Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X Gravel Bike

Old 06-27-22, 05:29 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Only thing I HAD to change immediately was the saddle, at 130mm it is way too narrow for me. Minimum I need is 141-143, much wider not necessary for me.
Otherwise the 'stock' bike works precisely, shifting is precise and reliable, wheels are solid and run smoothly, mech discs work great (I will NOT change them to hydraulic - not necessary for me), 'fit'/position is adjustable within my preferences. 46cm bars are OK, but I prefer 44...
If I lived in an area with 'wet weather', I would seal the unused mount holes, like the brake holes in fork, extra cable hole in downtube. I did that anyway, because I don't want dust/dirt entry into the fork or frame.
Sturdy, reliable, fast enough considering the range of terrain it can handle.
[....]
EDIT: OK, not using the stock flats, not using the CHester flats I tried. Put on Crank Bros ACID pedals I like...
Have 450 mi on the X so far, of which about 15 might be called 'gravel', 25mi road, remainder would be what most riders do on an mtb
Thank you for the reply Yuri
I'd put on a Brook to start as I always do.
This seems like a perfect not-my-road-bike for street shoes, moderate gravel, rain, light luggage.
I especially like the gearing. (Hate typical compact doubles,)
I sold a Specialized AWOL-Something because it was just too over the top adventury and heavy for my needs, tho it was superb for what it was.

Wondering if I can live with the flat bar which is not what I'm used to.
Cheaper, more bag and accessory options, while the brifters on the bullhorns look like a weakness.
Old 06-27-22, 06:09 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Wondering if I can live with the flat bar which is not what I'm used to.
Cheaper, more bag and accessory options, while the brifters on the bullhorns look like a weakness.
Whatz Dis 'Flat Bar' ding ???? Sounds like a great way to dislike ridin...
DropBar all the way ! The Microshift Brifters and Advent X Clutch RD are awesome! Reliable, seem bulletproof, and never miss a shift.
I have and use the 10 spd Microshift road stuff on one roadie, and both this and the Advent X gravel stuff works as well as any of my Shimano 105 or Ultegra stuff...
If you decide you don;t like the Microshift stuff and 'upgrade', I'd be happy to buy your take-offs ... I have a roadie/CX frame I'm thinking to build up with 1x 10 spd, and the microshift stuff would suit perfect... Trying to buy drivetrain stuff right now is almost impossible - even prices from china are ridiculous...
Ride On
Yuri
If you were referring to my mention of 'flats' - that was for PEDALS, which I tried on the X, but found I prefer 'clipless' - Crank Bros eggbeater compatible...
flat bars give me hives...
Old 06-27-22, 06:34 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Good to know.
(And I understood you meant pedals)

Whatz Dis 'Flat Bar' ding ???? Sounds like a great way to dislike ridin...
DropBar all the way ! The Microshift Brifters and Advent X Clutch RD are awesome! Reliable, seem bulletproof, and never miss a shift.
I have and use the 10 spd Microshift road stuff on one roadie, and both this and the Advent X gravel stuff works as well as any of my Shimano 105 or Ultegra stuff...
If you decide you don;t like the Microshift stuff and 'upgrade', I'd be happy to buy your take-offs ... I have a roadie/CX frame I'm thinking to build up with 1x 10 spd, and the microshift stuff would suit perfect... Trying to buy drivetrain stuff right now is almost impossible - even prices from china are ridiculous...
Ride On
Yuri
If you were referring to my mention of 'flats' - that was for PEDALS, which I tried on the X, but found I prefer 'clipless' - Crank Bros eggbeater compatible...
flat bars give me hives...
Old 06-27-22, 10:51 PM
Cnguyen323

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
My X spends most of its time relegated to trailer duty on pavement. As the kid gets heavier EVERY WEEK it became increasingly difficult to stop the ~70lb train behind me. Upgraded to thru axle, TRP HY/RD brakes, RT86 rotors, and compressionless housing. I could do stop it on the factory setup, but there was some shuttering when braking kind of hard. I just didn't want to be a liability on the group ride because I had to really anticipate the need to stop, so I upgraded. I had the TA fork painted in the process. Turned out nice.

