Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Pressure

Old 06-13-22, 03:51 AM
  #176  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post

I learned a word today!
Shame it's not in the dictionary though.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-13-22, 05:36 AM
  #177  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,316 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
It's too bad the people eating it up confuse "max" with "recommended"... including me way back when I was 125lb and had no business putting 140psi in a tire.



I learned a word today!
That's because I made it up yesterday
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-13-22, 11:50 AM
  #178  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,249

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Is any of this ^ true? Fake reality is everywhere these days.
As my 7th grade English teacher Mr. Louis would say, "Don't ever say 'in my opinion' because everything you say is your opinion."

So I didn't preface all that crap with "in my opinion".
downtube42 is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 02:15 PM
  #179  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,406

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,583 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
As my 7th grade English teacher Mr. Louis would say, "Don't ever say 'in my opinion' because everything you say is your opinion."
1 + 1 = 2. Not really an opinion.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-13-22, 02:32 PM
  #180  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,249

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
1 + 1 = 2. Not really an opinion.
It is your opinion that this is a fact. I'm sure your confidence is extremely high.

It's my opinion that 1+1=2 is a fundamental truth; I have opinions about what the symbol "1" means, what the symbol "+" means, what the symbol "=" means, and what the symbol "2" means. I believe (aka it's my opinion) that those definitions have virtually universal agreement. I might even say 1+1=2 is correct by definition, but that would be my opinion. It's my opinion I was taught these things at various times starting at a very young age, and it's my opinion that my understanding of the fundamental concepts is solid.

I could have left the "it's my opinion" out of the above, and it would mean exactly the same thing. It's equivalent to saying "I'm a human thus fallible" before every sentence - it's generally understood, though not always by the speaker.
downtube42 is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 02:40 PM
  #181  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,406

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,583 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
It is your opinion that this is a fact.
No, it's not my opinion. One can make countless statements that are fact, and not opinion.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-13-22, 03:06 PM
  #182  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,288

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
It is your opinion that this is a fact. I'm sure your confidence is extremely high.

It's my opinion that 1+1=2 is a fundamental truth; I have opinions about what the symbol "1" means, what the symbol "+" means, what the symbol "=" means, and what the symbol "2" means. I believe (aka it's my opinion) that those definitions have virtually universal agreement. I might even say 1+1=2 is correct by definition, but that would be my opinion. It's my opinion I was taught these things at various times starting at a very young age, and it's my opinion that my understanding of the fundamental concepts is solid.

I could have left the "it's my opinion" out of the above, and it would mean exactly the same thing. It's equivalent to saying "I'm a human thus fallible" before every sentence - it's generally understood, though not always by the speaker.
Damn...you need to get out more.
cxwrench is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 03:32 PM
  #183  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
As my 7th grade English teacher Mr. Louis would say, "Don't ever say 'in my opinion' because everything you say is your opinion."

So I didn't preface all that crap with "in my opinion".
To be fair you did start off your alternative reality with "I imagine"
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-13-22, 05:59 PM
  #184  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,249

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
Damn...you need to get out more.
Actually it was while visiting India that I had some of my most fundamental western beliefs challenged. The very notion that my beliefs were "western" rather than universal was the real eye opener. Travel does that - makes you see your own culture and beliefs as culture and beliefs rather than as universal realities. Knowledge leads to humility.
downtube42 is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 06:27 PM
  #185  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,137
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
It's my opinion that 1+1=2 is a fundamental truth; I have opinions about what the symbol "1" means, what the symbol "+" means, what the symbol "=" means, and what the symbol "2" means. I believe (aka it's my opinion) that those definitions have virtually universal agreement. I might even say 1+1=2 is correct by definition, but that would be my opinion. It's my opinion I was taught these things at various times starting at a very young age, and it's my opinion that my understanding of the fundamental concepts is solid.
It's true that "1+1=2" is dependent on certain assumptions, but it can be said that under those assumptions, it is a factual statement. Furthermore, the degree to which those assumptions have universal agreement is not a matter of opinion, it's something that could be quantified objectively; objective statements do not become subjective just because they lack confidence or precision. Similarly, on the flip side, a high degree of universality does not cause an opinion to become objective.
HTupolev is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:26 PM
  #186  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,406

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,583 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Actually it was while visiting India that I had some of my most fundamental western beliefs challenged. The very notion that my beliefs were "western" rather than universal was the real eye opener. Travel does that - makes you see your own culture and beliefs as culture and beliefs rather than as universal realities. Knowledge leads to humility.
That's great, but it doesn't mean that everything you say is just an opinion. I ate pizza for lunch -- that is a simple factual statement. It is not an opinion, and it has nothing to do with a lack of humility. It is reality.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-14-22, 02:49 AM
  #187  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Actually it was while visiting India that I had some of my most fundamental western beliefs challenged. The very notion that my beliefs were "western" rather than universal was the real eye opener. Travel does that - makes you see your own culture and beliefs as culture and beliefs rather than as universal realities. Knowledge leads to humility.
By definition "beliefs" are opinion rather than proven reality, regardless of their origin.

