japan and then for 1985 production was shifted to Taiwan and a new model, the Cimarron took the top spot followed closely by an upgraded High Sierra. Today’s example is a 1985 model in dark metallic green and it is, as far as I can determine, equipped to original specs , down to the newly installed Panaracer gumwall tires .

When a bike comes into the workshop a thorough examination tells a lot about its history. This example was hardly ridden. The original brake pads show almost no wear, the rims look brand new , no wear or marks on the braking surfaces, and the paint, apart from numerous small scratches probably due to being moved about in the garage over the years, was almost pristine.

Top quality parts were used on this bike, similar to those on the early Stump Jumper. Suntour components include Mountech derailleurs, A 14- 32 tooth 6 speed freewheel, and their best friction thumb shifters. 1.75 x 26” Araya rims, Sakae putter stem and Sakae SA triple cranks, all hung on a cromo frame complete with fork mounts for paniers make this a natural for both city riding and long distance adventure touring.

Bringing it back to showroom condition was simple, consisting mostly of cleaning and touching up the paint scratches with a mixture of green and black paint. With the dark green body color the touch ups almost disappear. Of course, the bottom bracket and head set bearings were re greased, new cables and covers installed, and new tires mounted.

This is a true classic in pristine condition, built with quality parts, and it will certainly increase in value as the years go by.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 03-25-22, 11:56 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
In the early 1980’s Schwinn’s competition for the Iconic Specialized Stump Jumper was the Schwinn High sierra. The flagship of their mountain bike fleet in 1984, it was originally built in Japan and then for 1985 production was shifted to Taiwan and a new model, the Cimarron took the top spot followed closely by an upgraded High Sierra. Today’s example is a 1985 model in dark metallic green and it is, as far as I can determine, equipped to original specs , down to the newly installed Panaracer gumwall tires .
<---- Pics ---->

When a bike comes into the workshop a thorough examination tells a lot about its history. This example was hardly ridden. The original brake pads show almost no wear, the rims look brand new , no wear or marks on the braking surfaces, and the paint, apart from numerous small scratches probably due to being moved about in the garage over the years, was almost pristine.

Top quality parts were used on this bike, similar to those on the early Stump Jumper. Suntour components include Mountech derailleurs, A 14- 32 tooth 6 speed freewheel, and their best friction thumb shifters. 1.75 x 26” Araya rims, Sakae putter stem and Sakae SA triple cranks, all hung on a cromo frame complete with fork mounts for paniers make this a natural for both city riding and long distance adventure touring.

Bringing it back to showroom condition was simple, consisting mostly of cleaning and touching up the paint scratches with a mixture of green and black paint. With the dark green body color the touch ups almost disappear. Of course, the bottom bracket and head set bearings were re greased, new cables and covers installed, and new tires mounted.

This is a true classic in pristine condition, built with quality parts, and it will certainly increase in value as the years go by.
I once had a Schwinn High Sierra. Nice Bike as I recall.

Last edited by Ballenxj; 03-25-22 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Image removal. Don't need them twice in a row.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.