I've got a set of gravel wheels and tires in addition to the road set if the event ever arises to take it off road.

hope the kid knows how cool this build is!

I知 always jealous of this color of X because of that orange fork. I知 thinking juin techs or maybe some decent 2 piston mech brakes. I知 a thick rider so I値l benefit from improved braking.

how are you liking the hy/rds?
Old 06-28-22, 05:49 AM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnguyen323
hope the kid knows how cool this build is!

I知 always jealous of this color of X because of that orange fork. I知 thinking juin techs or maybe some decent 2 piston mech brakes. I知 a thick rider so I値l benefit from improved braking.

how are you liking the hy/rds?
One of the few complaints I had about the X was the flat black fork. It just didn't flow with the rest of the bike. I know it was a cost saving step and I do appreciate that in the spirit of what the bike is, but I took advantage of fixing it when the TA conversion kit came in. I figured I'd go loud and match the lettering instead of matching the green. I think it turned out nicely.

I'm really enjoying the new braking system. I can't give all the praise to one thing or the other since I changed them all at the same time, but the only thing I don't like is how loud the rotors are at harder braking moments. I'm hoping that sort of breaks in or I'm changing them. I'm about 188lbs right now and the kid/trailer is about 70 depending on what else is in there to occupy him. That's a lot of weight and momentum to control and these brakes are doing well so far I think.

And he knows!

Likes For OkFine:
Old 11-10-22, 04:27 AM
Earl5607

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by favero_
Hey everyone!

So I've been very happy with my Poseidon X 2021, and I've been thinking of ways to upgrade it. By people talking here in the forum I thought it would be a great idea to upgrade the wheels. I saw the Hunt ones, and even though they seem very good, I started drooling by the Scribe Carbon Gravel Wide++. The question is: am I crazy for wanting to put a U$1,000 wheel in a U$699 bike? I use it for commute and also for some weekend gravel-trailing, so I could definitely use the added lightness and compliance of the carbon wheel...

Any thoughts?

Also, any tire suggestion that could go with it?

Thanks!

my first upgrade was a 36t narrow wide chain ring. It gave up a little speed on the top end but have that .75-1 climbing gear on the low side has made all the difference with Colorado痴 mountains.
Old 11-14-22, 07:51 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Shimano GRX aluminum gravel wheelset is about $450 and weighs ~1550 grams. Hard to beat that. With the money you save you could get a great set of Rene Herse super light tires to compliment the whole setup nicely.
Old 11-15-22, 02:26 AM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Did anyone of you install a QR Seat Post Clamp on your Poseidon X? If so, what brand did you go with? I am getting my Poseidon X on Thursday.

Last edited by Senathon; 11-15-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 09:33 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Senathon
Did anyone of you replace the QR Seat Post Clamp? If so, what brand did you go with? I am getting my Poseidon X on Thursday.
mine came with a std seatpost clamp, as noted in the photos...?
are you wanting to put ON a QR clamp?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-15-22, 11:29 AM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
mine came with a std seatpost clamp, as noted in the photos...?
are you wanting to put ON a QR clamp?
Ride On
Yuri
Sorry, I meant to say install not replaced. Yes, I am putting on a QR clamp as one of my upgrades.
Old 11-15-22, 06:19 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Senathon
Sorry, I meant to say install not replaced. Yes, I am putting on a QR clamp as one of my upgrades.
I'm interested in hearing why you would put on a QR post clamp?
I can see wanting to go lower for extended downhills on dirt/non-paved sections, but for that I''ve considered adding a dropper post.
A dropper post with suspension... like the PNW coast Dropper post.
I had a QR on my old school mtbs. but after a few uses, never found I wanted to make use of it while riding...
One upgrade I did put on my X was a suspension post - older Rockshox post - to take the edge off some of the thumping... it works really well.
I have ride buddies who have put on the Redshift suspension seatpost, and they like their's a bunch also.
Other 'upgrade' I can recommend is the Redshift Shockstop Stem - take the edge off the hits one gets coming up thru the front end.
Not quite like mtb suspension forks, but just enough greatly reduce what does come thru.
For me, it has no effect on steering control or ride quality - I really like it - a bit pricey and adds a small amount of weight - but all well worth it for me.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-15-22, 06:46 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm interested in hearing why you would put on a QR post clamp?
I can see wanting to go lower for extended downhills on dirt/non-paved sections, but for that I''ve considered adding a dropper post.
A dropper post with suspension... like the PNW coast Dropper post.
I had a QR on my old school mtbs. but after a few uses, never found I wanted to make use of it while riding...
Yuri
I was going to use the QR for adjusting on my riding patterns, but it sounds like a Dropper would be better than a QR. Also I have a feeling that my son might borrow my bike and just force the seat up and down without tools which is why I was looking at a QR.