Belief: an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

The not requiring proof part means you can go f*****g bananas and believe literally anything you like!
PeteHski is offline  
Old 06-15-22, 11:19 AM
  #188  
tankist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
1 + 1 = 2. Not really an opinion.
1 + 1 = 10 in binary
tankist is offline  
Likes For tankist:
Old 06-15-22, 10:59 PM
  #189  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,305

Bikes: Giant Defy, Specialized Allez, Raleigh Pursuit tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist View Post
1 + 1 = 10 in binary
With that in mind, I recommend the OP try pumping their tires up to 1010000 psi.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle

Last edited by urbanknight; 06-20-22 at 04:10 PM.
urbanknight is offline  
Old 06-17-22, 06:27 AM
  #190  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,445

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by jessica2008 View Post
you're just kiding, right?
He is. But I'm still pumping my tires to 140 psi.
smd4 is offline  
Old 06-17-22, 10:14 PM
  #191  
SpeedyBlueBiker
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Redmond, WA & Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 299

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 85 Posts
I run at, or just under, the max PSI as printed on the sidewall of my 700x25 tires. I like it and it seems to work for me.
SpeedyBlueBiker is offline  
Old 06-18-22, 10:18 PM
  #192  
Outrider1
Full Member
 
Outrider1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 266

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5, Motobecane Cafe Disc Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Actually it was while visiting India that I had some of my most fundamental western beliefs challenged. The very notion that my beliefs were "western" rather than universal was the real eye opener. Travel does that - makes you see your own culture and beliefs as culture and beliefs rather than as universal realitie
s. Knowledge leads to humility.
I knew John Lennon was still alive!
Outrider1 is offline  
Old 06-20-22, 04:12 PM
  #193  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,305

Bikes: Giant Defy, Specialized Allez, Raleigh Pursuit tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jessica2008 View Post
you're just kiding, right?
If you're talking to me, 1010000 in binary is equal to 80.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Old 06-20-22, 04:49 PM
  #194  
The Chemist
Senior Member
 
The Chemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 770

Bikes: 2011 Giant FCR3500 // 2008 Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 130 Posts
I used to run my tires at maximum pressure, which for my current 700x35 Schwalbe Marathons is 85psi. Over the weekend, however, I decided to try an experiment and drop the pressure to the recommended pressure given for my bike's combined weight and my tire size, which was approximately 60psi. My bike was no slower (in fact, I had my best ever speed over a distance of 150km, doing it in pretty much exactly 5 hours of riding time), but it was noticeably more comfortable due to the lower tire pressure soaking up imperfections in the road surface.
The Chemist is offline  
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 06-20-22, 06:55 PM
  #195  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,744

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 458 Posts
The meaning of tire pressure is "42"
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 06-22-22, 10:26 PM
  #196  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,392

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 233 Posts
Here is an old re-hashed video to go with the re-hashed topic that rarely hit the main issue - the case.
That means it is a bit off topic, because topic was pressure.
But depending on the tire, the answer is different. I'd pump one tire harder than the other because of the case.

In this clip (mine) both tires have the same pressure. The red is a pretty supple Veloflex.

Last edited by Doge; 06-22-22 at 10:32 PM.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 01:31 AM
  #197  
thejazz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run mine on 5 bar, maximum stated on the tyred is 5.8
thejazz is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 03:15 AM
  #198  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,600

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
As my 7th grade English teacher Mr. Louis would say, "Don't ever say 'in my opinion' because everything you say is your opinion."
.
That was terrible advice.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 04:12 AM
  #199  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I used to run my tires at maximum pressure, which for my current 700x35 Schwalbe Marathons is 85psi. Over the weekend, however, I decided to try an experiment and drop the pressure to the recommended pressure given for my bike's combined weight and my tire size, which was approximately 60psi. My bike was no slower (in fact, I had my best ever speed over a distance of 150km, doing it in pretty much exactly 5 hours of riding time), but it was noticeably more comfortable due to the lower tire pressure soaking up imperfections in the road surface.
It's not often you see someone on BF open-minded enough to actually try something different. Everyone running "max" pressure should at least try this experiment.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-23-22, 08:14 AM
  #200  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,249

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
That was terrible advice.
It's situational. In some settings it conveys an appropriate level of humility, in others, weakness. Don't take that IMO **** into the c-suite; say it with an outrageous level of confidence or get the hell out.

^ Do I need to say that's just my opinion? I think clearly not, but there I did.

How do you like your Fog Cutter? Love mine; I use it for rando. I get so many comments on how gorgeous it is.

The new model though, with the replaceable dropouts. If it was red, I'd have one already.
downtube42 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.