Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New 2022 Checkpoint

Old 04-09-22, 11:42 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Wish I I had not seen this. I had to look at my Domane SL5. Note if you remove the the brake disc ya can flip the wheel over. Deflating the tire also helps fit a pair of digital callipers. I’m shifted 1mm to the drive side.

Wonder if I can flip my crank over and replace a cassette sprocket with a brake disc.
Old 04-09-22, 11:58 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Little stuff like this drives me nuts!!! But I am sure it's going to be OK...

I have not had any problems aligning my bikes but they are all old school. My neighbor brought over his Tri-suspension disk braked mountain bike that he gave a little twist to on his last ride. RATS!!! I did not know what to do. We were lucky. It was just his wheel out of true and we could handle that...

Last edited by zandoval; 04-09-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-09-22, 08:57 PM
ejewels

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Wish I I had not seen this. I had to look at my Domane SL5. Note if you remove the the brake disc ya can flip the wheel over. Deflating the tire also helps fit a pair of digital callipers. I’m shifted 1mm to the drive side.

Wonder if I can flip my crank over and replace a cassette sprocket with a brake disc.
yeah, but nobody here engineered the frame so we can only assume it’s by design or within tolerances. I had checked the bike overall for alignment between the 2 wheels and all seemed well on that front.
Old 04-19-22, 02:46 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
where are the two wheels from? Are they the stock wheels? What other bike are the used from?

I'm thinking it's the RD hanger being different than spec Shimano RD universal vs Sram universal vs Trek designed. ....or the wheel end caps (why is the rear brake bolt so far offset inward)
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ger/p/W524188/
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ac-drhg-mtb-a1
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...erailleur.html

Last edited by jfranci3; 04-19-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 02:57 PM
YoughRiverDavid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I recently looked at 2022 Checkpoint AL5 and SL5. I checked for the "offset". One thing I noted was that the chain stays on the ALR are not symmetrical. On the SL carbon frame they are.

I am going shopping again on Friday. Does anybody have comments between the 2022 ALR5 and the 2022 SLR5. Is the increased price worth the jump to the carbon frame? I mostly ride rail-trail and my long ride would be about 40 miles (Connellsville to Ohiopyle round trip on the GAP).

I am not a speed demon. I am not a lightweight rider. Everybody says carbon will not fail or crack if fit falls over. Will I need to treat the bike with kid gloves? The carbon SL does come with isospeed - a carbon seat post, and the down tube storage - I am sure I can stuff something in there.

I liked the "white" ALR5. Going to look at the Mercury Satin SL5. (I have seen the Red SL5 - I it looks good at first glance but also says "steal me" - at least my wife said that.)

I may go with two wheelsets- a slow and a fast. 38-42mm for casual rides with my wife and a narrow (32-38) tire for "dry day" longer solo faster rides. Also, for my future SIL to borrow when he is in town without his BMC Team Machine - he knocks off 50 miles on trail/road rides. He is neutral on the buy.

While shopping a few weeks ago one of the Trek store managers said he was upgrading his older model carbon checkpoint to a 2022 - he thought it was worth it because of the geometry change. He and another shopper (who also has a carbon Checkpoint with the Aeolus 3V wheels) both recommended the carbon over aluminum if I can swing the prices.

This may well be my "last" n+1 bike. (I say that today.)
Old 05-09-22, 10:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by YoughRiverDavid
The carbon SL does come with isospeed - a carbon seat post, and the down tube storage - I am sure I can stuff something in there.
This is reason enough to get the Carbon version. My Domane has all of these features and they work as marketed.
Old 05-10-22, 01:25 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I had a steel Trek 850 MTB back in the 90's that had this same problem on the rear triangle.The rear wheel was a good 2-3mm off to one side. I just rode it, but it always bugged me a little bit. It was more noticeable with rim v-brakes, because the arms would be angled to one side and not symmetrical on the wheel. I always suspected that the frame got bent somehow, but there were no obvious signs of damage.

I've never noticed this issue on any other bikes I've owned. Even my Cannondale SuperX with the 6mm "ai offset" still has a perfectly centered rear wheel (ok... nothing's perfect, but <1mm). I did try to slot a regular dish rear wheel in there out of curiosity, and 6mm is a pretty big offset.
Old 05-16-22, 05:14 AM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I had a steel Trek 850 MTB back in the 90's that had this same problem on the rear triangle.The rear wheel was a good 2-3mm off to one side. I just rode it, but it always bugged me a little bit. It was more noticeable with rim v-brakes, because the arms would be angled to one side and not symmetrical on the wheel. I always suspected that the frame got bent somehow, but there were no obvious signs of damage.

I've never noticed this issue on any other bikes I've owned. Even my Cannondale SuperX with the 6mm "ai offset" still has a perfectly centered rear wheel (ok... nothing's perfect, but <1mm). I did try to slot a regular dish rear wheel in there out of curiosity, and 6mm is a pretty big offset.
apparently the offset is normal and somewhat by design on the ALR
Old 06-22-22, 11:48 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by ejewels
Bumping this just for FYI. I looked at 4 checkpoints now and all of them seem to have some offset. Only on the alu frames. So if anyone sees this I’m thinking this is by design.
Or systematic production error.
Old 06-22-22, 11:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by biker128pedal

Your living room looks like mine.

I'm still unclear: Did you conclude it is the frame vs. the wheel?
Old 06-22-22, 05:01 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Your living room looks like mine.

I'm still unclear: Did you conclude it is the frame vs. the wheel?
Old throw rug in front of the work bench on the concrete garage floor. As for frame or wheel I don’t know. Had forgotten about it. Now like a song I can’t get it out of my head. Anyway 1 mm was not enough to worry about. I did not want to take the time to find string and long straight edges to check the frame.