Last edited by Senathon; 11-15-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 09:23 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

If any is considering an X or Redwood...
Poseidon has all their bikes now on 'Black Friday' Pricing - $100 off
So X Dropbar for $649, Flatbar for $549, Redwood Dropbar $849, Redwood Flatbar $779, Triton road $599...
Ride On
​​​​​​​Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-26-23, 06:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Two Poseidon bike repairs came in the shop this week and I feel like I just have to warn folks about this.

One was in the repair stand and we noticed the right side of the handlebar seemed lower than the left. At first we thought it had been crashed and the bars were bent but we could not find any evidence of a crash. We kept investigating and finally clamped the seat tube vertical with a level in the stand, held the steering perfectly straight, then measured across the bars with a level and by measuring from the bar ends to the ground. The bars were clearly crooked with the right side end almost an inch lower than the left side. Then we checked out the other Poseidon we had in the shop and found it was crooked in the same way by almost the same amount! We were unable to determine if the heat tube was welded crooked in the frame or if the stem was flawed, but both bikes were almost identically crooked.

There are other low-cost but good quality gravel bikes out there like the entry level Salsa Journeyer (Advent, Claris, Acolyte and Altus models as low as $1,029) that are just a couple hundred bucks more expensive than the Poseidon. I suggest considering these bikes as an alternative to the Poseidon as they may be a huge jump up in quality for a reasonable amount of additional money.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-27-23, 10:12 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Two Poseidon bike repairs came in the shop this week and I feel like I just have to warn folks about this.

One was in the repair stand and we noticed the right side of the handlebar seemed lower than the left. At first we thought it had been crashed and the bars were bent but we could not find any evidence of a crash. We kept investigating and finally clamped the seat tube vertical with a level in the stand, held the steering perfectly straight, then measured across the bars with a level and by measuring from the bar ends to the ground. The bars were clearly crooked with the right side end almost an inch lower than the left side. Then we checked out the other Poseidon we had in the shop and found it was crooked in the same way by almost the same amount! We were unable to determine if the heat tube was welded crooked in the frame or if the stem was flawed, but both bikes were almost identically crooked.

There are other low-cost but good quality gravel bikes out there like the entry level Salsa Journeyer (Advent, Claris, Acolyte and Altus models as low as $1,029) that are just a couple hundred bucks more expensive than the Poseidon. I suggest considering these bikes as an alternative to the Poseidon as they may be a huge jump up in quality for a reasonable amount of additional money.
If that's the case, the owners of the bike are covered under Poseidon's original owner lifetime warranty policy if it's a frame issue. Also if you work at a bike shop, how hard is it not to remove the carbon fork and remove the bars from the stem to accurately check? Even my 9 year old son with a torque wrench can figure that out.
Old 03-27-23, 10:28 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
I believe he owns the shop

and a bike owner might not be too happy if they dropped off their bike (for whatever) - and the bike shop disassembled their bike to inspect a suspected frame/fork/stem(?) quality issue (without first consulting with owner etc)
Old 03-28-23, 08:18 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
If that's the case, the owners of the bike are covered under Poseidon's original owner lifetime warranty policy if it's a frame issue. Also if you work at a bike shop, how hard is it not to remove the carbon fork and remove the bars from the stem to accurately check? Even my 9 year old son with a torque wrench can figure that out.
We were able to confirm the defect without disassembling the bike by quickly leveling it in the stand and measuring to the floor. It would be up to the bike owner to file any warranty claims.

