Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cutting Carbon Fiber Handlebars and Seatposts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-20-22, 07:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,060 Posts

I will be cutting (trimming) carbon fiber handlebars in the near future

I plan to use a hacksaw - have standard blades and also have a Park blade intended for carbon fiber

( also have a Park cutting guide )

Do you have a preference - standard blade vs blade for carbon fiber ?

Any personal size experience with the Park blade for carbon fiber ?
Old 06-20-22, 07:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Generally the finer the blade's teeth the less likely the carbon will tear or split. An abrasive blade has a far finer "tooth count" (80 grit is 80 teeth per inch, as example) then a 32, 24 or 18 tpi blade has.

Having said that I have cut dozens of bars and steerers with a sharp 32 tpi blade using light pressures and fine sand paper (actually production cloth) action of the cut's face to both smoothen the face and round/de burr the edges with no issues yet known.

Good tools are nice but experience is a greater factor. Andy
Old 06-20-22, 11:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Andy,

Would you wrap the bar with masking tape where the cut is being made?

John
Old 06-21-22, 03:45 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I will be cutting (trimming) carbon fiber handlebars in the near future

I plan to use a hacksaw - have standard blades and also have a Park blade intended for carbon fiber

( also have a Park cutting guide )

Do you have a preference - standard blade vs blade for carbon fiber ?

Any personal size experience with the Park blade for carbon fiber ?
I’ve cut a few carbon steerers with a regular hacksaw blade. I use a new blade for the purpose and wet everything down at start and during to reduce dust. Let blade do the cutting and don’t lean on it - a little slower but no splinters. Finish the cut end with sandpaper
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-21-22, 04:09 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have cut a few seat posts and cf steer tubes. I do wrap the cut area, not where the blade cuts, with tape. I also use a regular thin blade and cut slowly with little pressure, and keep checking the alignment and the cut through out the process. Sand to smooth the edges. The only guide I have used is hose clamps, but an actual guide might make it easier and keep the cut aligned. I have never had an actual failure doing this. Andrew R Stewart, IME, gives good advice.
Old 06-21-22, 06:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I also use a 32 TPI new hacksaw blade with light pressure (basically just the weight of the saw). I wrap the cut line with tape to prevent splintering and to make the marked cut line more visible. I have a cutting guide that works well but have used the edge of a radiator clamp as a guide in the past. The most important thing is to "measure twice and cut once".
Old 06-21-22, 07:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Andy,

Would you wrap the bar with masking tape where the cut is being made?

John
If the tape helps you maintain the saw cut in the right place and end up fairly straight than yes. But you say you have a cutting guide which should do both jobs. If you're thinking the tape will prevent splintering or delamination then I don't think the tape will do much.

BTW lacking a saw guide one can use two radiator hose clamps to help control the sawing line. I also find that when sawing tubes or bars if I start the cut all the way around the stock, creating a shallow groove, the saw blade will follow the path of lesser resistance (or better said the saw will want to cut where the starting groove is). I haven't had to use either of these techniques on a carbon piece as I have various guides to use on steerers and such. Andy
Old 06-21-22, 08:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Thank you Andy.

I was wondering if the tape would help to prevent splintering.

John
Old 06-21-22, 08:20 AM
hayden52

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
The few times I've cut CF i used a Dremel high speed cutter. No need to worry about splintering.
Old 06-21-22, 10:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Thank you Andy.

I was wondering if the tape would help to prevent splintering.

John
If you use light pressure on the saw, particularly as you near the end of the cut, splintering should not be a problem but the tape does make for a smoother cut line.
Old 06-21-22, 10:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
I've always had easy and clean results on carbon parts with a fine-tooth hacksaw, tape, and a hose clamp as an alignment guide. A quick rub with fine sandpaper eases the edges to finish the job.
Old 06-21-22, 11:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
This is timely advice as I soon need to cut a 400 mm CF seat post for a new build with a vintage (i.e., 2000) frame that has a horizontal top tube.

Eric F Andrew R Stewart HillRider delbiker1 Just buy two of these?

Everbilt 1/2 - 1-1/4 in. Stainless Steel Hose Clamp 6712595 (homedepot.com)

Other than sanding to deburr the new end, do I need to add some epoxy to prevent splintering in the future? Or would I end up supergluing the seat post in the frame?
Old 06-21-22, 11:40 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is timely advice as I soon need to cut a 400 mm CF seat post for a new build with a vintage (i.e., 2000) frame that has a horizontal top tube.

Eric F Andrew R Stewart HillRider delbiker1 Just buy two of these?

Everbilt 1/2 - 1-1/4 in. Stainless Steel Hose Clamp 6712595 (homedepot.com)

Other than sanding to deburr the new end, do I need to add some epoxy to prevent splintering in the future? Or would I end up supergluing the seat post in the frame?
I just use one, and pay attention to keeping the blade against the band. I have never dressed the cut end with anything, and haven't had an issue. Superglue would probably work (let it dry before you put the post in the frame). Clear nail polish would probably work, too.
Old 06-21-22, 05:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

The end of a seat post is a pretty unstressed spot. Not at all what i would suspect the top of a steerer sees. I have painted the cut face of a carbon tube with both paint and epoxy. Can't say that either addition made any difference. Andy
Old 06-21-22, 07:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The end of a seat post is a pretty unstressed spot. Not at all what i would suspect the top of a steerer sees. I have painted the cut face of a carbon tube with both paint and epoxy. Can't say that either addition made any difference. Andy
Thank you, this is an excellent and logical point.
Old 06-21-22, 11:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've cut several CF steer tubes and handlebar ends and one seat post with just whatever hack saw I have on hand, and no guide. I put tape on the tube, mark a perfectly "square" circle (or several marks on the right line) around the tube where the cut needs to be, and carefully and slowly cut so that the cut follows the marked line. Nothing special except go slowly, adjust continually and dress the cut afterwards.That said, for cutting down a seat post it really doesn't need to be square at all. For steer tube and handlebar ends, it should be decently square, but exactly square is not necessary. If it is not good enough with careful free-hand sawing, you can square it off better with a file to get it within whatever personal tolerance and/or aesthetics you need.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-22-22 at 12:03 AM.