My main point of the picture was to show one can flip the wheel if the brake disk is removed.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 06-24-22 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-22-22, 05:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Tough audience.
Old 06-26-22, 07:33 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Or systematic production error.
doubtful, trek confirmed
Old 06-26-22, 08:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by ejewels
doubtful, trek confirmed
My wife and I both spent a lot of time today checking out checkpoints (the carbon versions). Those all looked fine, fwiw. I didn't see the Al version.
Old 06-26-22, 08:25 PM
ejewels

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My wife and I both spent a lot of time today checking out checkpoints (the carbon versions). Those all looked fine, fwiw. I didn't see the Al version.
Al versions seems to have it. Not a big deal anymore but thx all
Likes For ejewels:
Old 06-28-22, 03:29 PM
davesupra

Bikes: '22 Trek Checkpoint SL5, '21 Salsa Spearfish/'13 9ZERO7 Fatty/'16 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by YoughRiverDavid
I recently looked at 2022 Checkpoint AL5 and SL5. I checked for the "offset". One thing I noted was that the chain stays on the ALR are not symmetrical. On the SL carbon frame they are.
I am going shopping again on Friday. Does anybody have comments between the 2022 ALR5 and the 2022 SLR5. Is the increased price worth the jump to the carbon frame? I mostly ride rail-trail and my long ride would be about 40 miles (Connellsville to Ohiopyle round trip on the GAP).
I am not a speed demon. I am not a lightweight rider. Everybody says carbon will not fail or crack if fit falls over. Will I need to treat the bike with kid gloves? The carbon SL does come with isospeed - a carbon seat post, and the down tube storage - I am sure I can stuff something in there.
I liked the "white" ALR5. Going to look at the Mercury Satin SL5. (I have seen the Red SL5 - I it looks good at first glance but also says "steal me" - at least my wife said that.)
I may go with two wheelsets- a slow and a fast. 38-42mm for casual rides with my wife and a narrow (32-38) tire for "dry day" longer solo faster rides. Also, for my future SIL to borrow when he is in town without his BMC Team Machine - he knocks off 50 miles on trail/road rides. He is neutral on the buy.
While shopping a few weeks ago one of the Trek store managers said he was upgrading his older model carbon checkpoint to a 2022 - he thought it was worth it because of the geometry change. He and another shopper (who also has a carbon Checkpoint with the Aeolus 3V wheels) both recommended the carbon over aluminum if I can swing the prices.
This may well be my "last" n+1 bike. (I say that today.)
I have a 2022 SL5 and I really like it. I mostly ride it on road and gravel, but I've also ridden it a little on some singletrack and haven't had any issues with it. I'm not sure what your weight is, but I don't think you'll have to treat it with kid gloves. The downtube storage is nice, the bike comes with a pouch that fits in there that has pockets for tubes, CO2, tire irons, etc. It's pretty slick. I got the red, but only because the gray wasn't available. The color is growing on me.

Now I have to go check if the rear wheel is centered in the frame.
Likes For davesupra:
Old 06-28-22, 08:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Some of you really study your bikes carefully. I just ride mine.
Old 06-28-22, 09:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Koyote
Some of you really study your bikes carefully. I just ride mine.
Wife wants one, and we were test-riding $8K versions. (The SL5 is probably the most I would spend). I'm always curious because I want to fit the widest tire possible. More than 1mm is wasted. One of the best things about this bike is the tire clearance.
Old 06-28-22, 09:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Wife wants one, and we were test-riding $8K versions. (The SL5 is probably the most I would spend). I'm always curious because I want to fit the widest tire possible. More than 1mm is wasted. One of the best things about this bike is the tire clearance.
Yeah, I'm just poking a little fun. If I saw an offset wheel, I'd suspect a dishing issue before I'd think of frame misalignment.
Old 06-28-22, 09:19 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yeah, I'm just poking a little fun. If I saw an offset wheel, I'd suspect a dishing issue before I'd think of frame misalignment.
Me, too, which is why I keep asking. Thankfully a dishing issue is much easier to deal with. (I finally calmed down and turned a spoke wrench.)
Old 07-01-22, 01:54 PM
davesupra

Bikes: '22 Trek Checkpoint SL5, '21 Salsa Spearfish/'13 9ZERO7 Fatty/'16 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davesupra
Now I have to go check if the rear wheel is centered in the frame.
It seems the wheel gap is even on mine.

Top view

Bottom View
Old 08-10-22, 08:23 PM
Ikester

Bikes: Trek Marlin 2012, Giant Defy 1, Trek Domane 4.5, Giant Toughroad GX1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I have a 2022 ALR5 checkpoint, mine is a 61, FWIW. Same color as yours…. Mine has the uneven spacing, however it’s not near as bad as yours. I am glad someone else noticed and posted, I just figured since it took 10 months for me to get my Checkpoint t, and there are literally none in stock near me, that I would just ride it a s suffer with the fact it doesn’t 100% meet my expectations. I had some serious frame and BB dents/ scratches from the factory/ store that got me a healthy percent off, so no way was I returning it. My light at the end of the tunnel? Next checkpoint redesign, I’ll buy a new bike😎. In the meantime, this bike beats my Giant Toughroad GX in so many ways, I really couldn’t be happier.
Old 08-24-22, 03:36 PM
Buddy94

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 , Firemans 4 BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bummer to the OP. Didn't read all the responses but just measured my '22 ALR 5 and it is with +/- 0.5mm (tires on...not referencing the wheel directly) the best I can measure with my calipers.
Old 08-25-22, 09:53 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
stock machine built wheels likely had the dish off a lil bit. Carbon wheelset time
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.