My reason for posting this is, for a new buyer in the price range between $800 and $1500, you can get a huge amount more bike for just a couple hundred dollars more in price. For folks looking to buy a gravel bike I think this is worthwhile information to consider.

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-28-23 at 08:35 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-29-23, 08:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
You have a very talented 9 year old. Many adults dont know how to accurately use a torque wrench.
Old 03-30-23, 05:21 PM
dwmckee

Our customer picked up the pair of Poseidons today and acknowledged the defect. With his approval we did some more investigation and found both stems were crooked by about 3 - 4 degrees which you can see by eye. We've seen just about everything over the years, but this is the first time we have seen two defective stems. Since there were two bad stems from bikes bought at the same time my guess is that this problem could affect other bikes purchased around the same time as well, but that is just a guess. If you ride a Poseidon you might want to check out your stem; these bikes were purchased 2 years ago so parts are most likely out of warranty.
Old 04-03-23, 12:37 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Actually, Poseidon frames (not including the fork) are guaranteed for life. If this is truly the case, I’m sure Poseidon would make good, especially since it is two frames.
Old 04-09-23, 08:50 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Actually, Poseidon frames (not including the fork) are guaranteed for life. If this is truly the case, I知 sure Poseidon would make good, especially since it is two frames.
Maybe, I could not say either way, but a stem normally is not considered part of a frame.
Old 04-10-23, 09:56 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

That is very true, I was talking about the head tube. I was assuming you helped out your customers and determined what this issue was...
Old 04-10-23, 06:06 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by NitroExpress
That is very true, I was talking about the head tube. I was assuming you helped out your customers and determined what this issue was...
Yep, see comment #145 above. With customers permission we dug a little further and were able to figure out the stems were simply defective.
Old 04-14-23, 07:01 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
We were able to confirm the defect without disassembling the bike by quickly leveling it in the stand and measuring to the floor. It would be up to the bike owner to file any warranty claims.

My reason for posting this is, for a new buyer in the price range between $800 and $1500, you can get a huge amount more bike for just a couple hundred dollars more in price. For folks looking to buy a gravel bike I think this is worthwhile information to consider.
Other than the defective stems on the Poseidon's you checked what makes the Poseidon less desirable than a brand name bike at a couple hundred more? I am in the market and honestly want to know.
Old 04-17-23, 03:26 PM
NitroExpress

RH, for what it's worth I'll share experience with my Poseidon, I have about 500 miles on it. Not sure which one you are looking at, I have the X Ambition.
1.The claimed weight of 25lbs (W/O Pedals) was pretty accurate.
2. The frame welds look fine, they are not perfect, but no issues.
3. The bike was very easy to put together, although I have been building bikes since 1974, so if you have NO experience with this you may want some help.
4. I did have to adjust the brakes, not a big deal 3mm Allen wrench.
5. I also had to adjust the derailleur, again not a big deal...
6. Stock tires are 40mm Kenda, I swapped out for 43mm Panaracer GravelKing SK's (much lighter and I wanted the added width for bikepacking).
7. Stock cassette is steel, I switched out to alloy (8 oz lighter).
8. Seat is personal preference, I sold stock seat and put on a Brooks C17.
9. I got the bike when it was $800, I have $1,100 into it.
10. They do offer a Thru-Axle upgrade for $300, which includes a full tune of the bike and tubeless set-up, this would be worth it.
11. With Shimano SPD Pedal E-PDM324 and (2) bottle cages, the bike weighs 25.05Lbs; I'm happy.
12. No issues with anything else, if there is a much better bike out there for $1,200, I'm not aware of it; especially with Aluminum frame & Carbon fork.
13. Looking at reviews, I think the Advent X group is as good or better than other groups in the same price range.
14. All that being said, going to your LBS will get you full service... I can see the advantages of that.
15. The brakes are spongy, I will upgrade to JagWire housings, <$35.
Likes For NitroExpress:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.